Legends & Lattes: A Novel of High Fantasy…

Legends & Lattes: A Novel of High Fantasy and Low Stakes (original 2022; edition 2022)

by Travis Baldree (Author)

After a lifetime of bounties and bloodshed, Viv is hanging up her sword for the last time. The battle-weary orc aims to start fresh, opening the first ever coffee shop in the city of Thune. But rivals old and new stand in the way of success. Not to mention the fact that no one has the faintest idea of what coffee even is. If Viv wants to put the blade behind her and make her plans a reality, she won't be able to go it alone. But the true rewards of the uncharted path are the travelers you meet along the way. And whether drawn together by ancient magic, a flaky pastry, or a freshly brewed cup, they may become partners, family, and something deeper than she ever could have dreamed.… (more)
Member:Kamryn_Moon
Title:Legends & Lattes: A Novel of High Fantasy and Low Stakes
Authors:Travis Baldree (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2022), 304 pages
Collections:Currently reading, Your library

Work Information

Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree (2022)

Earlier this year I read “Legends & Lattes” by Travis Balder and thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s a fantasy novel about a large, violent, slightly aging orc woman, Viv, who’s decided to give up adventuring and open a coffee shop in a nice, quiet city.

It opens with her acquiring a magic item during her last “adventure” that’ll help with the shop.

The book then goes through her trials and tribulations as she tries to find the ideal spot for the shop, get it built, hire staff, bring in customers, handle the local organized crime lord, etc. Nothing is easy, of course.

Early on she meets a couple of people who start off as work-for-hire but eventually become friends. And customers who blur the line between customers and friends, and Viv’s business slowly grows.

Some of what I loved about this book is it combines two things that hit a note with me. I’ve been interested in fantasy books since I was a pre-teen in the early 1980’s, so the genre is right up my alley.

And at one point in my childhood, 1980, give or take a year or two, my father tried to open a coffee shop in our small town. A place with gourmet coffee, which wasn’t a common thing back then, long before Starbucks was a household name. He tried to get people interested by having a lot of board games, live folk music (the only other live music venue in town was a hard drinking tavern with country influenced rock), and gourmet pastries that no other shop in our town had.

I wasn’t privy to a lot of the business details, of course, I was too young. But I have good memories of hanging out there sometimes, playing board games, Pente being my favorite and listening to the music.

So in “Legends & Lattes” some of Viv’s challenges are right out of some of my old memories…

Overall, I enjoyed this book immensely, and I’m looking forward to the follow up from Baldree, that I already have in my stack… ( )
  KevinRubin | Jul 14, 2024 |
Loved the concept and fell in love with the characters and setting. Descriptions were top tier and you really felt like you were there. However ending felt rushed and super quick compared to the beginning and middle of the book. Would've loved more details over that section of the book (and maybe a bit beyond). ( )
  ChrisMoone | Jun 30, 2024 |
This one was touted as a sweet, pleasant, cozy, good-hearted read, and that sounded like exactly what I was in the mood for right now, but... Well, I'm afraid for me it missed "cozy" entirely and landed straight on "irredeemably bland."

Which is too bad. The premise sounds like a lot of fun. In a D&D-style setting, Orcish adventurer Viv has decided to hang up her sword and pursue her dream of opening a coffee shop, even though pretty much no one around her has even heard of this exotic gnomish stuff called coffee. And the way she sets about basically creating a 21st-century coffee shop in this fantasy world did, briefly, seem kind of cute. Oh, look, now they've invented biscotti, ha! Except... Well, you know how, these days, coffee shops all over the place have started to feel completely interchangeable? And, yeah, there's a comfortable familiarity to that, but maybe a bit of local color might actually be more interesting? This is basically that in novel form. No local color, no sense of the fantasy setting as a real place that matters in any way. Just your average boring completely familiar coffee shop with some vague fantasy flavor. For those familiar with fanfictional tropes, it's basically a coffeeshop AU without the AU part, and... Well, maybe before picking this one up I should have thought about how much I dislike coffeeshop AUs and the way they suck out all the specific details of settings and stories that make them interesting to me and replace them with the boringly mundane.

Mind you, it could have worked, anyway, if it were played with the right kind of humor, or if the characters were compelling enough to carry the whole thing by themselves, but no and no. And the oh-so-pat "and then everything works out fine because of the Power of Friendship!" ending was far too cartoonish for me.

Then again, maybe the simple truth is that I'm entirely too Gen X to really enjoy anything that's praised on the back cover for being "wholesome." ( )
  bragan | Jun 12, 2024 |
Light and enjoyable. Now I want a coffee and a chocolate croissant. ( )
  DocHobbs | May 27, 2024 |
Sweet. Warm and Fuzzy. Good for bath time. ( )
  TheDragonHoard | May 27, 2024 |
Legends & Lattes, by Travis Baldree, is a sweet and gentle story about what happens after your orc heroine kills all the bad guys and gets all the treasure. It’s the D&D / coffeeshop AU mashup that I didn’t know I wanted to read about.

Travis Baldreeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baldree, TravisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowmiller, CarsonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nickolls, LeoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For anyone who wondered where the other road led...
Prologue: Viv buried her greatsword in the scalvert's skull with a meaty crunch.
1: Viv stood in the morning chill, looking down into the broad valley below.
People just sat around drinking it from these little ceramic cups, and I had to try it, and . . . it was like drinking the feeling of being peaceful. Being peaceful in your mind. Well, not if you have too much, then it's something else.
...where she wiped away the debris of her furtive bean-grinding.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,405,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible