Death a Sketch (A Paint & Shine Mystery) by…

Death a Sketch (A Paint & Shine Mystery) (edition 2022)

by Cheryl Hollon (Author)

In rural Kentucky, business is booming for Miranda Trent's unique Appalachian adventure tour company, Paint & Shine. But sometimes murder lurks amid the peaceful mountains, scenic views, and moonshine ... Miranda's business-combining Appalachian adventure tours with art and a bit of moonshine-is the perfect place for an outdoor sporting goods company to hold an employee retreat. It'll be a challenge, but the money they're paying will definitely help with building her new distillery. Miranda has lots of teamwork-fostering activities planned, from sketching classes to Southern cooking, but the executive running things prefers a more competitive spirit. In fact, after the workers are split into teams, they're told that only the winners will keep their jobs, and tensions begin to spike. Even after a participant is found dead, the contest continues-while Miranda starts drawing her own conclusions about the ambitious attendees. Now she just has to find the proof . . .… (more)
Member:Paulajr
Title:Death a Sketch (A Paint & Shine Mystery)
Authors:Cheryl Hollon (Author)
Info:Kensington (2022), 288 pages
Collections:To read

Work Information

Death a Sketch (A Paint & Shine Mystery Book 3) by Cheryl Hollon

Kris_Anderson | Aug 17, 2022 |
Death a Sketch by Cheryl Hollon takes us to back to Kentucky where Miranda Trent runs Paint & Shine. Her latest group is from Big Sky for a four-day team building experience. Unfortunately, the man in charge, Mr. Burns decides to make a last-minute change. Mr. Burns turns the team building retreat into a competition with serious consequences for the losers. On the first day, Miranda takes the group along with Mr. Burns and his assistant, Rowena (who happens to be an old high school classmate of Miranda’s) on their first hike and competition. After listening to a talk from Park Ranger Austin Morgan, Miranda leads the group down the trail. The group encounters Mr. Burns dead on the ground with Rowena at his side holding a large rock. Miranda wishes to cancel the retreat, but Mr. Burns replacement insists they continue. Rowena is at the top of the sheriff’s suspect list. Miranda knows her old friend could not have harmed her boss. She sets out to prove Rowena’s innocence while continuing the competitive retreat. Miranda finds it challenging because someone is intent on sabotage. Death a Sketch is the third A Paint & Shine Mystery. It can easily be read as a standalone. Death a Sketch is well-written with realistic, developed characters. The story does start off slowly as we are introduced to the retreat members. I enjoyed the author’s vivid descriptions of that area of Kentucky. The Daniel Boone National Forest is a picturesque region. The depictions of the food will have your mouth watering. It was interesting learning more about the making of moonshine. The mystery was plotted out nicely. There are good suspects along with misdirection. There are clues to help readers solve the whodunit before the reveal (if you pay close attention). Miranda asked questions, but she did little investigating. There were various incidents along the way that kept things lively. I did feel the reveal was a wee bit rushed along with the explanation. Sandy, Miranda’s puppy, is adorable. He helped reduce the stress of the participants. Miranda’s mother only had a cameo in this book. She had to go out of town to complete the sale of her home. I like Miranda’s mother and I hope she will join her daughter in sleuthing in future books. Miranda is slowly getting the distillery off the ground. I hope she makes the deadline. Miranda is finding her place in the community and her romance with Austin is progressing nicely. Death a Sketch is a lively cozy with workshop woes, moonshine mixing, an eliminated executive, a cuddly canine, contestant sabotage, a romantic park ranger, and a caught killer. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Aug 7, 2022 |
Death A Sketch is the third book in the Paint And Shine Mystery series by Cheryl Hollon.

The Big Sky Company has hired Miranda to handle a 4-day team-building workshop consisting of competitions, games, and challenges. There will be two 4-person teams competing, and the teams will consist of those that are being considered for upper management. Miranda is looking forward to seeing Rowena Gardner, her friend from high school and currently an administrative assistant at Big Sky, and will be keeping track of the teams' performances.

On the first day on the trail, Rowena tells Miranda that Mr. Burns, VP of Operations, has some challenges in mind. He is going back down the path to see if he’s nearby. After Park Ranger Austin Morgan finishes his talk on the Daniel Boone Forest, the group heads back down the trail. Soon they come upon Rowena kneeling and holding a rock with blood on it, next to the dead body of Burns.

Surprisingly the company wants to continue with the team-building event, much to Miranda’s surprise. Miranda senses that the company is far from a compassionate company, and the competition is a way for Big Sky to eliminate some unwanted employees. When Rowena becomes a prime suspect in the murder of Burns, Miranda and Austin will help the local sheriff with his investigation to clear Rowena’s name.

I’m enjoying the series. The book is well-written and plotted. The author depicts the Daniel Boone Forest very descriptively. The characters are well-developed and believable. The story reads at a good pace. There were enough twists and turns that I was guessing until the end as to who the killer was.

The book also includes delicious-sounding recipes.

I will be watching for the next book in the series. ( )
  FredYoder | Jul 29, 2022 |
There seems to be two main types of cozy mystery writers; those that continually go over the suspects and their motives and those that write a good story with lots going on besides continually going over the suspects… and I’m happy that Cheryl Hollon is the second type of author!

Death a Sketch is the third book in the Paint & Shine Mysteries and Hollon continues to have well developed characters, great settings, and wonderful food and drink (mainly moonshine) scenes.

In Death a Sketch we are introduced to 13 new characters (there’s a list at the beginning to help you keep track and it reminded me of classic mysteries of yore!) and with Hollon’s talents of fully developed characters I never had trouble keeping everyone straight while reading. Two of the characters are very unlikable people, but Hollon still had ways for Miranda, the main character, to stand her ground.

The good story with lots going on part involved a company team building that Hollon had going to new locations around the town in eastern Kentucky and participating in various art, cooking, and physical activities. This adds a wonderful layer to the story because we got to read about the beauty of Kentucky and enjoy all the food and cocktails that the characters made.

As for the mystery, this one was more where the reveal comes out of nowhere. While there were lots of suspects, I didn’t really see any clues that would have led the reader to the killer. I’m fine with that, especially since I enjoyed the rest of the book, but I do know some readers like to be able to have the clues peppered in throughout that allows them to solve the whodunnit before the main character.

Another great cozy mystery by Hollon, and I’m looking forward to the next one in the series. ( )
  KimHeniadis | Jul 27, 2022 |
Miranda Trent has her new business moving along and this book deals with her first attempt at corporate teambuilding. However, what the client wants is an event that puts one team against the other - losers are fired and winners get promoted. Dangerous especially when one of the participants ends up dead.

Interesting mystery with beautiful scenery descriptions throughout. Maybe a few more regular characters would be helpful. ( )
  cyderry | Jul 20, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,630,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible