Sparring Partners (Homecoming, Strawberry…

Sparring Partners (Homecoming, Strawberry Moon, Sparring Partners) (edition 2022)

by John Grisham (Author)

#1 New York Times bestselling author John Grisham is the acknowledged master of the legal thriller. In his first collection of novellas, law is a common thread, but America's favorite storyteller has several surprises in store.   "Homecoming" takes us back to Ford County, the fictional setting of many of John Grisham's unforgettable stories. Jake Brigance is back, but he's not in the courtroom. He's called upon to help an old friend, Mack Stafford, a former lawyer in Clanton, who three years earlier became a local legend when he stole money from his clients, divorced his wife, filed for bankruptcy, and left his family in the middle of the night, never to be heard from again--until now. Now Mack is back, and he's leaning on his old pals, Jake and Harry Rex, to help him return. His homecoming does not go as planned. In "Strawberry Moon," we meet Cody Wallace, a young death row inmate only three hours away from execution. His lawyers can't save him, the courts slam the door, and the governor says no to a last-minute request for clemency. As the clock winds down, Cody has one final request.  The "Sparring Partners" are the Malloy brothers, Kirk and Rusty, two successful young lawyers who inherited a once prosperous firm when its founder, their father, was sent to prison. Kirk and Rusty loathe each other, and speak to each other only when necessary. As the firm disintegrates, the resulting fiasco falls into the lap of Diantha Bradshaw, the only person the partners trust. Can she save the Malloys, or does she take a stand for the first time in her career and try to save herself? By turns suspenseful, hilarious, powerful, and moving, these are three of the greatest stories John Grisham has ever told.… (more)
Member:ubchm
Title:Sparring Partners (Homecoming, Strawberry Moon, Sparring Partners)
Authors:John Grisham (Author)
Info:Doubleday (2022), Edition: First Edition, 320 pages
Collections:Fiction

Work Information

Sparring Partners by John Grisham

Lending

Checked out 2022-09-18

I thought it was going to be a book, instead of 3 short stories with no endings. What happened to the guy on death row? Did he escape, have a heart attack and die before he was executed, go in a coma? He had to be in good physical condition before they could kill him. That's just the first story. The other 2 stories didn't end either. I was disappointed. ( )
  azroadrunner88 | Sep 11, 2022 |
I gave the book 3 stars because I did enjoy the stories. The reason it is only 3 stars is because 1) I did not realize it was 3 different stories when I got it and 2) Each one of the stories left you hanging and there was no closure at all. ( )
  vjmtam | Sep 7, 2022 |
Typical Grisham: reads fast and with interest of what's coming on the next page. The downside - his (also typical) unrelenting cynicism of main characters and the general practice of law. Out of the three novellas ("Homecoming", "Strawberry Moon", "Sparring Partners"), my favorite is "Strawberry Moon" - probably because there is at least a glimmer of some goodness there, although not in the plot itself, which is death row. Somehow, John Grisham doesn't "wow" me anymore, like he did by his early novels. ( )
1 vote Clara53 | Aug 22, 2022 |
Although I enjoy Grisham’s writings, I am not a fan of novellas and Sparring Partners is composed of three of them.

Homecoming. The time is 1991, the place is Ford County, the setting of other Grisham works. Attorney Mack Stafford disappeared from the town ofClanton; he declared bankruptcy, divorced his wife, abandoned his family. There was a lot of suspicion that he absconded with ill gotten funds. Three years later, he reaches out to attorney Jake Brigance (a Grisham character readers have met in earlier works) because he wants to return home.

Grisham is a talented storyteller; this story is meh.

Strawberry Moon chronicles the last three hours of a young man on death row about to be executed. When he was 14, he and his brother burgled a house resulting in the homeowners and his brother being killed. As an accomplice, he was sentenced to death. Now 19, he reflects back on his history and his life in solitary.

This was a heartbreaking story.

Sparring Partners chronicles a family law practice. The founder is in jail for murdering his wife; his sons who hate each other are driving the business into the ground. All of their unsavory antics are observed by a long suffering associate.

I thought this the best of the three offerings; well worth a read and I loved the ending! ( )
  vkmarco | Jul 16, 2022 |
Character development and the challenge each has dealing their circumstances is what makes the novellas. An unfair pending execution and prosecution of a bribery to block another bribery are two of the Challenges. ( )
  waldhaus1 | Jul 9, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,091,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible