The It Girl by Ruth Ware

The It Girl (original 2022; edition 2022)

by Ruth Ware (Author)

The #1 New York Times bestselling author of the "claustrophobic spine-tingler" (People) One by One returns with an unputdownable mystery following a woman on the search for answers a decade after her friend's murder. April Clarke-Cliveden was the first person Hannah Jones met at Oxford. Vivacious, bright, occasionally vicious, and the ultimate It girl, she quickly pulled Hannah into her dazzling orbit. Together, they developed a group of devoted and inseparable friends--Will, Hugh, Ryan, and Emily--during their first term. By the end of the second, April was dead. Now, a decade later, Hannah and Will are expecting their first child, and the man convicted of killing April, former Oxford porter John Neville, has died in prison. Relieved to have finally put the past behind her, Hannah's world is rocked when a young journalist comes knocking and presents new evidence that Neville may have been innocent. As Hannah reconnects with old friends and delves deeper into the mystery of April's death, she realizes that the friends she thought she knew all have something to hide...including a murder. "The Agatha Christie of our generation" (David Baldacci, #1 New York Times bestselling author) proves once again that she is "as ingenious and indefatigable as the Queen of Crime" (The Washington Post) with this propulsive murder mystery that will keep you on the edge of your seat.… (more)
Member:MelisaVick
Title:The It Girl
Authors:Ruth Ware (Author)
Info:Gallery/Scout Press (2022), 431 pages

Work Information

The It Girl by Ruth Ware (2022)

Another terrific thriller from my new favorite mystery Author ( )
  silversurfer | Sep 27, 2022 |
I absolutely adored the rich setting of The It Girl by Ruth Ware in the fictional campus college of Pelham College at Oxford University.

Having visited Oxford in 2012 and 2018, I easily fell into the academic student vibe and wished I was among the characters fortunate enough to study there. Put it this way, I was definitely conjuring Dead Poets Society vibes as I was reading.

Our protagonist Hannah Jones is an impressive character and we pick up her story on her first day at Oxford. Later on, we find out more about her humble upbringing:

"I was the only person in my year at school to apply for Oxford. I'm the first person in my family to come here too. In fact, my dad doesn't even have a degree - he's a builder who left education when he was sixteen. I didn't volunteer to feed underprivileged kids in my gap year or spend my summer digging wells - I spent my summer working in a supermarket. As you may have guessed, I don't always feel like I fit in here. But I'm determined to prove I belong." Page 55-56

When Hannah moves into her accommodation on campus in Pelham College, she's surprised to be sharing a common room with April Clarke-Cliveden. April is charismatic, rich, confident, intelligent, beautiful and manipulative. April is the classic 'it girl' with a gaggle of loyal friends, Hannah, Will, Hugh, Ryan and Emily but by the end of the second term, April has been murdered.

The story unfolds in two timeframes, Before and After and both were compelling. At 420 pages in length though, I thought it was probably 50 pages too long. The After section takes place 10 years after the murder and we learn from the blurb that the man convicted of April's murder has died in prison. Hannah is married to Will and expecting their first child when this death occurs which sets off a chain of events.

Both time frames contained an element of mystery and suspense, although the ending was unexpected which is exactly what you want in a domestic thriller from Ruth Ware.

I do wonder though, if I've been spoiled forever after reading and loving my first Ruth Ware novel in The Turn of the Key back in 2019. That book went on to make my Top 5 Books of 2019 list and the ending was so amazing, it made me gasp out loud. Every time I've picked up a Ruth Ware novel since then (see my review for One by One by Ruth Ware) I'm hoping to have a similar mind blowing reading experience. The It Girl fell short of blowing my mind or making me gasp, and it won't be a contender on my Top 5 list for this year, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable 'whodunnit', that's for sure.

I recommend The It Girl by Ruth Ware to crime and thriller readers, campus novel enthusiasts and those with a special place in their heart for Oxford.

* Copy courtesy of Simon & Schuster * ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Aug 29, 2022 |
A story grippingly told by Hannah of a group of friends at Oxford who suddenly aren't so good friends anymore. Good ending believable maybe. ( )
  charlie68 | Aug 17, 2022 |
A young college student was strangled and her flat mate identified the man suspected of being her killer. He is convicted and ten years later dies in prison. Then she learns some things that make her suspect her original conclusion. As things are followed up an unexpected result ensues. ( )
  waldhaus1 | Aug 6, 2022 |
Hannah Young has been accepted at Pelham College in Oxford. She is a student from a public school whereas most of the others are from private English schools. She meets April, Will, Emily, Hugh, and Ryan on her first day there. April, who comes from a very wealthy new money family, is Hannah's suite mate. April attended prep school with Will and Hugh although Will and Hugh were also childhood friends. April seemingly has it all--looks, brains, money, and personality; however, she also has a mean streak, which can take the form of pranks played upon her friends as payback for something. When April is murdered, a porter John Neville, is charged with the murder since Hannah and Hugh saw him coming our of Stairway 7 just after the time of the murder. When John Neville dies in prison still proclaiming his innocence 10 years later, Hannah is again drawn into wondering if he was really the killer. She is married to Will and expecting their first child when she begins investigating again with the help of April's sister, November. This is a page-turner. ( )
  baughga | Aug 5, 2022 |
To Meriel, the best kind of best friend
Afterwards, it was the door she would remember.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,181,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible