Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice (1813)

by Jane Austen

55,21710068 (4.42)7 / 3251
Member:qwiksilver
Title:Pride and Prejudice
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Palm Digital Media, Peanut Press Classic
Rating:*****
Tags:Dual Media, ebook, Literature, 19th Century

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1813)

Emma by Jane Austen (CeciP)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (nu-bibliophile)
    Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick & Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (carlym)
    The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (humouress)
    humouress: For those who love Pride and Prejudice, and want to know more about the context it was written in, the annotated version adds depth to Jane Austen's work.
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (BookishRuth, Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Bonzer)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (amanaceerdh)
    Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (amanaceerdh)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (SandSing7)
    SandSing7: Wharton is as American as Austen is British. Read both works for a comparitive "across the pond" view on the novel of manners.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (HollyMS)
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (carlym, amanaceerdh)
    The Cambridge Introduction to Jane Austen by Janet Todd (aynar)
    Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym's first book, but I would really recommend any of her works to admirers of Jane Austen. She has the same sensibility, the same grasp of the English social order and the English village, and populates her books with very similar people. But, more important, she has the same sense of humor, and the same marvelous touch with comedies of manners.… (more)
    The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC) by Susie Conklin (aynar)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Although one is fantasy and the other isn't, Meliara has with Vidanric, the same problem Lizzy has with Darcy: prejudice. She keeps wanting to bite his head off when all he does is help her. Love them all!
    Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier (lucyknows)
    Belinda by Maria Edgeworth (catherinestead)

1810s (1)

English (937)  Spanish (15)  Italian (12)  French (7)  Dutch (7)  Swedish (6)  Catalan (4)  All (3)  Danish (3)  German (3)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1,001)
Pride and Prejudice is about five sisters in 19th century England. Their mother would like nothing more than to marry them all off to handsome rich men. Mr. Bingley, a young single rich man arrives in the area, and immediately falls in love with the oldest sister, Jane (and vice versa). Mr. Bingley's friend Mr. Darcy has an immediate dislike for the second sister, Elizabeth, as she does for him...or so it seems...

I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I really did. I'm not a big fan of 19th century literature, which is what made me a bit hesitant to try Austen, though I kept thinking I should. I finally have, and I really enjoyed it! Sometimes she goes on a bit, and I found my mind wandering on occasion, but mostly I really liked it, and I will read more of her books! ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 26, 2017 |
I am most highly gratified. Miss Austen is highly accomplished and her superior writing has exceeded my expectations of felicity. I can no longer dissemble and leave my most sincere approbation. ( )
  Lord_Boris | Feb 21, 2017 |
I've watched several versions, but never read. Having recently watched the Pride, Prejudice and Zombies I kept having that flash in my head for the first part. Listened to it while working on yarn blanks. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 15, 2017 |
Familiarizing myself with an analysis of the novel and understanding that it was written as satire and a social commentary increased my enjoyment of this book. I recommend listening to an audio version. The stilted language and wordiness of the era can be difficult to slog through, but a great narrator can make the book come alive and allows the humor to shine through. I listened to the free podcast available on iTunes...highly recommended! ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
First of all, I'm so proud of myself for finishing this book! Although it took me nearly 2 months to finish it, it was the first classic novel that I ever read and not being fluent in English it was very difficult for me to read.
I had no idea what to expect of this book with it being the first classic I've ever read but I ended up loving it. Though it was a tough book for me I'm glad I ploughed through it because I've always been interested in English literature and have always wanted to read classics and now I know that it is possible for me to read them. Another reason I'm glad I finished this book is, of course, Mr. Darcy! Even before I read this book, I knew Mr. Darcy to be the hero of this book but I was doubtful where that came from the first 60% of the book. But after the letter and his being so kind and generous and gentleman-like, I understood what everyone else was going about. He's become one of my favorite characters of all time!
I'm so glad I read this book and I plan on reading more classics soon. ( )
1 vote bookishpeach240 | Feb 7, 2017 |
[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

...men ”Stolthet och fördom” är en glad roman, tack vare Elizabeth Bennets frejdiga humör och relativa frispråkighet. I Gun-Britt Sundströms nyöversättning ges gott om utrymme för tvetydigheten i hennes repliker, för skrattet som bubblar under ytan.

[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

När jag läser Sundströms översättning blir det för första gången tydligt för mig hur skickligt Austen tryfferar romanen med små överdrifter, sarkasmer, nålstick av spydighet, utan att läsaren för den skull tappar engagemanget i intrigen. Humorn gäller särskilt gestaltningen av bokens karikatyrer, Elizabeths ytliga och giriga mamma mrs Bennet och den fjäskige och inbilske mr Collins, den släkting som aspirerar på att överta familjegodset.

Satírica, antirromántica, profunda y mordaz a un tiempo, la obra de Jane Austen nace de la observación de la vida doméstica y de un profundo conocimiento de la condición humana. Orgullo y prejuicio ha fascinado a generaciones de lectores por sus inolvidables personajes y su desopilante retrato de una sociedad, la Inglaterra victoriana y rural, tan contradictoria como absurda. Con la llegada del rico y apuesto señor Darcy a su región, las vidas de los Bennet y sus cinco hijas se vuelven del revés. El orgullo y la distancia social, la astucia y la hipocresía, los malentendidos y los juicios apresurados abocan a los personajes al escándalo y al dolor, pero también a la comprensión, el conocimiento y el amor verdadero. Esta edición presenta al lector una nueva traducción al castellano que devuelve todo su esplendor al ingenio y la finísima ironía de la prosa de Austen.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

I "would rather have written Pride and Prejudice, or Tom Jones, than any of the Waverley Novels"
added by GYKM | editGeorge Henry Lewes, George Henry Lewes

Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice Mansfield Park Persuasion by Jane Austen

Northanger Abbey/Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

The Complete Novels (including Lady Susan) by Jane Austen

Emma / Mansfield Park / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Is retold in

Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride by Helen Halstead

Lydia Bennet's Story: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Odiwe

Loving Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

From Lambton to Longbourn by Abigail Reynolds

Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton

Lady Catherine's Necklace by Joan Aiken

Pemberley Shades by D. A. Bonavia-Hunt

My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

In the Arms of Mr. Darcy (Pride & Prejudice Continues) by Sharon Lathan

Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Diana Birchall

Consequence by Elizabeth Newark

The Trouble with Mr. Darcy: Pride and Prejudice continues... (Pride & Prejudice Continues) by Sharon Lathan

Mr. Darcy's Little Sister by C. Allyn Pierson

Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Mr. Darcy's Secret by Jane Odiwe

Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A tale of a gentleman and an officer by Karen Wasylowski

Miss Darcy Falls in Love by Sharon Lathan

Conviction: A Sequel To Jane Austen's Pride And Prejudice by Skylar Hamilton Burris

The Unexpected Miss Bennet by Patrice Sarath

The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men by Jack Caldwell

Assumed Engagement by Kara Louise

Pride and Pyramids: Mr. Darcy in Egypt by Amanda Grange

Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel by Regina Jeffers

Teverton Hall by Jane Gillespie

The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy by Marsha Altman

The Journey by Jan Hahn

The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery (Pride & Prejudice Mysteries) by Regina Jeffers

Second Impressions by Ava Farmer

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.
Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"
Though Lydia's short letter to Mrs. F. gave them to understand that they were going to Gretna Green, something was dropped by Denny expressing his belief that W. never intended to go there, or to marry Lydia at all, which was repeated to Colonel F., who, instantly taking the alarm, set off from B. intending to trace their route. He did trace them easily to Clapham, but no farther; for on entering that place they removed into a hackney-coach and dismissed the chaise that brought them from Epsom. All that is known after this is that they were seen to continue the London road. I know not what to think. After making every possible enquiry on that side London, Colonel F. came on into Hertfordshire, anxiously renewing them at all the turnpikes, and at the inns in Barnet and Hatfield, but without any success; no such people had been seen to pass through. With the kindest concern he came on to Longbourn, and broke his apprehensions to us in a manner most creditable to his heart.
ISBN 0141024038 is a Penguin Books edition of Pride and Prejudice.
Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553213105, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character, who if provoked is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp -- but always polite -- 18th century wit. The point is, you spend the whole book absolutely fixated on the critical question: will Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy hook up?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:55 -0400)

In early nineteenth-century England, Elizabeth Bennett, a spirited young woman copes with the romantic entanglements of her four sisters, and her feelings for Fitzwilliam Darcy, a brooding gentleman.

10 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439513, 0141028106, 0451530780, 0143105426, 0141037512, 0141329734, 1408248816, 0141199075, 0143123165, 0734306229

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449879225, 1449879233

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175064, 1909175005

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,658,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible