And There He Kept Her: A Novel by Joshua…

And There He Kept Her: A Novel (edition 2022)

by Joshua Moehling (Author)

"A dark and complex mystery that will consume you, starring a protagonist who is equal parts quirky Milhone and steady Gamache."--Julie Clark, New York Timesbestselling author of The Last Flight They thought he was a helpless old man. They were wrong. When two teenagers break into a house on a remote lake in search of prescription drugs, what starts as a simple burglary turns into a nightmare for all involved. Emmett Burr has secrets he's been keeping in his basement for more than two decades, and he'll do anything to keep his past from being revealed. As he gets the upper hand on his tormentors, the lines blur between victim, abuser, and protector. Personal tragedy has sent former police officer Ben Packard back to the small Minnesota town of Sandy Lake in search of a fresh start. Now a sheriff's deputy, Packard is leading the investigation into the missing teens, motivated by a family connection. As clues dry up and time runs out to save them, Packard is forced to reveal his own secrets and dig deep to uncover the dark past of the place he now calls home. Unrelentingly suspenseful and written with a piercing gaze into the dark depths of the human soul, And There He Kept Heris a thrilling page-turner that introduces readers to a complicated new hero and forces us to consider the true nature of evil.… (more)
Member:CathyGeha
Title:And There He Kept Her: A Novel
Authors:Joshua Moehling (Author)
Info:Poisoned Pen Press (2022), 320 pages
Rating:****1/2

Work Information

And There He Kept Her: A Novel by Joshua Moehling

ARC (1) crime fiction (1) detective (1) donated (1) ebook (1) fiction (1) mystery (2) netgalley (1) novel (1) paper (1) thriller (1) to-read (1) w2r (1)

And There He Kept Her by Joshua Moehling

Small town murder mystery that presents a new main character and town that both have plenty of potential to provide much fodder for future stories. This debut author is one I would gladly read again.

What I liked:
* Knowing what happened to Jenny and Jesse from the first chapter
* The writing, plot, pacing, and overall story
* The small town setting
* Deputy Ben Packard, acting sheriff and investigator: from a bigger city, chose to move to and work in Sandy Lake County after losing someone important, has secrets, a bit of a loner, works hard, interesting, would like to know more about him
* Jenny: Kidnapped sixteen-year-old, Ben’s niece, person being looked for throughout the story
* Susan: Jenny’s mother, Ben’s cousin, chef-cook, restaurant owner, a bit different – on the spectrum perhaps, might be a recurring character
* The diversity of the staff that Ben works with – some will no doubt show up in future books if this becomes a series – really liked Kelly(dispatcher) and Jill Thielen but others will play their parts as the team becomes more known over time
* Gary: dog rescue owner with an intriguing past – would love to know more about him
* Some of the quirky characters
* Learning about Nick’s brother who went missing decades before – will Nick find out what happened to him if the series progresses?
* That it was so easy to dislike the bad guys though they were rather stereotypical in some ways.
* The police procedural aspects of the story
* That Jenny’s storyline was tied up in a neat bow at the end with no dangling strings
* Knowing that there is plenty of ground laid for another book if the author and publisher decide to provide one.

What I didn’t like:
* The people I was meant not to like and the crimes they committed
* Some of the parents parenting
* Having to wait for book two…if this IS a series

Did I enjoy this book? Yes
Would I read more by this author? Yes

Thank you to NetGalley and Sourcebooks-Poisoned Pen Press for the ARC – This is my honest review.

4-5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Jun 23, 2022 |
And There He Kept Her is Joshua Moehling's debut novel.
Moehling kicks off his tale with a 'grab you by the throat' opening prologue. Two small town Minnesota teens break into the house of a old man. We're not quite sure what they're after, but things definitely don't go as planned....

We then meet new on the job, Acting Sherriff, Ben Packard. He's got ties to the town and his own secrets that he keeps close to his chest. I quite liked Ben as a lead character. He's smart and more than capable. Moehling has given him an interesting personal life as well. The supporting cast gives us a very competent woman deputy and another deputy not so on the ball. The residents of Sandy Cove are eclectic. And truthfully, it's not a town I would want to live in.

Moehling has penned a dark, gritty tale. From the publisher: "They thought he was a helpless old man. They were wrong." There's lots of ways for the book to unfold from that initial premise. As readers, we know what's happened in the basement, even as Ben tries to piece things together. Having the advantage of the two narratives definitely ramps up the tension. (Gentle readers - this one may not be the book for you.)

There's a satisfying ending to And There He Kept Her. But, there's also a door left open for an unanswered question from the past. So, it sounds like there will be another book with Ben Packard - one I would happily pick up. ( )
  Twink | Jun 15, 2022 |
I found the characters for And There He Kept Her by Joshua Moehling very interesting, a gay policeman, a missing girl with diabetes…and what happens when two kids break into a man’s house to steal his prescription drugs….

Seems there are a lot of secrets for a small town. But, we all know, sooner or later, they will be exposed. In the meantime, some will do anything to protect themselves.

The clock is ticking and time is running out.

I love watching the characters as they walk through the pages, some worse than others. They remind me of how fragile live is. Is everyone either good or bad? I love villains that make me wonder…and we have many to choose from. The whys are intriguing. Nature or nurture seems to come up when dealing with drug addiction, murder, serial killers…

I didn’t take many notes as I read, but I will commend Joshua Moehling for a job well done for his first novel. I look forward to watching him grow and develop his writing. I foresee good things for him.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of And There He Kept Her by Joshua Moehling.

See more at http://www.fundinmental.com ( )
  sherry69 | Jun 14, 2022 |
law-enforcement, forced-imprisonment, suspense, grieving, triggers, Minnesota, thriller, secrets, procedural, small-town, murder, violence, victimization, family-dynamics*****

Finding the missing teenagers (the girl has insulin dependent diabetes and is without her materials) is the driving force for Deputy/Acting Sheriff Ben Packard who left Minneapolis PD after a devastating personal loss and moved North to the small town where he had family connections.
Emmett is disgusting and has a history of female abuse in a hidden room in his house.
And it only gets worse from there. The writing is good, but the graphic aspects were too triggering for me. I read it, but it wasn't easy because I know that this is more than fiction. The story is grim but compelled me onward to the end.
I requested and received a free e-book copy from Poisoned Pen Press via NetGalley. Thank you. ( )
  jetangen4571 | May 10, 2022 |
Ben Packard moves to a small town where he used to summer as a child to become the acting Sheriff and get away from the city where he was a cop. In this town two kids break into a house to commit a robbery and soon go missing. Ben’s niece is one of those kids and he promises his cousin that he will find her. She is kidnapped and held in the basement of Emmet Burrs. This is a dark story, a thriller but not a mystery. Great character development, especially with Ben. You get to know and feel the characters. The writing is very descriptive and makes the story flow. Since the reader knows at the onset what happened, it is more me wondering who was going to live and who was going to die. Really intense! ( )
  grumpydan | May 7, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,586,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible