The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirteenth…

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirteenth Annual Collection (1996)

by Gardner Dozois (Editor)

Other authors: Poul Anderson (Contributor), Terry Bisson (Contributor), Pat Cadigan (Contributor), Greg Egan (Contributor), Michael F. Flynn (Contributor)17 more, Joe Haldeman (Contributor), James Patrick Kelly (Contributor), John Kessel (Contributor), Nancy Kress (Contributor), Ursula K. Le Guin (Contributor), Ian R. MacLeod (Contributor), David Marusek (Contributor), Paul J. McAuley (Contributor), Maureen F. McHugh (Contributor), Robert Reed (Contributor), Mary Rosenblum (Contributor), Geoff Ryman (Contributor), William Sanders (Contributor), Dan Simmons (Contributor), Brian Stableford (Contributor), Allen Steele (Contributor), Michael Swanwick (Contributor)

Series: Dozois Year's Best Science Fiction (13), Mammoth Book of Best New Science Fiction (9)

Book Description: New York, NY, U.S.A.: St. Martin's Griffin, 1996. Soft Cover. Very Good. 1st Edition 2nd Prtg. 8vo - over 7" - 9¾" tall. Large Trade PB, VG, 592 pp.,
  Czrbr | Jun 7, 2010 |
Another great anthology highlighted by Marusek's "We Were Out of Our Minds With Joy". ( )
  KingRat | Jun 17, 2008 |
Another solid collection from editor Gardner Dozois, this one covering short fiction initially published in 1995. I found my responses to the individual stories pretty well split, although I can say that even in some of the stories that didn't really work for me I could acknowledge the author's efforts to take on an interesting, or intriguing or novel topic. I found it interesting that many of these stories were about artists of the future.

My favorites included "Starship Day" by Ian MacLeod, a story which had me quite skeptical until everything clicked together near the end; "Death in the Promised Land" by Pat Cadigan, a fairly average little detective story set within one of the more compelling VR descriptions I can remember reading; "The Death of Captain Future" by Allen Steele, a story that offered plenty of adventure and humor, with a little dollop of unexpected pathos at the end; "Radio Waves" by Michael Swanwick, a very original story about the hereafter; and my personal favorite "Looking for Kelly Dahl" by Dan Simmons.

The biggest disappointment was Greg Egan’s “Luminous,” where I found both the basic premise, and how people responded thereto, not to be even slightly credible. There were quite a few stories that I rated as only “average,” including Maureen McHugh's Hugo winning "The Lincoln Train." ( )
  clong | Dec 29, 2007 |

Steele, AllenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Swanwick, MichaelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eggleton, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marritt, PhilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is a different series from Best Science Fiction Stories of the Year (also by Dozois)
Reprinted as Best New SF 9 in the UK.

The marvels of tomorrows past and tomorrows yet to come abound in this delightful volume. With two dozen imaginative and moving tales, this collection includes the work of the finest writers in the field, among them

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,841,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible