The Duke's Daughter by Angela Thirkell

The Duke's Daughter (1951)

by Angela Thirkell

Angela Thirkell wrote a series of Barsetshire novels that pick up several years after Anthony Trollope's Chronicles of Barsetshire. She is true to Trollope's form while demonstrating her own style. The Duke's Daughter is one of the later novels in the series, and I've only read one other, which took place much earlier. Each book theoretically stands on its own; however, reading The Duke's Daughter I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd missed a lot of the characters' history. And, since many of them shared surnames with Trollope characters, I became distracted trying to piece together the genealogy. Still, it was a fun read concerning several different young people who you know will ultimately pair off in a 3-wedding happy ending, but along the way there are mishaps and plenty of opportunities to make sport of the gentry. I'll definitely read more of Thirkell's novels, but I'll start nearer the beginning next time. ( )
  lauralkeet | Dec 13, 2013 |
One of a series set in amodern version of Trollope's Barsetshire; my father liked them. I inherited them but have not read them, though I like Trollope's Barset novels.
  antiquary | Oct 7, 2013 |
Deep as had been the county's interest in the marriage of Mr. Adams the wealthy ironmaster and Lucy Marling, daughter of old Squire Marling, even deeper was its curiosity about their future.
Marigold burst into the kitchen with something black in her hand. ... "Ow, Mrs Allen, it's my new black cami-knicks," said Marigold, brandishing a garment of black sateen edged with lace of the revolting colour known in lingerie circles as ecru. "I got them cheap off one of the usherettes at the Barchester Odeon." ... "Now don't be so silly, Marigold", said Lady Cora. "And if you want cami-knickers you'd better get pink ones. The girls that wear black never get the star parts."
"If ever I marry," said Lady Cora, "my husband will have to beat the boys and I shall send the girls to bed. And when they grow up they will all boast to their children about it."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515028894, Mass Market Paperback)

In THE DUKE'S DAUGHTER, ordinary country pleasures provide the happenstance for the hopes and hesitations of young love. Family names familiar from earlier installments of Barsetshire series- Marling and Adams, Winter and Waring, Belton and Dale- populate the pages of this engaging novel, as enamored men and women find their way into each other's hearts, culminating in one day in which three engagements are announced! To the traditional concerns of the gentry is added a fierce displeasure with intrusions of the post-war government (the office of "Red Tape and Sealing Wax"), yet this new-found preoccupation does nothing to deter the onset of a happy ending for all concerned.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:00 -0400)

The young people of Barsetshire find their way into each other's hearts, culminating in the announcement of three engagements.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,437,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible