Paula Deen: It Ain't All About the Cookin'…

Paula Deen: It Ain't All About the Cookin'

by Paula Deen

Other authors: Sherry Suib Cohen

Paula Deen shows herself to be the brash, lovable, right-there Southern woman she seems to be on television. Her story is inspiration in what I call the "strong woman" genre, where a woman who doesn't realize her strength and potential is forced by circumstances to fold or bring her greatness forward. I like Paula even more after reading this book.

Bookcrossing: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/6171118/ ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 23, 2014 |
I actually wanted to read this book because someone told me Paula Deen suffered from severe anxiety and agoraphobia and wrote all about it. I'm not agoraphobic but I get panic attacks and I was curious. She only brought it up briefly a couple times and then seemingly figured out her reasons why and cured herself.

I liked this book a little because I like the cook, not the book, and it really needed to be cut in half. She gave out odd advice on opening a restaurant. That said, she told some "secrets" about who she really is. She's a real person, and she's lived a real life. I saw some reviewers who really trashed on her for what she's done. Dude. Like you haven't ever made a mistake? Come on. She was brave for being so real in this book. Other than that the only good thing were the recipes. ( )
  E.J | Apr 3, 2013 |
Autobiography is not my favorite genre, but having watched Paula Deen's show a few times, the book caught my eye when I saw it on the new book shelf at the library. Paula Deen is known for Southern-style "comfort food" and it appears she has needed quite a bit of comfort in her somewhat turbulent life. Fans of Ms. Deen will enjoy the book and be happy for the much better life she has made for herself with the help of her sons. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
I have to admit, i hadn't high hopes for this one. So many shotgun celebrities, get a show, fame, their own magazine and then they write a book.***snore*** but this book I really liked. It was funny,very honest, and charming. ( )
  abitbookish | Oct 26, 2009 |
Paula Deen smokes and curses! Who woulda thunk it?!
  hellobooks45 | Jun 30, 2008 |

Paula Deenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cohen, Sherry Suibsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Do you know the real Paula Deen? You may think you know the butter-loving, finger-licking, joke-cracking queen of melt-in-your-mouth Southern cuisine. You may have even visited The Lady & Sons to taste for yourself the down-home delicacies that made her famous and even heard some version of her Cinderella story (a single mom with two teenage sons started a brown-bag lunch business with $200 and wound up with a thriving restaurant, a fairy-tale second marriage, and wildly popular television shows), but you have never heard the intimate details of her often bumpy road to fame and fortune.

Courageously honest, downright inspiring, and just a little bit saucy, Paula shares the highs and lows of her life in the inimitable charming and irreverent style that you know from her television shows and personal appearances. She talks about long childhood summers spent in a bathing suit and roller skates and hard years living in the back of her father's gas station; a buzzing high school social life of sleepovers, parties, cheerleading, and boys; and a difficult marriage. The death of her beloved parents precipitated a debilitating agoraphobia that crippled her for years. But even when the going got tough, Paula never lost the good grace and sense of humor that would eventually help carry her to success and stardom. Of course, you can't get by on charm alone: as Paula has learned, you need plenty of willpower, hard work, and, above all, the love and support of family and friends to finance, sustain, and run a successful restaurant.

In each chapter, Paula shares new recipes: there's serious comfort food like her momma's Chocolate-Dippy Doughnuts, Courage Chili for when you know life's going to get tough, Sexy Oxtails for seducing that special someone, and the recipe for her new mother-in-law's Banana Nut Delight Cake that Paula finally got just right. And you'll love the never-before-seen photos of her family.

In this memoir, Paula Deen speaks as frankly and intimately as few women in the public eye have ever dared. Whether she's telling tales of good times or bad, her story is proof that the old-fashioned American dream is alive and kicking, and there still is such a thing as a real-life happy ending.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:33 -0400)

You may think you know the finger-licking, joke-cracking queen of Southern cuisine. You may have even visited her restaurant to taste for yourself the down-home delicacies that made her famous, or even heard her Cinderella story (a single mom started a brown-bag lunch business with $200 and wound up with a thriving restaurant, a fairy-tale second marriage, and popular television shows), but you have never heard the intimate details of her often bumpy road to fame and fortune. She talks about long childhood summers; hard years living in the back of her father's gas station; a high school social life of sleepovers, parties, cheerleading, and boys; and a difficult marriage. The death of her parents precipitated a debilitating agoraphobia that crippled her for years. But even when the going got tough, Paula never lost the good grace and sense of humor that would eventually help carry her to success and stardom.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,899,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible