Tutto per una ragazza by Nick. Hornby

Tutto per una ragazza (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Nick. Hornby (Author)

At the age of fifteen, Sam Jones's girlfriend gets pregnant and Sam's life of skateboarding and daydreaming about Tony Hawk changes drastically.
Member:babxba
Title:Tutto per una ragazza
Authors:Nick. Hornby (Author)
Info:Guanda Editore (2008)

Slam by Nick Hornby (2007)

English (116)  Norwegian (3)  German (3)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (126)
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
So I know that most literature is always about men, for men, and from the perspective of a man, because the ability to write, to read, and to have perspective in general has been denied women for most of written history. But why is it that 99.999% of books are written with crap characters who never act as their real counterparts might? How is it that it happens so rarely that an author is able to capture the psyche of the male, if that is all they have been working on for generations?

And how is Nick Hornby so good at it? I smiled with recognition nearly throughout the book. Sure there were tons of bullshit cliches. And sure it was corny that this kid listened to Green Day and talked to Tony Hawk for advice. But how is it that Nick Hornby is able to capture the thought patterns of teenage boys (and, as someone who is well out of his teen years, men in general), and the details are the only shit parts? It's usually the other way around.

We watch Sam mosey through life like a real kid, acting like a real kid, and DEFINITELY communicating like a real person. Nick Hornby has some insight into the male brain, its true. We watch Sam think carefully about his words, carefully working out which are the best responses, and then, when he actually says them, he's blindsided with the response that he never saw coming, and as a reader, we also never saw. Its really a pleasure to live inside a real character, and to feel real emotions. Frankly, its rare, and its why I stay away from fiction in general.

I really enjoyed this one. I laughed a lot, and I even cried a little when the character cried right after the baby was born. ( )
  magonistarevolt | Apr 30, 2020 |
In this novel, Hornby tackles the male adolescent mind rather than the adolescent qualities of the grown male mind. It is very funny at times. The hapless son of a teenage mother gets his girlfriend pregnant when he is only sixteen. There are all kinds of well-meaning people in his life, but he gets most of his advise from a poster of Tony Hawk, his idol, who is only able to speak in lines from his autobiography. ( )
  Seafox | Jul 24, 2019 |
“Slam” slides by on its author’s enormous charm, however, and on its exploration of some hard-won truths, including this encompassing definition of what adult love really is: a project “full of worry and work and forgiving people and putting up with things and stuff like that.”
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Dwight Garner (Nov 11, 2007)

For Lowell and Jesse
So things were ticking along quite nicely.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,682,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible