Things We Do in the Dark: A Novel by…

Things We Do in the Dark: A Novel (edition 2022)

by Jennifer Hillier (Author)

Things We Do in the Dark is a brilliant new thriller from Jennifer Hillier, the award-winning author of the breakout novels Little Secrets and Jar of Hearts. Paris Peralta is suspected of killing her celebrity husband, and her long-hidden past now threatens to destroy her future. When Paris Peralta is arrested in her own bathroom--covered in blood, holding a straight razor, her celebrity husband dead in the bathtub behind her--she knows she'll be charged with murder. But as bad as this looks, it's not what worries her the most. With the unwanted media attention now surrounding her, it's only a matter of time before someone from her long hidden past recognizes her and destroys the new life she's worked so hard to build, along with any chance of a future. Twenty-five years earlier, Ruby Reyes, known as the Ice Queen, was convicted of a similar murder in a trial that riveted Canada in the early nineties. Reyes knows who Paris really is, and when she's unexpectedly released from prison, she threatens to expose all of Paris's secrets. Left with no other choice, Paris must finally confront the dark past she escaped, once and for all. Because the only thing worse than a murder charge are two murder charges.… (more)
Member:liz0420
Title:Things We Do in the Dark: A Novel
Authors:Jennifer Hillier (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2022)

Work Information

Things We Do in the Dark by Jennifer Hillier

Paris has been accused of the murder of her famous husband. She knows this is what she should be most worried about. Sadly, this is not the case. She is terrified of the media. When her face is plastered all over the country, she knows her past will come back!

Paris is lady with many faces. At first, I didn’t quite know what to think about her. But, as the story starts to unfold, her past tears my heart up! I could hardly stand her being hurt all over again!

I am big fan of this author. I have read all her books and they are all intense, especially Jar of Hearts. This book is right up there with it! I absolutely loved the mystery surrounding Paris! You knew enough as a reader to know not all is as it seems. BUT…you just don’t know it all till the end!

Need a great story which will have you guessing…THIS IS IT! Grab your copy today!

I received this novel from the publisher for a honest review. ( )
  fredreeca | Aug 7, 2022 |
I haven’t read this author before, but heard great things about Jar of Hearts, so I dove right in.

Paris wakes up, covered in blood and husband dead in the tub! What a first chapter. She’s taken to jail, locked up and there her story takes off. At the same time Ruby Reyes aka The Ice Queen is being released after 25 years and sends threatening letters to Paris. How are they connected? A true crime podcaster enters to do a story on Ruby, and he finds secrets long buried.

I can’t say this was a thriller with one huge shocking reveal, but just good storytelling that slowly unwinds showing us the good, the bad and the ugly. After I figured out where the story was going, I settled in and threw myself into enjoying the story. Heartbreaking, dark, sad. Characters had great development, except the ones incapable of change.

Thanks to Ms. Hillier, St. Martin’s Press and NetGalley for this ARC. Opinion is mine alone. ( )
  LoriKBoyd | Aug 5, 2022 |
Things We Do in the Dark by Jennifer Hillier
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have to tell you that this audiobook gripped me instantly. I was immediately drawn into the amazing narration and the story. There is something unsettling the whole way through. You know you are going to be surprised by what happens, but the story is told in an unrushed and deliberate way. You are invested in the characters and what they have gone through. You understand right away why they must get to the truth. All the characters are fleshed out beautifully. A compelling and engaging listen!!! A brilliant story and amazing narration of the book! ( )
  Mrsmommybooknerd | Aug 3, 2022 |
Paris Peralta is in trouble, after her successful comedian husband that is 30 years for senior is found dead under mysterious circumstances. But Paris is more concerned about secrets from her past coming out.

Unfortunately I think part of my underwhelming reaction to this audiobook is related to the hype surrounding it. There's nothing necessarily wrong with it but there's nothing special about it either. I didn't find a particularly thrilling or surprising. In fact I guessed the killer immediately and was proven right. There are some dark subjects in this story in relation to the flashbacks. If you're sensitive to some of that material this may not be the book for you. I wasn't particularly bothered by that and have read and seen far worse things.

Thank you netgalley and macmillan audio for giving me an advanced review copy of this audiobook in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  mlipman | Jul 22, 2022 |
Paris Peralta is found covered in blood next to her wealthy celebrity husband's body, a straight razor in her hand. As she sits in the back of a police cruiser on her way to jail, what worries her is not her current predicament, but that secrets from her past may come to light.
Jennifer Hillier starts off Things We Do In The Dark with a premise so intriguing that you just have to keep turning the pages to find out what's going on. Despite being married to a celebrity and a much older man, Paris has avoided the limelight. With her arrest for his murder, that's about to change. Ruby Reyes, aka the Ice Queen, was convicted for a similar crime 25 years ago in Canada. Ruby is about to be released from jail and threatens to spill all of Paris's secrets.

Hillier crafts a delightfully twisty tale. The story bounces between the present and the 1990s. Drew Malcolm, a podcaster who knew Ruby's daughter decides to do a podcast about Ruby now that she is scheduled to be released. Shifting perspectives keeps shedding new light on the mystery. Hillier plants enough clues to let you guess some of what is coming next, but she doesn't let these mini-reveals wait until the end. She spins them out and lets them take the plot in a new direction that will keep you trying to figure out how they all fit together until the very end.

The characters are easily relatable, if not always entirely sympathetic. The story has plenty of twists and turns that hold your interest throughout and will have you racing to the end. Paris is a great character and Hillier does a great job of connecting you to her humanity. Things We Do In The Dark is a must-read for suspense fans and Hillier does a masterful job of keeping the pages flying by.

I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher. ( )
  tottman | Jul 20, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,741,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible