The long farewell / by Michael Innes by…

The long farewell / by Michael Innes (original 1958; edition 1958)

by Michael Innes

Lewis Packford, the great Shakespearean scholar, was thought to have discovered a book annotated by the Bard - but there is no trace of this valuable object when Packford apparently commits suicide. Sir John Appleby finds a mixed bag of suspects at the dead man's house, who might all have a good motive for murder. The scholars and bibliophiles who were present might have been tempted by the precious document in Packford's possession. And Appleby discovers that Packford had two secret marriages, and that both of these women were at the house at the time of his death.… (more)
Member:ivankirby
Title:The long farewell / by Michael Innes
Authors:Michael Innes
Info:New York, Dodd, Mead (1958), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover

The Long Farewell by Michael Innes (1958)

Chief Inspector John Appleby is visiting Italy and takes the time to drop in on an old friend. Lewis Packford, a Shakespearean scholar, is pleased to see his friend, but Appleby gets the idea that he has a secret he's working on.

Just a few weeks later, Appleby is at Packford's funeral. His friend has committed suicide. But his lawyer thinks it was murder and wants Appleby to investigate.

Appleby finds that Packford had no shortage of motives for murder. He was a bigamist; he was deep in debt. However, he also had a houseful of guests, and they all have secrets of their own. The more Appleby digs, the more he believes that this was no suicide.

I really enjoyed this one. I thought I remembered how this book ended, but I was wrong. I am so glad I found this one! ( )
  cmbohn | May 16, 2009 |
"Tis here, but yet confused: Knavery's plain face is never seen till used." (Othello)
'Come in!'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,490,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible