The Dead Romantics by Ashley Poston

The Dead Romantics (edition 2022)

by Ashley Poston (Author)

A disillusioned millennial ghostwriter who, quite literally, has some ghosts of her own, has to find her way back home in this sparkling adult debut from national bestselling author Ashley Poston. Florence Day is the ghostwriter for one of the most prolific romance authors in the industry, and she has a problem--after a terrible breakup, she no longer believes in love. It's as good as dead.   When her new editor, a too-handsome mountain of a man, won't give her an extension on her book deadline, Florence prepares to kiss her career goodbye. But then she gets a phone call she never wanted to receive, and she must return home for the first time in a decade to help her family bury her beloved father.   For ten years, she's run from the town that never understood her, and even though she misses the sound of a warm Southern night and her eccentric, loving family and their funeral parlor, she can't bring herself to stay. Even with her father gone, it feels like nothing in this town has changed. And she hates it.   Until she finds a ghost standing at the funeral parlor's front door, just as broad and infuriatingly handsome as ever, and he's just as confused about why he's there as she is.   Romance is most certainly dead . . . but so is her new editor, and his unfinished business will have her second-guessing everything she's ever known about love stories.… (more)
Member:Elizabeth.Petruy
Title:The Dead Romantics
Authors:Ashley Poston (Author)
Info:Berkley (2022), 368 pages

Work Information

The Dead Romantics by Ashley Poston

It was fine, but while there were some quirks to this take on the trope (mediums and ghosts), the lack of interpersonal conflict between Florence and Ben didn't draw me in. All the barriers to their relationship were outside of themselves to such a degree that when the miscommunication does happen it falls flat. The quirky side characters also were very two dimensional and played no role except as conversation partners. The only real emotion I felt while reading was Florence dealing with her father's death.

I think I'm getting tired of romance authors writing about romance authors as well. ( )
  Bodagirl | Nov 14, 2022 |
I loved this! The family was just so real. And the romance was so sweet. I didn't fall in love with Ben, but Ben & Florence. I want what they found!

As someone whose father is older, I did struggle a bit with that aspect, and I can see that if I'd lost him any time recently, I would not have been able to read this. And I'm sad I didn't get to meet him. ( )
  bertha96 | Oct 21, 2022 |
This was a delightful and unique romance.
Florence Day is a ghostwriter for a romance authors, but once her ex dumped her, she hasn't been able to write. She meets her new editor, Ben, and he refuses to allow her an extension on her deadline.
Florence is called home where her family owns a funeral parlor to deal with a tragedy.
Florence and her father share a gift-they are able to see ghosts. Florence had to leave town due to this, but now that she is back, she sees a ghost that she can't believe- her editor. Ben doesn't believe he is dead, but he clearly is. They both tell each other things they feel are safe since he is dead.
Just when you think that you have everything figured out, there is another surprise or two. Absolutely delightful! ( )
  rmarcin | Oct 8, 2022 |
This is a cute twist on a romance novel that delves into grief, self-doubt, and failure. There are several inconsistencies that an editor should have flagged, and unless South Carolina has changed dramatically, I can't imagine a small mountain town there that's as kind and openly accepting of same-sex relationships and gender-neutral pronouns and undertakers with gauged ears as Mairmont (unless it's Asheville, which is not in South Carolina). ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Oct 4, 2022 |
This is insanely YA. A pristine love affair between girl and ghost. Florence is basic, which is surprising for someone who writes for a living and who sees dead people. She has been screwed over by a long term boyfriend and lost her faith in love. The problem is that she is a ghost writer and she is past deadline on a book she owes. Just after being given an ultimatum by her new hot publisher her beloved father dies and she needs to scoot her butt out of NYC and into South Carolina. She does not seem to mourn at all, she avoids talking to her family for more than about 30 minutes a day at shared Waffle House breakfasts. They have lost their father and husband who all agree was a mensch, and everyone seems slightly bummed and goes on about their business. Florence has not been to her home town in a decade, chased out by bullies who attacked because of the aforementioned ghost whisperer powers. But despite these intolerant boobs this is a town where Florence's brother can live with his future husband in a part of town filled with rainbow colored houses, and the past football hero is now married to his nonbinary spouse, reads a lot of manga, and he and they are at the very center of town life. This is small town South Carolina mind you, not Atlanta. Let me tell you, South Carolina does not play that way.

In the midst of all this Florence meets her ghost, Ben, and their "love affair" takes up much more of her time and thoughts than her father who died days before. (There is a lot of talk about how busy she is, but other than perhaps an hour of writing and 3 errands she does nothing but wander with her ghostly BF and drink rum and cokes. (What 21st century adult drinks rum and cokes? I haven't had a rum and coke since I was drinking with a fake ID in the 80's). It is off-putting how little time she dedicates to comforting her family or thinking of ways to lighten their load. Also problematical, the ghostly BF is bland AF. I don't see what either of the MCs sees in the other besides physical comeliness and to be honest pretty doesn't count a lot when someone's lips and arms and genitalia are made of vapor.

I won't spoil the ending, but trust that it is a happy one. Sadly it could have been an unhappy one and I would not have given a single fuck.

This wasn't terrible. If I was 13 I would love it. ( )
1 vote Narshkite | Oct 3, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,141,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible