Learning Python, 5th Edition by Mark Lutz

Learning Python, 5th Edition (edition 2013)

by Mark Lutz (Author)

Get a comprehensive, in-depth introduction to the core Python language with this hands-on book. Based on author Mark Lutz's popular training course, this updated fifth edition will help you quickly write efficient, high-quality code with Python. It's an ideal way to begin, whether you're new to programming or a professional developer versed in other languages. Complete with quizzes, exercises, and helpful illustrations, this easy-to-follow, self-paced tutorial gets you started with both Python 2.7 and 3.3-- the latest releases in the 3.X and 2.X lines--plus all other releases in common use today. You'll also learn some advanced language features that recently have become more common in Python code. Explore Python's major built-in object types such as numbers, lists, and dictionaries Create and process objects with Python statements, and learn Python's general syntax model Use functions to avoid code redundancy and package code for reuse Organize statements, functions, and other tools into larger components with modules Dive into classes: Python's object-oriented programming tool for structuring code Write large programs with Python's exception-handling model and development tools Learn advanced Python tools, including decorators, descriptors, metaclasses, and Unicode processing… (more)
Member:cailenbooks
Title:Learning Python, 5th Edition
Authors:Mark Lutz (Author)
Info:O'Reilly Media (2013), Edition: Fifth, 1648 pages

Work Information

Learning Python [5th edition] by Mark Lutz

I've been a developer for a while now and I wanted to myself introduced to Python. I picked up this book considering it's size - thinking it would cover a lot of concepts. I was "kinda" right. Yes, it is a big book, but it does feel quite wordy at times, though, at times, it helped me reinforce the concepts previously mentioned.

Many code samples compare between 2.x and 3.x, which was good for someone who's already been doing Python, but for a newbie like me, I just stuck to the 3.x examples and concepts.

It would have been way better if the examples would have been progressive - as in, start with something small and actually build some project(s) through the course of the book. Or maybe ask readers to do this through the code questions at the end of the chapters.

What I also found missing was the total lack of unit testing your code, which in my opinion is critical for any kind of programming. ( )
  nmarun | Apr 10, 2021 |
This is the 5th edition of Learning Python by Mark Lutz.

Please do not combine with other editions, because they cover different material and correspond to different versions of the Python programming language. This edition covers Python 3.3 and 2.7.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,201,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible