Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind

Stone of Tears (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Terry Goodkind (Author)

A fantasy adventure in which a woman warrior, the Mother Confessor, leads a rag tag force of young people against the army of an evil tyrant, waging a campaign of extermination. By the author of the Wizard's First Rule.
Member:Dana0507
Title:Stone of Tears
Authors:Terry Goodkind (Author)
Info:TOR Fantasy (1996), 979 pages

Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind (1995)

English (60)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (65)
Awesome read. I'm not sure I really buy into the whole Stone of Tears itself, but the story was top notch. To top it off, it introduces Cara, the Mord Sith, whom I absolutely love! ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
Okay, I'm going to have to give you all a little bit of background information before I can give my review of this book, so bare with me!

This last spring my husband and I decided to get another cat, a kitten to be exact. We already have two and knowing that this will probably label us the "crazy cat people" of the neighborhood we decide to go ahead and do it anyway. Our oldest cat is, well, a bitch and hates the sweet fat cat with a vengeance. Tas (aka The Fat Man) seemed a bit sad and we wanted to get him a kitten to play with and nap with and generally buddy around with. I insist on a rescue kitten, no pet store kittens, Larry agrees. So we find the most ADORABLE little (part I'm sure) main coon and bring her home. She's an extremely loving kitty that likes to sleep right under my chin. That's were the first spot appeared. I hardly noticed it, other than the itching. I figured I'd been bitten by a bug...then I got one on my arm! I freak out and make an emergency vet appointment, which Larry thinks is a huge over reaction. Sure enough...the rescue kitten has ringworm ! Apparently cats, when they have ringworm, produce spores and shoot them all over your house, bed, carpet, couch, blankets, pillows, hardwoods...anywhere they can manage to get to. These spores, according to the vet, are highly contagious and can live up to a year in you carpet etc. A YEAR! June, July and most of August is spent with our house quarantined. For weeks I am lathering up cats with lotions and shampoo. Have you ever tried to shampoo your cat? Well, if you have, imagine that you have to let the anti-fungal shampoo sit on them for 10 minutes before you wash it off. Yeah right. If you didn't already know, ringworm is actually a fungus, like athletes foot...on YOUR FACE ! Or, arms, legs, whatever. At one point I was going to work with at least 20 of those little round band-aids stuck all over my arms and legs. It was ridiculous, I was getting new spots every single day! I was obsessed with washing, mopping, vacuuming...like when your kid brings home lice from elementary school. You know there was nothing you could have done to prevent it, you know you are a clean person, but everything feels...dirty. For weeks after the spots were gone and we'd shampooed the carpets I was still slathering Lotrimin on anything that remotely felt like it might be an itch, just.in.case!

I said all that to say this, I would gladly go through that all again, start to finish rather than ever have to read this book again! It only gets two stars, because I am the biggest sucker that ever lived for a happy ending. In that, Mr. Goodkind (Oh, the irony of that name!) did not disappoint. It was as happy and icky sweet as you could possibly ever want and more.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Goodkind has to be a closet sexual sadist. Nearly every woman in the book was either raped or nearly raped, someone attempted to rape her or promised to rape her but simply didn't live long enough. It started in the first book with the rape and torture, but this book took it to a whole other level. Torture is also a pretty constant theme, hence the sexual sadist rather than wanna be rapist. It got to the point that it was actually wearing on me, starting to annoy me and then even piss me off. His picture at the back of the book didn't help, it was the most smarmy, self important, arrogant picture I've ever seen of an author (that I can recall). Unfortunately I accidentally saw it rather early on in the book (all 900 or so bloody pages!) and I have to admit that it did taint my reading experience in a VERY bad way.

Photo of which I speak: http://aidanmoher.com/blog/wp-content...

Of course, he was horribly repetitive and overly descriptive, even more so than in the first book. I think that part of the reason I liked book one so much better was that I hadn't yet seen the above photo and I had watched the entire first season of The Legend of the Seeker, a poor Sci-Fi Channel adaptation of the book and the book was so much better that it seemed not too bad. Unfortunately for the second book I wasn't able to stomach the second season of the show and therefore had nothing worse to compare it to.

You know how annoying it is when someone learns a new vocabulary word and insists on using it at every given opportunity until you begin to hate that person and by association that word? As if the word has some how done something to you, personally, offended you so grievously that you now loath that word and cringe when you hear it? Well, Mr. Goodkind, at some point around 200 pages in had this epiphany that if the word "invincible" meant immune to harm then "vincible" was just as good of a word for "vulnerable"! He used it so often that it once appeared twice in the same paragraph and three times on one page! I now completely hate the word "vincible" and eventually had trouble restraining myself from scratching it off the page!

What also occurred to me while reading this was that it read more like a romance novel with some wizards 'n junk than it did a fantasy novel with some romance thrown in. The whole deal with the collar and "she doesn't love me anymore" boo hoo crap. Gah! I had to skip huge swaths at the end where he rambled on for a page of description for him getting from one end of the palace to the other. Who does he think he is Herman Melville?

Let me put it into context for you, Davey. If David Eddings (a contemporary fantasy writer of Goodkind) is The Cure, then Terry Goodkind is Julian Lennon. They're both English and were recording at the same time. One is fabulous and the other makes you want to claw at your own ears, or eyes in the case of Mr. Goodkind.

I read a review of his first book by this girl who's boyfriend wanted her to read it. Out of love for him she tried, but said that she would rather "smell her dogs breath and then lick his teeth than read that book". I anorted. I now know exactly how she feels. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Good book, yet some characters get confusing as to who they are. Some parts seem to drag on a little yet others make the book hard to put down. ( )
  Preston.Kringle | Nov 23, 2018 |
Enjoyed this one more than the first. Ending of the first book was too cliched for me. Made me roll my eyes. Definitely glad I took a friend's advice & gave it another chance. I love how the 2nd book picked up EXACTLY where the first book left off. Amazing to think that the book covers the time span of only a couple weeks or months, if you think about it. Enjoyed some of the new characters in the book, Sister Verna, Warren, Chadalen, & Gratch, in particular. Taking a break from this genre for a period. I'm kinda becoming a junkie!
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
Enjoyable book and a compelling series. Dialogue can occasionally be a little wooden. Goodkind is a bit of a sadist to his characters but the story is very compelling. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
Enjoyed the book, but cringed constantly at the similarity between this book at the Wheel of Time series by robert jordan.
Sisters, Novices, Sisters of the dark, Men being collared, the keeper, the seals.
there was more but can;t think of them at the moment.
BEsides this it was still an easy read and i rarely put it down :)
added by Mossy76 | edithome, neil brennan (May 17, 2019)

Terry Goodkindprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gianni, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parkinson, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, Natalie and Leo
Rachel clutched her doll tighter to her chest and stared at the dark thing watching her from the bushes.
Life be one act of desperation after another.

Prosegue la ristampa in edizione economica di uno dei cicli fondamentali della fantasy contemporanea La Spada della Verità è una delle opere fantasy più amate e seguite nel mondo. Immenso per ambientazione e sviluppo narrativo, il ciclo ha ottenuto il favore della critica e degli appassionati, suscitando confronti con le opere classiche di Robert Jordan e J.R.R. Tolkien, e riuscendo a rinnovare un genere di consolidata tradizione. Il secondo volume de La Spada della Verità raccoglie i romanzi Il Guardiano delle Tenebre e La Pietra delle Lacrime, proponendosi come un vero e proprio classico della moderna letteratura fantastica. Le forze delle tenebre sono ormai all'opera. L'apertura della scatola dell'Orden ha creato una lacerazione nel velo magico che separa il regno dei morti da quello dei vivi, e portato alla luce la Pietra delle Lacrime, un gioiello di incredibile potere. Zedd decide di nascondere la pietra perché se dovesse cadere nelle mani sbagliate, potrebbe essere usata per distruggere del tutto il velo liberando l'efferato Guardiano. Richard è l'unico in grado di ricucire lo strappo del velo, ma dopo aver scatenato in maniera incontrollata i propri poteri magici latenti ha bisogno dell'aiuto delle Sorelle della Luce, una misteriosa confraternita di incantatrici da tutti ritenute una leggenda, che da secoli si dedica all'addestramento dei maghi. “Credo davvero che quest’opera sarà un evento, come Il signore degli anelli negli anni Sessanta.” Marion Zimmer Bradley “Un’opera fantasy fenomenale, di grande inventiva, che rivela senza ombra di dubbio uno dei maestri di questo genere letterario.” Piers Anthony “Un romanzo pieno di azione e di personaggi affascinanti, inventivo in modo sempre intelligente e originale.” Booklist

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,820,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible