HomeGroupsTalkExplore

How to Survive Your Murder

by Danielle Valentine

Scream meets Happy Death Day in this terrifying stand-alone horror novel from YA scream queen Danielle Valentine. "This terrifying book reads like a horror movie. No, wait. It has the suspense and shocks and screams of TEN horror movies in one. Great nasty fun!" --R.L. Stine, author of Goosebumps and Fear Street Alice Lawrence is the sole witness in her sister's murder trial. And in the year since Claire's death, Alice's life has completely fallen apart. Her parents have gotten divorced, she's moved into an apartment that smells like bologna, and she is being forced to face her sister's killer and a courtroom full of people who doubt what she saw in the corn maze a year prior. Claire was an all-American girl, beautiful and bubbly, and a theater star. Alice was a nerd who dreamed of becoming a forensic pathologist and would rather stay at home to watch her favorite horror movies than party. Despite their differences, they were bonded by sisterhood and were each other's best friends. Until Claire was taken away from her. On the first day of the murder trial, as Alice prepares to give her testimony, she is knocked out by a Sidney Prescott look-alike in the courthouse bathroom. When she wakes up, it is Halloween night a year earlier, the same day Claire was murdered. Alice has until midnight to save her sister and find the real killer before he claims another victim.… (more)
audiobook (1) fiction (1) final girl (1) horror (1) horror movies (1) murder (1) mystery (1) scary (1) thriller (3) time travel (1) to-read (8) US (1) USA (1) YA (1)

I was on the edge of my seat during the entire book. So good. ( )
  ReneeGreen | Jan 26, 2023 |
I was excited to read How to Survive Your Murder. The cover of the book caught my attention so I was ready to jump right in. To me, it took awhile to get to the point of the story. Once it did the book picked up some. I really liked the concept of the story, but the execution wasn’t great. I love how the sisters stuck together. I was a little disappointed in the ending. I would have liked a little more explanation. I do read a lot of young adult but this felt a little younger to me. I think a younger audience will enjoy this book. I understand the references to horror movies, but I felt it was too much. It was a little overkill for me. I am a fan of the time travel concept, so I did enjoy that. Overall, I would not say this is a bad book, just didn’t completely work for me. It was a quick read and there is a lot of enjoyable parts to the story. If there is a sequel would I read it…probably. ( )
  lkatz59 | Oct 30, 2022 |
Top notch creep factor with red herrings galore, and an ending that leaves you shaking your head. ( )
  sennebec | Oct 3, 2022 |
How to Survive Your Murder is new from YA author Danielle Valentine.

Okay, if you're a fan of slasher and teen horror movies, you're going to want to pick up this one. There are so many references to 90's film culture that I recognized or knew.

Alice and her sister Claire go to a high school Hallowe'en party held at....wait for it....a cornfield. (What's rule one? Stay out of the cornfield and look out for chainsaws!) Well, Claire ignored that caveat and died. A year has passed and Alice is attending the trial of the killer. She is the lone witness - and the Final Girl. And then there's a Cinderella moment - Alice is knocked out and when she wakes, it is Halloween night a year earlier, the same day Claire was murdered. Alice has until midnight to save her sister and find the real killer.

At first I wasn't totally sold on the Cinderella twist, but I quickly changed my mind and embraced it. There's a lot of leeway afforded to the plot with that twist. But best of all, the ropes keep coming and the choices for whodunit change rapidly.

Valentine's dialogue and depiction of high school life, relationships, romance, teen culture and more rings true. (At least they do from my experience. ;0)

And that ending? Did not see that coming! There's a couple of ways it could be interpreted and personally I would have liked a less nebulous finale. But I applaud the last page twist.

With Hallowe'en in the near future, this would be a perfect (and fun) seasonal read! Just remember - stay out of the corn maze....or basement.....or check your backseat or.... ( )
  Twink | Sep 30, 2022 |
Ally's life starts to unravel after she sees her sister murdered on Halloween night. She's about to testify in court when she has a weird encounter that sends her back in time to "learn a lesson". She spends a lot of time watching horror movies and talking about what it takes to be a final girl. In her redo of the night her sister was killed, she tries to unravel who the killer really is and what's the cost if things play out differently. ( )
  ewyatt | Sep 20, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,787,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible