Nightcrawling: A Novel by Leila Mottley

Nightcrawling: A Novel (edition 2022)

by Leila Mottley (Author), Joniece Abbott-Pratt (Narrator), Random House Audio (Publisher)

BOOKER PRIZE LONG-LIST * NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER * AN OPRAH BOOK CLUB PICK * A dazzling novel about a young Black woman who walks the streets of Oakland and stumbles headlong into the failure of its justice system. This debut of a blazingly original voice "bursts at the seams of every page and swallows you whole" (Tommy Orange, author of There There). Kiara and her brother, Marcus, are scraping by in an East Oakland apartment complex optimistically called the Regal-Hi. Both have dropped out of high school, their family fractured by death and prison But while Marcus clings to his dream of rap stardom, Kiara hunts for work to pay their rent--which has more than doubled--and to keep the nine-year-old boy next door, abandoned by his mother, safe and fed. One night, what begins as a drunken misunderstanding with a stranger turns into the job Kiara never imagined wanting but now desperately needs: nightcrawling. Her world breaks open even further when her name surfaces in an investigation that exposes her as a key witness in a massive scandal within the Oakland Police Department. Rich with raw beauty, electrifying intensity, and piercing vulnerability, Nightcrawling marks the stunning arrival of a voice unlike any we have heard before.… (more)
Member:arsolot
Title:Nightcrawling: A Novel
Authors:Leila Mottley (Author)
Other authors:Joniece Abbott-Pratt (Narrator), Random House Audio (Publisher)
Info:Random House Audio (2022)
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Audiobook, race, motherhood, drugs, sex work, sexual abuse

Work Information

Nightcrawling by Leila Mottley

Leila Mottley's debut novel is written in 1st person by 17 year old Liala, a girl brought up on the streets of Oakland, living in Regal-Hi apartment. Her father died after getting out of prison, her mother in jail for drugs and child abandonment, her brother trying to be a rap star, it becomes Laila's job to put food on the table, to pay the rent and to take care of the 9 year old, Trevor, simply because someone has to. She falls into using her body to make some cash, seems to be able to rationalize that it's just skin. “I’ve had sex now and I can do it again, nothing more than a body,” Kiara tells herself. “Skin. I don’t gotta make it more than that. Just till I get us out of our rent debt.” When she is picked up by the Oakland Police department, they turn her into an on demand party favor. Sometimes she gets paid sometimes they tell her that they are protecting her. Even though this is a sad depressing depiction of poverty and sexual abuse, there is a tenderness to Kiara's love for Trevor and for her best friend Ale. This harrowing story is based in on true incident which happened in Oakland when the author was in high school. At the time of this novel Ms. Mottley is just 19 herself. Impressive stuff. ( )
  novelcommentary | Sep 20, 2022 |
A little too much Oprah. I am reminded of the scene in the color purple where they sit and do the hand clap game. Not until the authors note am I struck by A sentence, of the violence that policing can do to a persons body and mind and spirit. ( )
  jconnell | Aug 28, 2022 |
This is truly one of the best books I have ever read in my life. I don't want to say anything about it, I just want everyone to read this and have their heart run through a blender like mine was. ( )
  sublunarie | Aug 9, 2022 |
Nightcrawling is a depressing book. It’s a story that has to be told, though. And if you take the time to read the Author’s Note after the novel’s conclusion, you’ll find out that it is based on fact. Apparently the Oakland, California, police department is as lacking in morals in reality as it is in fiction. Aside from the shocking story line, Mottley is a gifted writer, and to think that she started her novel while still in high school is almost unbelievable. My guess is we’ll be reading masterpieces by Mottley for many years to come. ( )
  DanDiercks | Jul 27, 2022 |
This is a sadly realistic urban novel of Oakland, where 17 year old Kiara and her brother Marcus try to survive without parents or jobs. Kiara also takes charge of the nine year old next door neighbor's son when his mother disappears. Feeling hopeless, Kiara is coerced into having sex with an Oakland police office who threatens to arrest her for prostitution, and then he serves her around to all of his friends. When a reform-minded female officer witnesses Kiara's circumstances, she drops a dime and gets Kiara a lawyer who opens a case against the department. Kiara's only salvation is Ale, a skater girl who yearns to help her, but this will require Kiara to trust her and to admit her need for Ale's support. It's a heartbreaking story, based on true events, with only glimmers of hope. ( )
  froxgirl | Jul 13, 2022 |
The expressive, poetic phrases in this novel don’t obfuscate the dark and revolting scenes, so you’ll need to be in the right mood for this one.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,629,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible