In a Dark, Dark Wood: A Gothic Fairytale…

In a Dark, Dark Wood: A Gothic Fairytale Romance (The Forest Tales Series… (edition 2022)

by Cece Louise (Author)

Series: The Forest Tales (4)

Member:knvr1225
Title:In a Dark, Dark Wood: A Gothic Fairytale Romance (The Forest Tales Series Book 4)
Authors:Cece Louise (Author)
Info:Jabberwocky Tales (2022), 297 pages

Work Information

In a Dark, Dark Wood by Cece Louise

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers.

A Young Adult book set in a forest in a kingdom where things aren't what they seem, especially not the reclusive prince's new bride. The novel is an easy read with unexpected resolutions to the mysteries of the series. One of those resolutions may not have been such a surprise if I'd read the first book in this series but I hadn't and didn't need to as the novel stood alone and that particular mystery fitted well within the story. It was very cleanly written and wouldn't offend anyone. ( )
  flusteredduck | Jun 17, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won a copy from LibraryThing. The opinions expressed here are my own.
I had a conversation with two colleagues on the last day of school. All three of us were discussing the types of books we like to read and our choices for the summer. None of us like gushy romance. What I read in Cece Louise’s book, In A Dark, Dark Wood is the exact type of book I will recommend to them. Calia is trying to save her sisters. She goes to the castle hoping to secure employment for herself and her sisters. Instead she concocts a plan that will secure her sister’s well-being, free her brother from a prisoner ship and solve an issue for the King and Queen. Since she resembles their missing daughter, she will go to Ebonwood to marry the prince in their daughter’s place. This is important since their kingdom is on the edge of ruin.
Calia is not exactly welcomed by the Prince. At first he come off as very cynical. As I read further into his story I realized the effect abusive words and betrayal had on him. It is Calia, a survivor who has the ability to change all of that. She is willing to sacrifice everything, including herself for her siblings. How far will she go to help this prince she is slowly falling in love with?
This book had it all for me. A touch of romance that builds slowly and is not shoved in your face. A mystery that must be solve. Since I had not read this author before I was surprised by how well written the mystery is. I was completely blindsided. I loved the darkness of this book. To me there is a difference between downright evil feeling darkness in a book and mysterious, murderous darkness. This had that dark gothic feel that I love. Can’t wait to share this with my two friends. I love this author enough I have purchased the first three books in this series to read.
  skstiles612 | May 28, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this as an Early Review copy and I can honestly say that I loved this book. The characters were well written and the pace of the book was perfect. I enjoyed the atmosphere and build up of mystery that the author created, even though I think a few characters got off lightly. I have now purchased the first in the series after reading this one. ( )
  bookymouse | May 19, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love the feeling of being submerged into the timeline and atmosphere characters experience of books I am reading, and Cece Louise really captivates you with an authentic gothic/forest/old kingdomy setting in "In a Dark, Dark Wood." While I didn't find the story to be all that deep or complex, I thought it was a quick and easy, and enjoyable, fairy tale-esque read, wrapped in a bow with mystery, romance and a twist! ( )
  knvr1225 | May 10, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In a Dark, Dark Wood by Cece Louise is a great book. I read it in two nights. I love the fact that the Brone, the Prince isn't perfect nor is the heroine Calia, who is actually a commoner. I love the fact that it was not "love at first sight." You actually see the process of these two falling in love. It's not about lust or bedroom antics, but the true process of what it is to really fall in love.
  Antares1 | May 6, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Cece Louise's book In a Dark, Dark Wood was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Cece Louise is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,985,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible