Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban by…

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban (original 1999; edition 2001)

by J.K. Rowling (Author), Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)

Series: Harry Potter (3)

90,9018773 (4.4)9 / 890
During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.
Member:purplegrayson
Title:Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
Authors:J.K. Rowling (Author)
Other authors:Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2001), 448 pages

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling (1999)

Recently added byElels, private library, Rennie80, osjwong, JOlson724, CGHCGH
1990s (31)
Elevenses (129)
Ghosts (108)
books (1)

English (820)  Dutch (11)  German (8)  French (7)  Spanish (7)  Italian (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (870)
I think on previous readings/viewings, the Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite book/movie. Wacky things happen, you get some cool magical thingie moments (the Marauders map is cool as is the Monster Book of Monsters), you see a bit more of the magical world (Hogsmeade!), and you learn a bit more about Harry's parents and how Hogwarts was before Voldemort was at the height of his power.

Speaking of which: another strength of this book is that it basically completely ignores Voldemort. It's a nice switch; one that we don't get to see again.

Also, I like Lupin. He's a pretty cool person to be around, if perhaps not the best teacher ever. Also his class focused just a bit overmuch on the creature side of the Dark Arts (shouldn't most of those be Hagrid's domain?), but perhaps that's a third year thing.

Sirius, on the other hand, I don't really as much for. Any 'only person ever' has to earn it and I really don't think he did. That and he's just so driven. After 13 years in the worst of prisons, I get it, but it doesn't make me like him or want to read about him terribly much. Also, how in the world did he get the Firebolt?

Random things that don't really make sense:

No one tells anyone anything. So many problems in so many books could have been averted if people just talked more.

Time travel. One one hand, it doesn't make sense to give it to teenagers (no matter how gifted). On the other, there is so much more they could have done with it. And knowing what comes next... why does it never come up again? (Cursed Child doesn't count). ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
“I'm not going to be murdered,' Harry said out loud.
'That's the spirit, dear,' said his mirror sleepily.”
― J.K.Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.
So if you are still one of the few people out there who doesn't know what this book is about. I encourage you to read one of the thousand of blurbs available from other reviews. Why? Because I have read this book so many times that I don't even know how to tell someone what its about without completely spoilering (I made this word up) it for you. I can tell you though, that if you haven't read it. DO IT! Don't worry about it being a kids a book. I'm 32 years old and still love this series. Just saying lol.

This is a great series that introduces some important and key characters for later on in the series and so is an absolute must read. We also get to find out more about what happened the night Harry lost his parents which answers some question and satisfies some curiosity I think. There are definitely some plot holes and the logic of it doesn't add up well, so try not to think to much into end of this book. It will spin your head for real, just enjoy the ride.

How I choose my rating:
1* Did not finish, or hated it but forced myself to finish.
2** Didn't really like it. Didn't hate it but not sure why I finished it other then for some closure.
3*** I liked it. I had some issues with it, but as a whole it was good. I probably won't reread again ever, but there is a chance I might finish the series. (If part of one) But if not it's not a huge loss.
4**** I really liked this book. Maybe not a work of genius, but highly entertaining. I might reread this again, and I will finish the series. (If part of one) I would recommend to those I know hold interest in this books content.
5***** I loved this book. I found little to no issues with it at all. I will definitely be rereading this and probably more than once. I will finish the series and reread it multiple times. (If part of one) I will recommend this book to EVERYONE!!!!
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
children's middlegrade fiction
Now 13, Harry and his friends enter their third year at Hogwarts with new challenges and mysteries in store. The time-turner device makes things even more complex than ever, but it's a good, twisty adventure. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I genuinely think that you shouldn't even be reading reviews - it's worth reading 900000%. It's a wonderful amazing novel that should definately be read. The lot is entracing and the book is well written. Everyone already loves the characters - there are no flaws in this book - so just ukw go ahead and read it. If you do happen to not like it, in which case youre an alien, but if you come at me in the comments :) ( )
  dianeasther | Jun 29, 2021 |
I’m pretty sure this is the book that truly started my HP obsession, although GoF is still my fave. The last quarter of this book has some of the best action and drama and adventure anywhere, although whenever I reread I think of different things that could have been done. I love that Oliver Wood finally got his Quidditch Cup, and I love that we started really flirting with darkness here as it’s going to get worse as we go on. Also as many a R/S shipper said in ye olde internet days, “embraced Black like a brother” my ass; damn I miss some of the best lost fanfics.
1 vote spinsterrevival | May 6, 2021 |
All current reviews of Harry Potter books should probably be addressed to some future audience for whom Harry is book rather than phenomenon; at the moment, reviews seem superfluous. For the record, then, O future reader, this latest installment in Harry’s saga is quite a good book.

So far, in terms of plot, the books do nothing very new, but they do it brilliantly

Igual que en las dos primeras partes de la serie –La piedra filosofal y La cámara secreta– Harry aguarda con impaciencia el inicio del tercer curso en el Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Tras haber cumplido los trece años, solo y lejos de sus amigos de Hogwarts, Harry se pelea con su bigotuda tía Marge, a la que convierte en globo, y debe huir en un autobús mágico. Mientras tanto, de la prisión de Azkaban se ha escapado un terrible villano, Sirius Black, un asesino en serie con poderes mágicos que fue cómplice de lord Voldemort y que parece dispuesto a eliminar a Harry del mapa. Y por si esto fuera poco, Harry deberá enfrentarse también a unos terribles monstruos, los dementores, seres abominables capaces de robarles la felicidad a los magos y de borrar todo recuerdo hermoso de aquellos que osan mirarlos. Lo que ninguno de estos malvados personajes sabe es que Harry, con la ayuda de sus fieles amigos Ron y Hermione, es capaz de todo y mucho más.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

To Jill Prewett and Aine Kiely,
the Godmothers of Swing
J.K. Rowling
For Tony and Jo
with thanks for being such wonderful friends
Jim Kay
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.

The Wizarding world is shocked to hear a mass Murderer has escaped from the prison they call Azkaban. Sirius Black is said to have murdered countless muggles (non magic folk) and parents are locking up their children. Harry Potter has started school and is going on his first trip to Hogs Mead when by shear luck he overhears the Miniter for Magic wisper his name. Harry Follows him using his invisibility cloak and discovers why Mr Weasley warned him about Black personally before school had started. Sirius Black had been a friend of his Parents, was the one who sold them out to Voldemort and worst of all he was and still is to this day Harry's God Father. Harry knows thats why Sirius has escaped, he knows he's coming for him and he can't wait because when he finds him, Harry will be ready.......Full of death and Suspense, this book is defiantly the darkest yet and shows that Magic isn't just cool tricks and bright lights.

AR Level 6.7, 18 pts
Dvanaest dugih godina tvrđava Askaban skrivala je među svojim zidinama tajanstvenog zatvorenika po imenu Sirijus Blek. Optužen da je ubio trinaestoro ljudi bacivši na njih kletvu i za njega se smatra da je neposredni naslednik gospodara tame, lorda Voldemora.
Sada je pobegao i živi tamo gde može da bude glavni: kada je Hari Poter porazio Znate-već-koga to je bio i pad Bleka. Čuvari tvrđave Askaban čuli su kako Blek mrmlja u snu: "On je u Hogvortsu, on je u Hogvortsu..." Hari Poter nije bezbedan čak ni u čarobnjačkoj školi gde je okružen svojim prijateljima zato što se sumnja da je među njima izdajnik...
Made a mistake by

establishing time travel.

Will fix in book five.

(CathWhitney)
First teacher I like

turns out to be a monster.

Cannot catch a break.

(CathWhitney)
Sybil Trelawny
was right. The grim in Harry's
cup WAS Sirius.
(TheLittlePhrase)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,531,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible