All That’s Left in the World

by Erik J. Brown

Jamie and Andrew are strangers, and two of the last people left alive. They don't know what they'll find on their perilous journey ... but they may just find each other. A queer romance about courage, hope and humanity - this is How I Live Now with the heart of Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda. When the Superflu wipes out most of the population, Jamie finds himself completely alone in a cabin in the woods - until an injured stranger crosses his path. Life is dangerous now and, armed with a gun, Jamie goes to pull the trigger. But there's something about Andrew ... something that stops Jamie in his tracks. Jamie takes him in, and as Andrew heals and they eventually step out into the strange new world, their relationship starts to feel like more than just friendship ... But trouble isn't far behind. As the boys make a perilous journey south, they'll come face to face with a world torn apart and society in ruins. And who, or what, will they find waiting for them at the end of it all? "Tense, exciting, sometimes heartbreaking and always romantic, All That's Left in the World explores what it means to hold onto hope and humanity when the worst case scenario becomes reality. With characters you'll adore, and a fast-paced, mysterious plot that keeps you turning the pages as fast as you can devour them, this book is not to be missed." - Sophie Gonzales, author of ONLY MOSTLY DEVASTATED "Brown has somehow achieved a book that is romantic, hilarious, warm-hearted, hopeful, and page-turningly thrilling all at once. I was hooked from beginning to end." - Dahlia Adler, author of COOL FOR THE SUMMER "A timeless love story that could not be more appropriate for this moment, All That's Left in the World is a thrilling, heartfelt, and beautifully written debut." - Tom Ryan, author of I HOPE YOU'RE LISTENING "Survival is core to the queer experience, and in All That's Left In the World, Brown takes that to apocalyptic extremes with the story of Andrew and Jamie. This is quintessentially brave, dangerous-in-the-best-way queer storytelling!" - Adam Sass, author of SURRENDER YOUR SONS "All That's Left in the World is unfailingly riveting and hopeful. A timely exploration of survival, trauma, and love stitched together with sharp wit and bone-deep emotion. Erik J. Brown is an invigorating voice to watch out for." - Julian Winters, award-winning author of RUNNING WITH LIONS… (more)

teen fiction - post-apocalyptic adventure with queer romance and snark.

hard to believe this is a debut novel but not surprising that the author has already won some acclaim; Erik Brown's pacing is screenplay-perfect. I never wanted to stop reading this book and finished it in a day. More, please! ( )
  reader1009 | Apr 25, 2022 |
I was good to see the two different views expressed by these two young men that have suddenly found themselves in a difficult and unforgiving world. I thought some of the things that they had that prepared them for their journey was a bit improbable. An example was the book that Jamie's doctor mother wrote and left for him before she died. On their journey south the story became a bit rushed. I wondered if the last two years that the world has lived through was maybe a little too soon to present a "pandemic" themed book although the author says it was not intended to represent COVID. So ...if you're looking for a good character driven post-apocalyptic novel, this one will probably fit the bill. Be aware that it is a YA book. ( )
  Carol420 | Apr 4, 2022 |
Heads-up that I am spoiling, in a general way, this book throughout my whole review.

CA: global pandemic, homophobic language, violent homophobia

This post-apocalyptic YA novel features two queer teens as its heroes, it has a happy-for-now ending, and love pretty much wins. I don't think I can overstate how important those last two bits are. The boys are in love, and THEY MAKE IT. They do have to go through a lot to get there, and I overestimated my readiness to read a book about a post-pandemic world. (The pandemic here is not Covid. It's a flu. Close enough for nightmares.) I read most of this through my fingers and only carried on because I was so very hoping it was going to be okay in the end. And it is, pretty much. So this was both very not for me and kind of really for me. If you like post-apocalyptic fiction and are ready for a fictional world that's been devastated by a global pandemic, recommended. I'm both glad I read it and deeply relieved that it's over. ( )
  lycomayflower | Mar 30, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,002,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible