Storm Echo

by Nalini Singh

202952,090 (4.3)1
New York Times bestselling author Nalini Singh takes us into the hearts of two fractured people in a world on the brink of a psychic Armageddon . . . Silence has fallen. The Psy are free to feel emotion. Free to love. But Silence was never a prison for Ivan Mercant. The biggest threat to his future lies dormant in his brain--a psychic monster that wants only to feed. And now, the brutal leash he's kept on that monster is slipping. He prepared for this day, for the end of Ivan Mercant . . . but that was before he met Lei.   As primal as she is human, this wild changeling brings color into his life, laughter to his soul. Then the dream shatters in a rain of blood, in silent bodies in the snow. Lei is gone. Vanished without a trace . . . until he meets strangely familiar eyes across a busy San Francisco street.   Soleil Bijoux Garcia is a healer who has lost everything. She exists in a world of desolate aloneness . . . till the day she finds herself face-to-face with a lethal stranger. The animal who is her other half knows this man, but her memories are tattered fragments. Sorrow and a need for vengeance are all that drive her. Her mission? To kill the alpha of the DarkRiver leopard pack.   But fate has other plans. Soon, a deadly soldier who believes himself a monster and a broken healer might be all that stand between life and death for the entire Psy race. . . .… (more)

The fall of Silence meant the emotional world opened up for many of the Psy. No longer did they need to keep their feelings bottled up. However, for some, it was more a curse than a blessing. Ivan Mercant has struggled with the monster that has lived inside of him since he was young. Silence and strong shields kept him in check, but Silence is gone and his shields seem to be no match for the growing darkness within.

One day he comes face-to-face with changeling healer Soleil and instantly feels a connection only to be separated after a terrible attack on Soleil's pack leaves her gravely injured.

A year later Ivan and Soleil cross paths once again while rescuing those affected by another attack on the PsyNet by the chaotic Scarabs. But Soleil knows nothing of the man before her only that her animal recognizes and claims him.

As they contend with the possible implosion of the PsyNet, along with Ivan's ever-increasing power, it seems their time together may be finite.

Nalini Singh really chose an interesting way in which to bring together Ivan and Soleil, but I'm not entirely certain that it worked out completely to plan. As readers, we're up to speed on their relationship status from all angles. There's no surprise or twist on our end, it's more about waiting for the characters to catch up with the narrative, which moves their arc forward at a rather slow pace.

In my opinion, Ivan and Soleil aren't really breaking any new ground from the myriad of relationships we've seen across the original and spin-off series. I do appreciate the effort in trying to approach things from a different angle. All in all, Ivan and Soleil's story was still a good one.

I loved that with Soliel being a changeling we of course get to spend time with the OG characters in the DarkRiver pack. I always love that with such a long-running series Nalini Singh continually reminds readers where things began and still shows appreciation for these fan favorites.

Where Storm Echo really caught me was with the over-arching storyline that we've been contending with through the whole of the Trinity series. Dealing with the mysterious Architect and their uncontrollable Scarabs moved leaps and bounds in this story and really sets up what's to come next. I really hope the momentum continues into the next book. I really can't say enough about this twist. I WON'T say anymore in order to avoid spoilers, but well played Nalini Singh, well played. ( )
  AmyM3317 | Aug 10, 2022 |
This is the sixth book in the Psy-Changeling Trinity series. While it is a romance, it also moves the larger story arc begun in the first Psy-Changeling book along.

The romance features Psy Ivan Mercant and Changeling Soleil Bijoux Garcia. Both are deeply troubled people. Ivan was exposed to drugs while he was in his drug-addicted mother's womb which changed his brain structure. He had a difficult childhood until his mother died and he was found by the powerful Mercant family. The Mercants are spies but they also have a strong, close family structure despite the rules of Silence which should have governed them. Lei also had a difficult childhood. She's a healer who was raised by her loving parents, both loners, who lived outside their clan. They died in a car accident when Lei was about eight. At that time, she was taken to her grandfather's clan but was never accepted by him or by his son when he became the alpha.

Ivan and Lei meet in Texas when Ivan is at a wolf training course and Lei is contemplating leaving the clan that doesn't accept her. They are fascinated with each other, but before their relationship can go anywhere, there is a rupture in the Psynet which causes the Psy who live adjacent to Lei's pack to go on a murderous rampage killing most of Lei's pack. Lei herself is almost dead when Ivan finds her. He loses track of her when she is sent from one hospital to another in the aftermath of the rupture.

Lei has lost her memory of ever meeting Ivan. She is living only for revenge when Ivan encounters her again in San Francisco. Lei is determined to kill Lucas Hunter who is the alpha of DarkRiver. She believes that he killed the few survivors of her former pack. She doesn't remember Ivan but her cat does and chooses him as her mate. Only Ivan believes that his will shortly go crazy because of his pre-birth brain damage and, while he wants Lei, he doesn't want to take her with him when he goes insane.

I enjoyed Ivan and Lei's hard-won romance. I also liked having some of the questions that have been left unanswered in earlier books finally answered. Of course, there are still many unanswered questions remaining about this unknown enemy's determination to bring down the PsyNet and kill countless Psy.

Fans of the series will enjoy this episode. Ivan and Lei are both characters who are badly in need of a happy ending. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 7, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,996,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible