The Sinister Booksellers of Bath by Garth…

The Sinister Booksellers of Bath (edition 2023)

by Garth Nix (Author)

3701970,778 (3.91)39
Fantasy. Young Adult Fiction. Young Adult Literature. HTML:

Return to the enchanting world of The Left-Handed Booksellers of London in this sequel by Garth Nix, bestselling master of teen fantasy, where once again a team of booksellers must fight to keep dangerous magic under cover before the stuff of legends destroys our world. New York Times bestseller!

There is often trouble of a mythical sort in Bath. The booksellers who police the Old World keep a careful watch there, particularly on the entity that inhabits the ancient hot spring.

This time trouble comes from the discovery of a sorcerous map, leading left-handed bookseller Merlin into great danger, requiring a desperate rescue attempt from his sister, the right-handed bookseller Vivien, and art student Susan Arkshaw, who is still struggling to deal with her own recently discovered magical heritage.

The map takes the trio to a place separated from this world, maintained by deadly sorcery and guarded by monstrous living statues. But this is only the beginning. To unravel the secrets of a murderous Ancient Sovereign, the booksellers must investigate centuries of disappearances and deaths. If they do not stop her, she will soon kill again. And this time, her target is not an ordinary mortal.

… (more)
Member:shushokan
Title:The Sinister Booksellers of Bath
Authors:Garth Nix (Author)
Info:Gollancz (2023), 352 pages
Tags:Fantasy

Work Information

The Sinister Booksellers of Bath by Garth Nix

Recently added byRLMCartwright, Nerena, drakeg, Bookbrained, MRN, private library, calvson

My wife is a big fan of Nix's Sabriel books, but I had not read anything by him before. This is a sequel to another of his books (The Left-Handed Booksellers of London), but I found that it largely stood on its own, except that it never clearly delineated the difference between left- and right-handed booksellers. Anyway, it's about a secret order of "booksellers" that combat dangerous magical entities; here they have to prevent one particular one from rising up and obtaining great power through sacrificing innocent victims on the solstice. I found it cute and charming without being precious or twee—quite an accomplishment these days. A lot of fun ideas, and I would loop back and read the first book, but it didn't set my world on fire.
  Stevil2001 | Jul 20, 2024 |
I felt the ending was a bit rushed, but all in all most excellent world building. Looking forward to the third volume. ( )
  dono421846 | Jun 9, 2024 |
Susan Arkshaw is trying very, very hard to be normal, while her father wants her to embrace his part of her heritage and meanwhile a map draws Merlin into danger and the only person who could probably help him is Susan and his sister Vivien. Only helping Merlin brings them into a complex serial killer situation and it's only getting more complicated by the day.

It's an interesting read with characters who came across as very real and had issues I could understand, having been a teenager at that time. I enjoyed the read, not as much as the first book in the series but still it was a good read. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 4, 2024 |
This is a stronger book than The Left-handed booksellers of London, and develops on the first story in a way that dragged me in and kept me riveted. It didn't matter that I'd mostly forgotten the finer details, and that the character names had slipped away, because they were all deftly reintroduced, without a hint of 'As You Know, Bob'.

The characters were stronger -- more present on the page -- than I remember from the first one. The mystery plot was beautifully realised, with fascinating nuance. And the world-building, the details that set it firmly in time and place, was very well done. I got earwormed more than once from the playful joking about music, and references to pop songs. ( )
  fred_mouse | Feb 11, 2024 |
Susan and Merlin are trying to figure out their relationship, largely because Susan wants to remain as “normal” as it is possible for the offspring of an Ancient Entity to be and Merlin’s status as a left-handed bookseller charged with maintaining boundaries between the human and magical worlds means that she will be dragged into more magical realms than she would like. However, it isn’t long before an Ancient Entity previously unknown to the booksellers creates havoc: the rock-based entity must sustain an out-of-time home for her half-human daughter if that person is to survive and the way to do that is to sacrifice a human every six years. Or, better yet, to sacrifice a demi-deity - and who better for that than Susan?.... This is the sequel to “The Left-Handed Booksellers of London,” a book that I enjoyed very much; this sequel is a little less thrilling, but that’s probably because now I’m more familiar with the characters so their activities aren’t so surprising as in the first book. I was reminded of Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London series, which I liked a lot until it became too repetitive (around book 6 or 8, if I recall); Mr. Nix’s work is classified as YA but is perfectly suited to this 60-something year old as well, and his world-building is solid and feasible (as long as one accepts the premise in the first place). A very good fantasy duo, perhaps to become a series? In any event, recommended - but read “The Left-Handed Booksellers of London” first so that you can better follow the events in this book! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Jan 19, 2024 |

Nix, Garthprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Calin, MarisaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anna, Thomas, Edward, and all my family and friends.

And to Katherine Tegen, who deserves a particular dedication upon her retirement from HarperCollins. This book, and many others of mine, might not have been written without Katherine's support and encouragement over many years.

Also to five authors who I first read when I was young, who helped make me a writer, for this book in particular: Joan Aiken, Alan Garner, Susan Cooper, Diana Wynne Jones and John Masefield.

The epigraphs at the beginning of each chapter are from Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, the Cassell and Company edition of 1907.
The young man running panicked in the dark instinctively headed towards the Abbey.

Fantasy. Young Adult Fiction. Young Adult Literature. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,813,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible