In the Garden of Iden (1997)

by Kage Baker

Series: The Company (1)

Poor Mendoza. She's not thrilled about being sent to Renaissance England. It's a cold, backward, unsafe country. Gray curtains of rain. The food crawling with bacteria. No flush toilets. She won't get to see Shakespeare either. He hasn't been born yet. The English hate the Spanish like smallpox, especially now with bulldog-faced Mary on the throne. But Mendoza is no longer a frightened little girl in the dungeons of the Inquisition; she's a Company-trained botanist and has an assignment - to save Ilex tormentosum, a species of holly that will go extinct in a hundred years. She must save it for Dr. Z and the twenty-fourth century. Kage Baker, in her first novel, tells the story of a spunky young cyborg who, though an immortal operative, falls for Master Nicholas Harpole, a mortal with pale blue eyes, good legs, and a smooth, rich tenor that hangs on the air like a violin.… (more)

Very good book, very well written. ( )
  mattwa33186 | Jan 2, 2021 |
The first book in the Company series; I was so excited to discover them. Now, I'm nostalgic since the author is no longer with us. I found her writing provocative. In the next few books Mendoza will mature, but in this one she is a teenager who will get a life lesson. ( )
  mirihawk | May 21, 2020 |
So now I guess I need to find more Company novels. ( )
  pjohanneson | May 5, 2020 |
mendoza inghilterra 1500 ( )
  SamanthaRaciti | Feb 25, 2020 |
You don't expect genre overlap of science fiction, religious history, and romance, especially in a fairly short novel. Baker pulls it off, and I was moved by the doomed young lovers. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
In the Garden of Iden is Kage Baker's debut novel of "The Company." It's a science fiction novel set in the 1550s, during the reign in Britain of Queen Mary. Baker's fluid style is a joy to read and her transformation from "modern" English to Renaissance and back to modern is wonderful. This is a marvelous debut and I can't wait to read more in the series.

Right off, the title lets you know that this is a story about loss of innocence. If you're one of those people who are put off by obvious metaphors, don't let that stop you from reading this book. It manages to be quite funny and terrifying at the same time.

Kage Bakerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blythe, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, Katherine Carmichael Baker,
and her mother, Kate Jeffreys Carmichael,
and for Athene Mihalakis,
a Gray-Eyed Goddess if ever there was one.
I am a botanist. I will write down the story of my life as an exercise, to provide the illusion of conversation in this place where I am now alone. It will be a long story, because it was a long road that brought me here, and it led through blazing Spain and green, green England and ever so many centuries of Time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,631,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible