Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by…

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (original 1999; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling (Author), Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)

Series: Harry Potter (3)

94,6169073 (4.4)9 / 903
During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.
Member:bookjunkie15
Title:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Authors:J.K. Rowling (Author)
Other authors:Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)
Info:First American edition October 1999
Rating:*****

Work Information

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling (1999)

1990s (11)
Elevenses (135)
books (1)
Ghosts (268)

English (849)  Dutch (11)  Spanish (8)  French (8)  German (8)  Italian (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (901)
  archivomorero | Jun 27, 2022 |
While this review indicates a 2022 read date, I had read this book several times before that.
EDIT 2022: I added two thousand more words to the furious blog post I originally wrote in 2019, and the post might need a part II. She's a raging anti-Semite. I watched the Jon Stewart clip and I, a Conservative Jewish person, laughed and agreed with him. I'm so sorry he had to apologize in order to save his career while she wrings out every dollar she can of a series she wrote twenty years ago. This book itself...doesn't hold the same sense of wonder it once did. I feel comfortable not reading it again, and am going through the series to learn if I feel this way about the other books.

EDIT 2021: I wrote a furious blog post about how problematic this series is in 2019, before JKR decided to screech about her terrible opinions about trans women. Trans women are women. This series is problematic for a lot of reasons. I will probably still read it annually because of what it represented for me once upon a time.

As a child, I was upset that Hermione didn't like Professor Trelawney. As an adult, yeah, I get it. I use Tarot cards from time to time and am mildly curious about other tools, and do believe there's something to it all, but that's it. Professor McGonagall's and Trelawney's interactions made me laugh, and at one point, I cackled with glee as I realized out loud, "Trelawney reminds me of (a famous author I don't care for)," and I subsided into giggles. Trelawney's a diva who can't admit she's wrong and thinks she's above everyone else. Snape is turning out to be a fascinating and memorable character. I vaguely remember some of what he does in the fourth book, so I continue to look forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  iszevthere | Jun 21, 2022 |
Перше читання - у 2002 (ISBN13: 9785353004325)

Перечитування у 2015:

Цікавіше. Заплутаніше. Краще.
Ця та Келих Вогню - мої найулюбленіші книжки із серії. ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
Really enjoying listening to this series for the first time. Jim Dale is amazing! ( )
  NicholeReadsWithCats | Jun 17, 2022 |
@ the second re-read:

★★★★ ½
  XSassyPants | Jun 11, 2022 |
All current reviews of Harry Potter books should probably be addressed to some future audience for whom Harry is book rather than phenomenon; at the moment, reviews seem superfluous. For the record, then, O future reader, this latest installment in Harry’s saga is quite a good book.

So far, in terms of plot, the books do nothing very new, but they do it brilliantly

Igual que en las dos primeras partes de la serie –La piedra filosofal y La cámara secreta– Harry aguarda con impaciencia el inicio del tercer curso en el Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Tras haber cumplido los trece años, solo y lejos de sus amigos de Hogwarts, Harry se pelea con su bigotuda tía Marge, a la que convierte en globo, y debe huir en un autobús mágico. Mientras tanto, de la prisión de Azkaban se ha escapado un terrible villano, Sirius Black, un asesino en serie con poderes mágicos que fue cómplice de lord Voldemort y que parece dispuesto a eliminar a Harry del mapa. Y por si esto fuera poco, Harry deberá enfrentarse también a unos terribles monstruos, los dementores, seres abominables capaces de robarles la felicidad a los magos y de borrar todo recuerdo hermoso de aquellos que osan mirarlos. Lo que ninguno de estos malvados personajes sabe es que Harry, con la ayuda de sus fieles amigos Ron y Hermione, es capaz de todo y mucho más.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

To Jill Prewett and Aine Kiely,
the Godmothers of Swing
J.K. Rowling
For Tony and Jo
with thanks for being such wonderful friends
Jim Kay
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.

For twelve long years, the dread fortress of Azkaban held an infamous prisoner named Sirius Black. Convicted of killing thirteen people with a single curse, he was said to be the heir apparent to the Dark Lord, Voldemort.

Now he has escaped, leaving only two clues as to where he might be headed: Harry Potter's defeat of You-Know-Who was Black's downfall as well. And the Azkaban guards heard Black muttering in his sleep, "He's at Hogwarts . . . he's at Hogwarts."

Harry Potter isn't safe, not even within the walls of his magical school, surrounded by his friends. Because on top of it all, there may well be a traitor in their midst.
Made a mistake by

establishing time travel.

Will fix in book five.

(CathWhitney)
First teacher I like

turns out to be a monster.

Cannot catch a break.

(CathWhitney)
Sybil Trelawny
was right. The grim in Harry's
cup WAS Sirius.
(TheLittlePhrase)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,705,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible