The Perfect Crime

by Vaseem Khan (Editor), Maxim Jakubowski (Editor)

Other authors: Amer Anwar (Contributor), Oyinkan Braithwaite (Contributor), Henry Chang (Contributor), SA Cosby (Contributor), Sulari Gentill (Contributor)16 more, Nelson George (Contributor), Rachel Howzell Hall (Contributor), Sheena Kamal (Contributor), Sanjida Kay (Contributor), Ausma Zehanat Khan (Contributor), Thomas King (Contributor), Imran Mahmood (Contributor), Nadine Matheson (Contributor), Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Contributor), Walter Mosley (Contributor), Abir Mukherjee (Contributor), Mike Phillips (Contributor), JP Pomare (Contributor), John Vercher (Contributor), David Heska Wanbli Weiden (Contributor), Felicia Yap (Contributor)

Around the world in 22 murders... MURDER BLACKMAIL REVENGE From Lagos to Mexico City, Australia to the Caribbean, Toronto to Los Angeles, Darjeeling to rural New Zealand, London to New York - twenty-two bestselling crime writers from diverse cultures come together from across the world in a razor sharp and deliciously sinister collection of crime stories. Featuring Oyinkan Braithwaite, Abir Mukherjee, S.A. Cosby, Silvia Moreno-Garcia, J.P. Pomare, Sheena Kamal, Vaseem Khan, Sulari Gentill, Nelson George, Rachel Howzell Hall, John Vercher, Sanjida Kay, Amer Anwar, Henry Chang, Nadine Matheson, Mike Phillips, Ausma Zehanat Khan, Felicia Yap, Thomas King, Imran Mahmood, David Heska Wanbli Weiden and Walter Mosley. 'An absolute delight! The Perfect Crime is the most original, and captivating, short fiction anthology to come along in ages... this book is a one-sitting read.' JEFFERY DEAVER, author of The Bone Collector and The Midnight Lock 'A collection of crime writers from diverse cultural backgrounds, united by the quality of their compelling stories. A hugely welcome and long-overdue anthology' MARK BILLINGHAM, no. 1 Sunday Times Bestseller… (more)

“The Perfect Crime” is an all-original anthology of 22 crime stories “from diverse cultures around the world,” the idea being that crime fiction has largely been written by white authors featuring white characters, and this volume aims to challenge that hegemony. Fair enough, but it turns out that the “diverse cultures around the world” is almost entirely limited to the US and UK - by my count, 15 of the 22 stories here take place in those two countries, albeit with non-white characters and/or authors involved. That said, this anthology like many others is a mixed bag; some stories work well and others less well. As always with story collections, one reader’s favorites will not be the same as another’s. My particular favorites include Editor Vaseem Khan’s own entry, “Death in Darjeeling”; a lovely sort-of Bluebeard retelling, “The Beautiful Game” by Sanjida Kay; the very clever “The Yellow Line” by Ausma Zehanat Khan set in Toronto and confronting racist behavior in the subway and other public places; First Nations author Thomas King’s very funny “Chinook”; and Walter Mosley’s neo-science fiction story “Bring Me Your Pain.” I think the premise of the anthology is an excellent one, even if the execution was not all that it could be, and I plan to search out some of the other works of some of these authors, so I thank the editors for introducing me to these new voices; moderately recommended. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Feb 12, 2024 |
4.5⭐️

The Perfect Crime is a unique selection of short stories (some longer than the others), featuring authors from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, revolving around themes of murder and mayhem, clandestine affairs, betrayals, hate crimes, corruption, blackmail and revenge.

From America to New Zealand and the UK to India, the settings for the stories are as varied as the stories themselves. We have a bouncer who discovers the identity of the person who murdered his girlfriend, the victim of hate crimes who decides to take matters into her own hands, a court reporter with a penchant for collecting buttons, a professional photographer who is roped in to take pictures of her boyfriend's child with his wife, an army veteran turned PI who discovers a human trafficking ring while driving through a “sundown town”, the mysterious death of a tutor of a prestigious school, wedding photographers who capture more than wedding photos on an assignment, a sheep farmer whose sheep are disappearing mysteriously, a young romance turned sour, a young woman dazzled by the attention of a celebrity sportsman only to find herself stranded in his home in a remote location, former bank robbers who have to hash out a mystery from their past, a prank by the graduating class of a military academy that triggers one of the administrator’s childhood phobias and trauma attached to the same and much more.

Edited by Maxim Jakubowski and Vaseem Khan this anthology features works by S.A. Cosby, Silvia Moreno-Garcia, J.P. Pomare Sulari Gentill, Nelson George, Rachel Howzell Hall, John Vercher, Sanjida Kay, Amer Anwar, Henry Chang, Nadine Matheson, Oyinkan Braithwaite, Abir Mukherjee, Sheena Kamal, Vaseem Khan, Mike Phillips, Ausma Zehanat Khan, Felicia Yap, Thomas King, Imran Mahmood, Walter Mosley and David Heska Wanbli Weiden.

Very rarely have I come across an anthology as impressive as this. I loved most of the stories and liked the rest. The narratives are crisp, well-paced and versatile in plot and characterization. While a few of them feature procedural crime-solving, others focus on the PoVs of the perpetrators or victims-turned-avengers. Not all these stories end on a tidy note , with many of them ambiguous leaving the reader guessing. My personal favorites were Ausma Zehanat Khan’s The Yellow Line, Silvia Moreno-Garcia’s The Land of Milk and Honey, Vaseem Khan’s Death in Darjeeling, J.P.Pomare’s For Marg, Amer Anwar’s Quiet Night In and Oyinkan Braithwaite’s Jumping Ship.

The Perfect Crime is an exquisitely curated selection of stories that kept me engaged till the very end. I thoroughly enjoyed it and loved discovering many new authors whose works I hope to explore further. If you are a fan of this genre , you wouldn't want to miss this one! ( )
  srms.reads | Sep 4, 2023 |
As in most anthologies stories varied in interest. Some not detective fiction, strictly speaking.
  ritaer | Jan 30, 2023 |
The mystery genre has been going through a sort of renaissance in the last five to ten years—and that "rebirth" has not only produced high-quality work, it has also significantly diversified the genre. As editors Khan and Jakubowski explain in the introduction, in the past the world of mystery writing was white-dominated and writers of color who did work in the genre often felt they had to write predominantly white characters. At that time, when a mystery was presented in a "foreign" or non-white culture, the authors were generally white and depicted such cultures through the lens of their own limited experience with the culture and their preconceived ideas about that culture.

In The Perfect Crime, Khan and Jakubowski have assembled an excellent body of mystery stories written by authors from geographically and culturally diverse backgrounds and placed in widely varying settings. As a reader of mysteries, I favor full-length works, but this collection of stories kept me engaged and left me eager to look up longer works by the authors of individual stories.

As is happening in some other genres, the world of mysteries is becoming more and more like the world we live in—global, not just local—and that makes for richer more interesting reading for all of us. Seeing the "real world" requires seeing and connecting with those who differ from us. A reality dominated by a single culture or community makes for less-than-satisfying living, just as it makes for less-than-satisfying reading.

I received a free electronic review copy of this title from the publisher via EdelweissPlus the opinions are my own. ( )
  Sarah-Hope | Nov 21, 2022 |
I love learning about the landscapes and the cultures of the world, and I've found that one of the best ways to do so is through the crime fiction that I choose to read. An excellent source to feed this addiction of mine has long been the extraordinary short story anthology series published by Akashic, and when I learned that this book was being published, I knew I had to read it. After all, it contained stories written by several of my favorite authors.

Consequently, I could enjoy stories by authors I knew (S.A. Cosby, Sulari Gentill, Rachel Howzell Hall, Ausma Zehanat Khan, Vaseem Khan, Walter Mosley, Abir Mukherjee, David Heska Wanbli Weiden) while finding new-to-me authors like Silvia Moreno-Garcia and John Vercher, more of whose work I want to read.

The Perfect Crime takes readers all around the globe and introduces them to many cultures. There's not a bad apple in this anthology barrel, but I have to give special shout-outs to Rachel Howzell Hall's "Clout Chaser" and Ausma Zehanat Khan's "The Yellow Line." The tastiest of them all? John Vercher's "Either Way I Lose" set in 1919 Omaha, Nebraska. This story simply blew me away with its truth, power, and visceral, deeply emotional, knockout punch. Absolutely one of the best things I've read all year.

If you're an armchair traveling sleuth, you definitely need to get your hands on a copy of The Perfect Crime. I hope readers will be treated to a second volume in the future.

(Reading copy courtesy of the publisher and Net Galley) ( )
  cathyskye | Sep 11, 2022 |

Vercher, JohnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weiden, David Heska WanbliContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yap, FeliciaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,350,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible