The Messy Lives of Book People by Phaedra…

The Messy Lives of Book People (edition 2022)

by Phaedra Patrick (Author)

The house cleaner of a famous author must carry out her employer's shocking last wish in this delightful new novel from beloved author Phaedra Patrick Mother of two Liv Green barely scrapes by as a maid to make ends meet, often finding escape in a good book while daydreaming of becoming a writer herself. So she can't believe her luck when she lands a job housekeeping for her personal hero, megabestselling author Essie Starling, a mysterious and intimidating recluse. The last thing Liv expected was to be the only person Essie talks to, which leads to a tenuous friendship. When Essie passes away suddenly, Liv is astonished to learn that her dying wish was for Liv to complete her final novel. But to do so Liv will have to step into Essie's shoes. As Liv begins to write, she uncovers secrets from the past that reveal a surprising connection between the two women--one that will change Liv's own story forever... Look for Phaedra Patrick's previous charming bestsellers! The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper Rise and Shine, Benedict Stone The Library of Lost and Found The Secrets of Love Story Bridge… (more)
Member:ChersBooks
Title:The Messy Lives of Book People
Authors:Phaedra Patrick (Author)
Info:Park Row (2022), Edition: Original, 352 pages

Work Information

The Book Share by Phaedra Patrick

Book started slowly, dragged a bit, and then found its appropriate pace, and picked up. Good plot but felt an additional story line, perhaps with one of Liv's sons, or possibly through a friend would have given the novel more depth and balance.

Also disappointed in samples of Essie Starling's writing; didn't feel substantial enough for Liv and thousands of others to be huge fans, follow her series, and feel that it made a difference in their lives.

Best part of The Messy Lives of Book People is Liv!

Watching Liv live her life doing her best for others, her family and clients, allowing herself to be disrespected, manipulated and underpaid rang true because I've seen many women brought up to live that demeaning role.

But once Essie starts asking Liv questions, and Liv is asked to help with Essie's 20th book, she is excited and stoked. And seeing how Liv gains confidence through her life-changing experience is pleasing, fun, and engaging.

Patrick also provided wonderful daily descriptions of Liv's marriage with Jake leaving me to wonder and care about how that would shake out.

So I'm thinking that perhaps Patrick had the last part of the book worked out in her head but then needed to come up with a beginning that would make sense. And that is why the backbone of the novel is found in the last third. .

Will definitely try another Patrick novel.
  Bookish59 | Aug 13, 2022 |
Olivia works as cleaner for several clients, among them famed author Essie Starling, and her long time favorite writer. When Essie passes away, she leaves instructions for Olivia to finish her final novel. This novel details the transformation of Olivia from cleaner to writer, fulfilling her life's dream. She uncovers secrets about the author and about her own family that lead her in surprising and sometimes uncomfortable directions. In the process, Olivia must closely scrutinize what she really finds meaningful in her life.

This story could be a book-lover's dream, as readers can easily place themselves in the novel. Most readers can identify with the place books hold in their hearts and the influence books and writers exert on their lives, just as Olivia portrays in the story. There are many different ways the story could have ended and many different points in the novel when that ending could have occurred. Personally, I felt as if it went on too long. Readers will have to decide for themselves about their satisfaction with the ending chosen by the author. This is a clean read, without strong language, violence, or graphic intimacy.

I received this novel from the publisher and from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Aug 9, 2022 |
This is the first book I've read by Phaedra Patrick. It is definitely a page turner! The story is full of intrigue, mystery, and the interconnectedness of hopes, dreams, and relationships. You have to read clear to the end to find the resolution.

Enjoy the read. I am looking forward to reading the rest of her works. ( )
  prudencegoodwife | Aug 4, 2022 |
With this book, I've caught up on reading all of Phaedra Patrick's novels. This one was my favorite. I loved that the main character was an underdog and a middle age woman finding herself and asserting her worth. This book hit some great notes for me: British, books about books, woman writing her own new beginning in life. Well done. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 25, 2022 |
The Messy Lives of Book People by Phaedra Patrick is a 2022 Park Row publication.

Liv, a professional cleaner, lands a job working for one of her favorite, but reclusive, authors- Essie Starling. Essie is far from the warmest person on earth, but she eventually begins to thaw towards Liv.

But then tragedy strikes when Essie suddenly passes away, leaving behind an unusual set of instructions- one of which is that Liv finish Essie’s latest WIP.

Suddenly, Liv is thrust into a lifestyle she could only daydream about before. But writing is hard- especially when you are ghostwriting a long-time, much beloved series and keeping your activities hidden from your family, on top of that. The balancing act is exhausting- but Liv is determined to see it through…

But as she delves deeper into Essie’s life, troubling questions begin to surface about Essie’s love life and Liv is determined to find out which relationship break-up was so devastating that Essie isolated herself for so many years...

Okay, so the title drew me to this book right away. Book people! Sounds like a book tailored made for me, right? As it turns out, it was- just not in the way I was expecting.

The story is not heavy by any means, but it was certainly more serious and less whimsical that I had anticipated. Liv’s marriage, a long-term stability in her life, suddenly comes under scrutiny, as she realizes her life is in a rut, and she might be harboring some resentments.

As Liv steps into Essie's world, presenting herself as Essie’s assistant, it opens the door to a journey of self-discovery.

The best part of the novel is how Liv's love of books is so darned relatable. She shows how comforting books can be, how the characters we come to know and love can come to our rescue or help us realize our own dreams.

Though writers are not always how we might imagine them to be, as Liv discovers, but, there could also be a link between author and reader that binds us together in the most surprising and poignant ways.

Overall, this is one of those ‘good for the soul’, ‘feel-good’ books. It’s a lovely, clean story that anyone can enjoy, especially all the ‘book people’ out there!

4 stars ( )
  gpangel | Jul 14, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,172,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible