Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice (1813)

by Jane Austen

53,8349868 (4.43)7 / 3007
Member:qwiksilver
Title:Pride and Prejudice
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Palm Digital Media, Peanut Press Classic
Rating:*****
Tags:Dual Media, ebook, Literature, 19th Century

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1813)

Emma by Jane Austen (CeciP)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (nu-bibliophile)
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (carlym)
    The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (humouress)
    humouress: For those who love Pride and Prejudice, and want to know more about the context it was written in, the annotated version adds depth to Jane Austen's work.
    Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick & Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (amanaceerdh)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (BookishRuth, Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Bonzer)
    Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (amanaceerdh)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (SandSing7)
    SandSing7: Wharton is as American as Austen is British. Read both works for a comparitive "across the pond" view on the novel of manners.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (Hollerama)
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (carlym, amanaceerdh)
    Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym's first book, but I would really recommend any of her works to admirers of Jane Austen. She has the same sensibility, the same grasp of the English social order and the English village, and populates her books with very similar people. But, more important, she has the same sense of humor, and the same marvelous touch with comedies of manners.… (more)
    The Cambridge Introduction to Jane Austen by Janet Todd (aynar)
    The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC) by Susie Conklin (aynar)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Although one is fantasy and the other isn't, Meliara has with Vidanric, the same problem Lizzy has with Darcy: prejudice. She keeps wanting to bite his head off when all he does is help her. Love them all!
    Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier (lucyknows)
    Helen by Maria Edgeworth (MissBrangwen)

English (917)  Spanish (13)  Italian (11)  French (7)  Dutch (7)  Swedish (6)  Catalan (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Danish (3)  German (3)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (978)
[From Ten Novels and Their Authors, Heinemann, 1954, pp. 64-66:]

Pride and Prejudice is a very well-constructed book. The incidents follow one another naturally, and one’s sense of probability is nowhere outraged. It is, perhaps, odd that Elizabeth and Jane should be well-bred and well-behaved, whereas their mother and their three younger sisters should be, as Lady Knatchbull put it, “very much below par as to good society and its ways”; but that this should be so was essential to the story. I have allowed myself to wonder that Miss Austen did not avoid this stumbling-block by making Elizabeth and Jane the daughters of a first marriage of Mr. Bennet and making the Mrs. Bennet of the novel his second wife and the mother of the three younger daughters. She liked Elisabeth best of all her heroines. "I must confess,” she wrote, ''that I think her as delightful a creature as ever appeared in print.'' If, as some have thought, she was herself the original for her portrait of Elisabeth – and she has certainly given her own gaiety, high spirit and courage, wit and readiness, good sense and right feeling – it is perhaps not rash to suppose that when she drew the placid, kindly and beautiful Jane Bennet she had in mind her sister Cassandra. Darcy has been generally regarded as a fearful cad. His first offence was his disinclination to dance with people he didn’t know, and didn’t want to know, at a public ball to which he had gone with a party. Not a very heinous one. It was unfortunate that Elizabeth should overhear the derogatory terms in which he spoke of her to Bingley, but he could not know that she was listening, and his excuse might have been that his friend was badgering him to do what he had no wish to. It is true that when Darcy proposes to Elizabeth it is with an unpardonable insolence, but pride, pride of birth and position, was the predominant trait of his character, and without it there would have been no story to tell. The manner of his proposal, moreover, gave Jane Austen opportunity for the most dramatic scene in the book; it is conceivable that, with the experience she gained later, she might have been able to indicate Darcy’s feelings, very natural and comprehensible feelings, in such a way as to antagonize Elizabeth, without putting into his mouth speeches so outrageous as to shock the reader. There is, perhaps, some exaggeration in the drawing of Lady Catherine and Mr Collins, but to my mind little more than comedy allows. Comedy sees life in a light more sparkling, but colder, than that of common day, and a touch of exaggeration, that is, of farce, is often no disadvantage. A discreet amount of farce, like sprinkle of sugar on strawberries, may well make comedy more palatable. With regard to Lady Catherine, one must remember that in Miss Austen's day rank gave its possessors a sense of immense superiority over persons of inferior station; and they not only expected to be treated by them with utmost deference, but were. In my own youth I knew great ladies whose sense of importance, though not quite so blatant, was not far removed from Lady Catherine's. And as for Mr. Collins, who has not known, even to-day, men with that combination of obsequiousness and pomposity? That they have learnt to screen it with a front of geniality only makes it more odious.
  WSMaugham | Jul 17, 2016 |
Very enjoyable as an audiobook. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 11, 2016 |
This is one of the few books I've read twice, (well, listened to on audiobook and then read) and it was even better the second time through. Why? Because, since the suspense about the romances didn't take all of my attention, I got to really enjoy Austen's pointed wit in her portrayal of many of the supporting characters, especially Mr. Collins and Lady Catherine. The brief peek into the future at the end of the book left me wanting more. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
11 años pueden cambiar muchas cosas.

Como ya muchos saben, no leía este libro desde el 2004. En aquel entonces me pareció una joya del romance (claro que a los 14 años cualquier cosa parece una joya del romance so, you know), Mr. Darcy me parecía perfecto y Elizabeth la protagonista más inteligente que me hubiese encontrado jamás.

Tras esta relectura, sin embargo, me consigo con que:

a) Se me hace imposible considerar Orgullo y Prejuicio como un romance. Ahora me resulta evidente que se trata de una critica a la sociedad inglesa del siglo XIX. Todas las señales están ahí; desde el satírico desarrollo de cada uno de los personajes —del más sensato (Mr. Bennet), pasando por los intelectuales (Mary), hasta el más necio (Collins)—, hasta la profunda ridiculización de las situaciones que estos protagonizan. Sí, claro que en medio de todo eso hay una historia de amor, pero ¿qué libro no tiene una?

b) Elizabeth Bennet no es más que el alter ego de Jane Austen. Lizzy confiesa, en más de una ocasión, que se dedica al estudio del carácter de todos aquellos quienes la rodean y que disfruta el reírse de los defectos de sus conocidos. Descripción fidedigna de Austen si nos fijamos en los temas de sus obras y escritos. Paralelamente a esto, debo admitir también que Elizabeth me agradó mucho menos que en nuestro primer encuentro. Su ingenio me pareció menos perspicaz, sus bromas y -jah!- prejuicios hacia los demás me parecieron excesivos, inclusive su "amor" por Darcy se me hizo calculado. Este, misteriosamente, comienza a aflorar cuando visita Pemberley y, de hecho, ella misma afirma luego que la riqueza del caballero influye en sus sentimientos hacía él; y que aunque estos "no son tan tiernos como los de Jane por Bingley, ciertamente son sensatos".

c) Darcy me sigue pareciendo tan perfecto como siempre. El grosero y déspota que se ve transformado gracias al amor es un tema recurrente en las novelas rosas -y no tan rosas- modernas, sin embargo nadie ha logrado retratarlo tan magistralmente como Austen con su orgulloso Mr. Darcy. Humillar a los demás con inteligencia y elegancia no es tarea fácil, pero alguien tiene que hacerlo.

En conclusión: Aunque no lo disfruté tanto como lo hice por allá por el 2004 -cuando la historia de amor me cegó ante cualquier defecto-, Orgullo y Prejuicio es un clásico que no pierde fuerza. Su retrato de la sociedad -exceptuando los carruajes y algunas otras formalidades de la época- se mantiene vigente; lo avanzado de sus personajes (sobretodo la independencia de Elizabeth) y su romance siempre serán puntos de referencia. Una lectura obligada para románticos y cínicos, por igual.

En 11 años pueden cambiar muchas cosas, pero el encanto que me produce esta historia no es una de ellas. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Loved the movie as well. Ah. Mr. Darcy. ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

...men ”Stolthet och fördom” är en glad roman, tack vare Elizabeth Bennets frejdiga humör och relativa frispråkighet. I Gun-Britt Sundströms nyöversättning ges gott om utrymme för tvetydigheten i hennes repliker, för skrattet som bubblar under ytan.

[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

När jag läser Sundströms översättning blir det för första gången tydligt för mig hur skickligt Austen tryfferar romanen med små överdrifter, sarkasmer, nålstick av spydighet, utan att läsaren för den skull tappar engagemanget i intrigen. Humorn gäller särskilt gestaltningen av bokens karikatyrer, Elizabeths ytliga och giriga mamma mrs Bennet och den fjäskige och inbilske mr Collins, den släkting som aspirerar på att överta familjegodset.

Satírica, antirromántica, profunda y mordaz a un tiempo, la obra de Jane Austen nace de la observación de la vida doméstica y de un profundo conocimiento de la condición humana. Orgullo y prejuicio ha fascinado a generaciones de lectores por sus inolvidables personajes y su desopilante retrato de una sociedad, la Inglaterra victoriana y rural, tan contradictoria como absurda. Con la llegada del rico y apuesto señor Darcy a su región, las vidas de los Bennet y sus cinco hijas se vuelven del revés. El orgullo y la distancia social, la astucia y la hipocresía, los malentendidos y los juicios apresurados abocan a los personajes al escándalo y al dolor, pero también a la comprensión, el conocimiento y el amor verdadero. Esta edición presenta al lector una nueva traducción al castellano que devuelve todo su esplendor al ingenio y la finísima ironía de la prosa de Austen.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

I "would rather have written Pride and Prejudice, or Tom Jones, than any of the Waverley Novels"
added by GYKM | editGeorge Henry Lewes, George Henry Lewes

Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride by Helen Halstead

Lydia Bennet's Story: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Odiwe

Loving Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

From Lambton to Longbourn by Abigail Reynolds

Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton

Lady Catherine's Necklace by Joan Aiken

Pemberley Shades by D. A. Bonavia-Hunt

My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Diana Birchall

In the Arms of Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Consequence by Elizabeth Newark

The Trouble with Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Mr. Darcy's Little Sister by C. Allyn Pierson

Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Mr. Darcy's Secret by Jane Odiwe

Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A tale of a gentleman and an officer by Karen Wasylowski

Conviction: A Sequel To Jane Austen's Pride And Prejudice by Skylar Hamilton Burris

The Unexpected Miss Bennet by Patrice Sarath

Miss Darcy Falls in Love by Sharon Lathan

The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men by Jack Caldwell

Pride and Pyramids: Mr. Darcy in Egypt by Amanda Grange

Assumed Engagement by Kara Louise

Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel by Regina Jeffers

Teverton Hall by Jane Gillespie

The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy by Marsha Altman

The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery by Regina Jeffers

Second Impressions by Ava Farmer

The Journey by Jan Hahn

Pemberley Revisited by Emma Tennant

Illusions and Ignorance: Mary Bennet's Story by S. E. Ward

Deborah PP by Jane Gillespie

Colonel Fitzwilliam's Correspondence: Fitzwilliam Darcy's cousin, the Colonel is bound for war on the Peninsula. Is there love in his future while war is waged across Europe? by D. W. Wilkin

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.
Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"
Though Lydia's short letter to Mrs. F. gave them to understand that they were going to Gretna Green, something was dropped by Denny expressing his belief that W. never intended to go there, or to marry Lydia at all, which was repeated to Colonel F., who, instantly taking the alarm, set off from B. intending to trace their route. He did trace them easily to Clapham, but no farther; for on entering that place they removed into a hackney-coach and dismissed the chaise that brought them from Epsom. All that is known after this is that they were seen to continue the London road. I know not what to think. After making every possible enquiry on that side London, Colonel F. came on into Hertfordshire, anxiously renewing them at all the turnpikes, and at the inns in Barnet and Hatfield, but without any success; no such people had been seen to pass through. With the kindest concern he came on to Longbourn, and broke his apprehensions to us in a manner most creditable to his heart.
ISBN 0141024038 is a Penguin Books edition of Pride and Prejudice.
Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553213105, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character, who if provoked is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp -- but always polite -- 18th century wit. The point is, you spend the whole book absolutely fixated on the critical question: will Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy hook up?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:55 -0400)

In early nineteenth-century England, Elizabeth Bennett, a spirited young woman copes with the romantic entanglements of her four sisters, and her feelings for Fitzwilliam Darcy, a brooding gentleman.

11 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439513, 014025157X, 0141028106, 0451530780, 0143105426, 0141037512, 0141329734, 1408248816, 0141199075, 0143123165, 0734306229

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449879225, 1449879233

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,544,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible