Children of God (Ballantine Reader's…

Children of God (Ballantine Reader's Circle) (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Mary Doria Russell

Member:kitsunekon
Title:Children of God (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
Authors:Mary Doria Russell
Info:Ballantine Books (1999), Paperback, 438 pages
Tags:scifi

Children of God by Mary Doria Russell (1998)

Recently added byjesmlet, private library, ecmross, niallh, wisemetis, agenbiteofinwit, TLWelsh1108
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (102)  Japanese (1)  All languages (103)
The second book in The Sparrow Series, I read the first awhile ago. This picks up with Emilio Sandoz after his return to earth suffering from severe pain and PTSD. Emilo rejects his religion and leaves the priesthood and tries to start a life over again only to find himself back on board a spacecraft and knowing he will never see his family again until they are old or even gone and not knowing what he will find when he gets to Rakhat. This is a story that has many similarities to the Bible and evangelism but also covers subjects of racism, resistance, change.

I was told t hat I needed to read this to really get an end to the first book, The Sparrow. This is a tale of forgiveness. ( )
  Kristelh | Feb 18, 2019 |
Audiobook: It was hard to adjust from David Colacci narrating The Sparrow, to Anna Fields narrating this novel, but after the initial adjustment period, I think that Anna Fields did a good job. She had to handle a lot of different accents for this book! The only one I didn't like was "Standard White American Male" accent. The other ones are quite good.
Children of God is not quite as riveting as the first novel, The Sparrow, and I think that novel could have been left to stand alone, but I think Russell brings a lot of good to this book as well. The scientific lens is still applied to the narrative, though this time we see more of an environmental science slant, rather than general anthropology or language. I like the exploration of the topic of genocide in a science fiction setting. I think she neatly ties up the story lines, but I felt some of that was a little forced/hokey. ( )
  renardkitsune | Nov 25, 2018 |
Read twice! Once in 2012 and again in 2018. ( )
  txorig | Sep 27, 2018 |
The stimulating conclusion to THE SPARROW does not disappoint.

We all know one person's actions can lead to a chain reaction. Preparing for the consequences is difficult. Life experiences are a great teacher and what we rely on for guidance. Yet, are your experiences and belief systems justified?

What do you do when it seems as if everything spirals out of your control and others still want you to lead?

Take a peek inside CHILDREN OF GOD to see where faith and science collide. ( )
  godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |
I loved the Sparrow. Started this one and I wanted to wall-bang the first few pages in. I gave up then and there. I did go back a couple of years later and give it one more try, This time, knowing what to expect at the beginning, I managed to get a little further into it. I still gave up on it pretty early on though. I think I got tired of the main character wallowing in self-pity - and the author keeps referring to some traumatic event that happened, but it was taking far too long to get started into telling about what that was, I just gave up again. ( )
  catzkc | Mar 23, 2018 |

Mary Doria Russellprimary authorall editionscalculated
di Bodone,GiottoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
KATE SWEENEY
and
JENNIFER TUCKER

hermanas de mi alma
Sweating and nauseated, Father Sandoz sat on the edge of his bed with his head in what was left of his hands.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044900483X, Paperback)

Children of God is the sequel to Mary Doria Russell's 1996 The Sparrow, which saw a Jesuit mission to the planet Rakhat end in disaster. The sole survivor of that mission, a priest named Emilio Sandoz, returned a beaten and broken man, having suffered rape and mutilation at the hands of enigmatic aliens. Now the Jesuits want to go back to Rakhat, and they want Sandoz aboard the new mission. But Sandoz has renounced his priesthood and even found a measure of happiness with his new wife and stepdaughter. Meanwhile, on Rakhat, contact with the humans has thrown the local culture into turmoil, precipitating a war between Rakhat's two sentient races. As forces conspire to send Emilio back to Rakhat--and toward a possible reconciliation with God--the planet verges on genocidal destruction. Children of God is a more polished novel than The Sparrow, and the story is equally compelling.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

A priest named Emilio Sandoz embarks on a quest to demystify God's providence that leads him to question the possibility of faith.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,202,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible