Mother Noise: A Memoir by Cindy House

Mother Noise: A Memoir (edition 2022)

by Cindy House (Author)

Told in essays and graphic-narrative shorts, this memoir illustrates the author's struggles with addiction and motherhood and her ongoing efforts to reconcile the two, capturing the desire to look hopefully forward, while acknowledging the darkness of the past.
Member:db179c
Title:Mother Noise: A Memoir
Authors:Cindy House (Author)
Info:S&S/ Marysue Rucci Books (2022), Edition: First Edition, 240 pages

Work Information

Mother Noise by Cindy House

Recommended by Erin W.

House's essays range from her time in Chicago in the last '80s and early '90s, time as an addict, stints in rehab and recovery, and her present-day life in Connecticut with her son and husband. David Sedaris taught House at SAIC and has mentored her since, providing support and confidence in her writing (which is stellar). A few essays are in graphic novel format.

Content warning: addiction, depression, custody battle/emotional abuse

Quotes

We want to protect our children from everything. (After the Telling, 3)

The world is inhospitable and can make us want to disappear, and knowing this could prepare him enough to save himself. But what if the information about my past works not as a warning but instead as a blueprint? (6-7)

If you shake me, the past still rattles around inside. (Self-Storage, 59)

...makes me shiver, just picturing their future, the desperation that kind of want can grow into, the way a kid's unmet needs can take over the rest of his life. (The Roof Over Our Heads, 68)

They say in recovery you're frozen right at the age you were when you first picked up. You stop growing emotionally because you never learn to work through anything. (79)

Maybe that is what drives us to make art out of the worst things that happen to us. Maybe for some of us, that is how we survive. (Morton's Fork, 117)

Part of parenting is letting them separate and see you as human and flawed. (The Tell, 149)

Sometimes people in this world will shock you with how good they are and you never even see it coming. (Hospital Scenes, 186) ( )
  JennyArch | Jul 27, 2022 |
nonfiction/memoir - autobiographical essays on addiction, depression, rehab, single motherhood, nasty divorce with violent ex + toxic stepmother to her son, etc. by writer/artist of New Haven CT via Boston.

Refreshing and raw; looking forward to more from this skilled writer. ( )
  reader1009 | Jun 25, 2022 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,708,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible