The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue - Signed /…

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue - Signed / Autographed Copy (edition 2020)

by V. E. Schwab (Author)

"France, 1714: in a moment of desperation, a young woman makes a Faustian bargain to live forever--and is cursed to be forgotten by everyone she meets. Thus begins the extraordinary life of Addie LaRue, and a dazzling adventure that will play out across centuries and continents, across history and art, as a young woman learns how far she will go to leave her mark on the world. But everything changes when, after nearly 300 years, Addie stumbles across a young man in a hidden bookstore and he remembers her name"--… (more)
Member:kerryfine
Title:The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue - Signed / Autographed Copy
Authors:V. E. Schwab (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2020), Edition: 1st

Work Information

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab

The Sudden Appearance of Hope by Claire North (Euryale)
    Euryale: Another heroine in a similar predicament.

English (158)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (160)

ayoshina | Jul 31, 2022 |
7 stars ( )
  curiouskt | Jul 25, 2022 |
Addie makes a deal to live forever. But in turn she is forgotten by everyone. This story explores Addie’s journey, starting in France in the year 1714 where she makes that fateful deal. One of the major themes throughout the novel is how you can make a mark on an individual or society, and whether that is what gives your life meaning. A slow paced, character driven fantasy that will make you think about what is important. ( )
  kayfeif | Jul 7, 2022 |
I absolutely loved this book! This is one of those books, that upon reading negative reviews, I wonder if I read a different book. It was very, very up my alley. Such an amazing and original concept, fleshed out so well, that gives you detail after detail of Addie's situation in such a way that makes your heart just heart a little bit more each time. The flits between the past and present were done well, and I felt that each part was just the right length to keep both sides of that coin interesting.
At first, I did wish that the name of the main character wasn't 'Adeline', as it straight away reminded me of 'The Age of Adeline', which also has a similar concept, but that faded away pretty quickly, and I view them as completely different characters in their own rights with/out those similarities.
LOVED that it was written in present tense; something subtle that added to the theme of the story. I ached so much for Addie, and a completely fantastical situation was explained so well, and felt so real. Felt the prick of tears, which doesn't always happen for me.
Loved the segments of art throughout showing her true impact despite everything. (SPOILER) I definitely wasn't expecting the turn Luc's and Addie's relationship took towards the end, but was very happy with the way that ended and tied up. I was also happy that Addie was not head over heels for Henry in the way he was for her, though still loving him. It was a dynamic I haven't seen much of before.
Very beautifully written, reads like the thoughts of Henry and Addie, but not in a messy way, in a real way. ( )
  grandma.meg | Jul 4, 2022 |
My central problem with this book is that it never felt believable to me in the way that all good fiction should (whether including magic or not). The characters were never fleshed out and real- they were more like rambling, pretty ideas. (Especially Henry). Luc also felt random and inconsistent (in a poorly written way). My impression is that the author wanted Luc to almost become an Edward Cullen-type gorgeous dark figure (kind of, not exactly) but this didn't work for me. Why would he be infatuated with Addie if he literally has thousands or millions of other souls who have also made deals? Surely she is not the only one in history who would have made a deal similar to the one that she made? Also, how could he love or desire her at all if he is literally just darkness with teeth? I'm getting a little too nit-picky in my description, but it's more than that. There was just something unbelievable and unsatisfying about the story and the characters. It almost read like fan fiction written by a teenager. It lacked--something. At least for me. ( )
  samanddiane1999 | Jun 22, 2022 |

V. E. Schwabprimary authorall editionscalculated
Staehle, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The old gods may be great, but they are neither kind nor merciful. They are fickle, unsteady as moonlight on water, or shadows in a storm. If you insist on calling them, take heed: be careful what you ask for, be willing to pay the price. And no matter how desperate or dire, never pray to the gods that answer after dark.

Estele Magritte, 1642-1719
To Patricia -- For never once forgetting.
A girl is running for her life.
Her gaze is clear. A lighthouse through the fog. She smiles, and Henry's world goes brighter. She turns away, and it is dark again.
What is a person, if not the marks they leave behind?

France, 1714: in a moment of desperation, a young woman makes a Faustian bargain to live forever—and is cursed to be forgotten by everyone she meets.

But everything changes when, after nearly 300 years, Addie stumbles across a young man in a hidden bookstore and he remembers her name.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,556,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible