Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by…

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (original 1999; edition 2014)

by J. K. Rowling (Auteur)

Series: Harry Potter (3)

92,1678943 (4.4)9 / 894
During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.
Member:ellenmcdevitt
Title:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Authors:J. K. Rowling (Auteur)
Info:Bloomsbury Childrens Books (2014), Edition: 01, 480 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling (Author) (1999)

1990s (19)
Elevenses (132)
books (1)
Ghosts (268)

English (837)  Dutch (11)  Spanish (8)  French (8)  German (8)  Italian (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (889)
I listened on audible and really enjoyed it! Was perfect for driving to work daily and while doing chores. ( )
  Hollee.Archibald | Nov 25, 2021 |
I've read these books at least ten times, so I got to page 100-something in the illustrated edition, and then just skipped the rest and only stopped to look at the pictures. I'm still counting it as Read, though, because I can do what I want. ( )
  FiraHunter | Nov 14, 2021 |
J. K. Rowling, me aventurat e Harri Poterit është bërë autorja më e famshme në botë për librat për fëmijë, nderuar me çmimet më prestigjioze ndërkombëtare. "J. K. Rowling i meriton të gjitha lëvdatat që i janë bërë. Edhe njëherë: është pak të thuhet që kemi të bëjmë me një ngjarje letrare botërore." Scotland on Sunday "Librat e Harri Poterit janë nga gjërat e rralla që adhurohen si nga fëmijët, edhe nga prindërit." The Daily Telegraph
  BibliotekaFeniks | Oct 31, 2021 |
I never thought Harry Potter would make me feel slightly better about our justice and (possibly a little bit even our) political system, but man--Lucius Malfoy practically runs the wizarding world, Snape is an abusive a**hole and there's no professional oversight at all for the teachers at Hogwarts, this is the first book where Gryffindor wins the House Cup on their own merits instead of Dumbledore's last-minute pulling-an-Oprah, Sirius Black was going to go from the nightmare of Azkaban to being Harry's guardian in about ten minutes, Harry gets away with murder just because he's Harry Potter...and Snape is an abusive a**hole. God lord, how can anyone feel sympathetic to the man? Nothing he may be doing behind the scenes makes up for this.

All that said, this book and this series is still a great deal of fun. Still loving all the clever wordplay and world-play, and it does make a big difference to know the outcome as I'm going along. Yeah, it would have made a lot more sense early on to know why people were afraid of saying Voldemort's name--but that's almost a reflection of growing up in its own right, in moving from doing things because that's what other people do to understanding the meaning behind what it is you're doing.

I think the weirdest thing on this read through, for me, was how quickly Harry gets attached to Sirius. Maybe it's just because Sirius is a way out of the Dursleys' lives. I re-skimmed all three chapters with Black in it up to that point and just couldn't see what would make Harry move to trusting him so completely. But I have a great deal of affection for the character and look forward to seeing his relationship with Harry develop. I loved so much about the beginning of book 5... But first I have to make it through book 4, which was, honestly, never really my favorite. Starting with that ridiculous movie-poster-ish cover. Ieuch... ( )
  books-n-pickles | Oct 29, 2021 |
My fave book of the series so far. Things take a dark turn when you start talking about a murderous wizard with a traitorous secret who’s on the loose, especially when he’s dangerous enough to warrant warning the muggles about him.

I like the complexity of the plot, lots of twists toward the end, and the fact that the big reveal was a slow one was a nice pace change; it really heightened the drama and suspense.

Maybe one reason I’m just not in love with these books is that the Main Three are just not super. There are plenty of charming and enjoyable second tier characters, but Harry is distrustful and not super trustworthy himself (yes, he has reason to be wary of authority figures and adults in general, but when he just decides to lie on his final exam because that’s what Ron did? That’s a character issue), Hermione is the voice of reason, but she can come off as whiny and a know-it-all (everyone says so) and Ron is just kind of mediocre. He’s loyal tho, so that’s not bad.

It bothers me that these three consistently get themselves in over their heads, mostly by ignoring the advice of a competent adult with far more life experience and magical ability, and then experience little to no consequence as a result. Yes, Snape picks on Harry viciously, but when even the Minister or Magic shows excessive favoritism and makes excuses for him breaking serious rules, I kind of don’t blame him. If anything, my estimation of Snape is bolstered a bit. His motives weren’t pure, but he did the right thing and protected and cared for his least favorite students, even when it must have rankled him terribly to do so, and nothing turned out in his favor as a result.

Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
All current reviews of Harry Potter books should probably be addressed to some future audience for whom Harry is book rather than phenomenon; at the moment, reviews seem superfluous. For the record, then, O future reader, this latest installment in Harry’s saga is quite a good book.

So far, in terms of plot, the books do nothing very new, but they do it brilliantly

Igual que en las dos primeras partes de la serie –La piedra filosofal y La cámara secreta– Harry aguarda con impaciencia el inicio del tercer curso en el Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Tras haber cumplido los trece años, solo y lejos de sus amigos de Hogwarts, Harry se pelea con su bigotuda tía Marge, a la que convierte en globo, y debe huir en un autobús mágico. Mientras tanto, de la prisión de Azkaban se ha escapado un terrible villano, Sirius Black, un asesino en serie con poderes mágicos que fue cómplice de lord Voldemort y que parece dispuesto a eliminar a Harry del mapa. Y por si esto fuera poco, Harry deberá enfrentarse también a unos terribles monstruos, los dementores, seres abominables capaces de robarles la felicidad a los magos y de borrar todo recuerdo hermoso de aquellos que osan mirarlos. Lo que ninguno de estos malvados personajes sabe es que Harry, con la ayuda de sus fieles amigos Ron y Hermione, es capaz de todo y mucho más.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

To Jill Prewett and Aine Kiely,
the Godmothers of Swing
J.K. Rowling
For Tony and Jo
with thanks for being such wonderful friends
Jim Kay
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.

For twelve long years, the dread fortress of Azkaban held an infamous prisoner named Sirius Black. Convicted of killing thirteen people with a single curse, he was said to be the heir apparent to the Dark Lord, Voldemort.

Now he has escaped, leaving only two clues as to where he might be headed: Harry Potter's defeat of You-Know-Who was Black's downfall as well. And the Azkaban guards heard Black muttering in his sleep, "He's at Hogwarts . . . he's at Hogwarts."

Harry Potter isn't safe, not even within the walls of his magical school, surrounded by his friends. Because on top of it all, there may well be a traitor in their midst.
Made a mistake by

establishing time travel.

Will fix in book five.

(CathWhitney)
First teacher I like

turns out to be a monster.

Cannot catch a break.

(CathWhitney)
Sybil Trelawny
was right. The grim in Harry's
cup WAS Sirius.
(TheLittlePhrase)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,419,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible