Whispering Rock (Virgin River, Book 3) by…

Whispering Rock (Virgin River, Book 3) (edition 2007)

by Robyn Carr (Author)

Series: Virgin River (3)

A decorated U.S. Marine reservist, LAPD officer Mike Valenzuela was badly wounded in the line of duty, but has found hope and healing in Virgin River. When he agrees to become the town's first cop, he does so knowing it's time he settled down. Twice divorced and the lover of too many women, he secretly longs for the kind of commitment and happiness his marine buddies have found, a woman who can tie up his heart forever. He finds that woman in Brie Sheridan, a Sacramento prosecutor who understands his drive to protect and serve. Virgin River becomes a safe haven for Brie after nearly losing her life at the hands of a crazed criminal. Mike will do anything to help Brie free herself from painful memories. Passionate, strong and gentle, he vows to give back to her what she's so selflessly given him, her heart, and with it, a new beginning.… (more)
Member:CourtneyAnauo
Title:Whispering Rock (Virgin River, Book 3)
Authors:Robyn Carr (Author)
Info:MIRA (2007), Edition: Original, 400 pages

Work Information

Whispering Rock by Robyn Carr

This installment sees Brie, a former California prosecutor arrive in Virgin River where she is fleeing the city after being abducted by a crazed criminal. Also coming to town is Mike Valenzuela, an ex-marine who was wounded in the line of duty. I believe he suffers with PTSD. This installment was not near as good as the first two. The lengthy graphic sex scenes comprise a good part of this book. This will probably be the last one in the series for me, too formulaic: two broken people find each other and fix everything with sex. 369 pages ( )
  Tess_W | May 9, 2022 |
This is the third (and probably last for me) of the series. Same blueprint: woman in trouble, hunky ex-military man to rescue and hot steamy sex which leaves nothing to the imagination. ( )
  travelgal | Mar 23, 2022 |
This series gets better and better! Mike is just an awesome dude and I love how considerate his character was written. From a POV of a survivor, I can tell you this book represented many feelings that are not talked about generally and I am so thankful and more in love with this series. ( )
  iamcmims | Apr 4, 2021 |
This book needs serious warnings on it.

Mike Valenzuela, former Marine and LAPD Detective has moved to Virgin River to get away. Three bullets almost took his life, now he's gotten stronger and trying to find peace. But he's always had this thing for Jack's sister.

Jack's sister Brie is in the aftermath of a rape case she lost. She's floundering, wondering what happened and what the hell is she supposed to do now. THEN the rapist gets to her and brags telling her to have fun trying to convict him because he wore a condom so there is no evidence.

Now add to this already rough subject....teen boys taking advantage of girls by drugging and raping them. Two of whom only know they had sex because they end up pregnant and with an STD.

Overload right? I almost didn't make it through this book. In fact I don't know why I finished it, stubbornness? I can at least thank the author for not getting overly graphic, that would have sent me over the edge.

Of course everything works out. The rapist is caught, taken to trial and this time convicted. The teen boys are found using a drug buy sting operation. Everyone recovers and lives happily ever after. Um, that face I'm making is from the sour taste in my mouth from that last sentence.

One more book in the bundle someone gifted me. Keep your fingers crossed it can redeem this series.

ChachaJ | Feb 1, 2021 |
Oh man. This one got me in the feels. The third book in the “Virgin River” series focuses on Mike Valenzuela and Brie Sheridan. There was a minor flirtation between the two in the last book with Mike still thinking about Brie. However, after a horrible incident happens to Brie, our heroine is left feeling shattered with Mike standing by to show her that he’s her guy. This love story gave me all the feels people.

Trigger warning that rape is brought up throughout this entire book.

For once the A plot (Mike and Brie) actually worked well together in one of the B plots (incidents involving teenage girls and wild parties) due to Mike being the bridge in both stories. Of course we have Jack sucking like the wind per usual in this book. At least he got cursed out by his wife and sister in this one though. Seriously though, you would think he learn.

Brie after trying to get past what happens to her has a whole host of things to work through. Not only is Brie still processing her ex-husband betraying her in the last book by leaving her for her ex-best friend (seriously though, the hair pulling people, the hair pulling would have been epic) she is dealing with being the victim of a violent crime. Brie is a tough prosecutor who realizes that maybe this is not a path she wants to be on anymore. Especially when she sees that her brother and sisters are off enjoying their families and she’s single and lonely.

Mike was actually more of the focus in this book and I was surprised. Most of the time romance books have the heroine being the main draw. But this felt like Mike’s story to me. We definitely understand his feelings for Brie and I loved how slow he was to start a relationship with her and making sure that everything was on her terms throughout. Can I also say that even though I really enjoyed book #2, I really only liked the love scenes in this book up until now. I was left rolling my eyes about the best sex ever (Jack and Mel) and Preacher and Paige were not really raunchy or anything, most of it was just sweet. Mike and Brie had a lot of fire. I think it was because he spoke to her in Spanish a lot and we got to read what he was saying to her and she to him. Accents in books do it for me all the time.

We of course get another look at Virgin River residents that many readers should know by now. We have some new characters introduced to us (Tommy Booth, his dad, and also Paul Haggerty). I maybe rolled my eyes a few times about Paul’s plot. I could have done without that one. Like I said, I liked the first few books in the series, but after a while I wondered why anyone got near the place because everyone’s spouse (if they were a man) ended up dying it felt like.

Jack is still acting like Jack and we have party to a lot of couple fights with Jack and Mel. I maybe got tired of these two by this book. Okay, there is no maybe about it, I was 100 percent sick of the two of them by this book. I was also a little put out by Preacher explaining his and Paige’s plans to get pregnant to everyone who came to the bar. I just didn’t find the whole thing funny at all. It was a bit much to me.

The writing is typical Carr, though I have to say that she definitely once again gets very descriptive with describing sex scenes, as well as brutal aftermaths of rape as well.

The flow was once again up and down a bit in this book. I think if we had just stuck with Brie and Mike the book would have been perfect. There was a lot going on in that story. I did think it was odd though that Mike was all up in Brie’s family, but they never met his at all in this book. We just heard a lot about them.

The ending was pretty sweet when it came to Brie and Mike so that made me happy. Of course I realize after the fact that the next book is Paul’s story and that’s a character I read about in later books so I already know how that one ends. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |

Carr, Robynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Plummer, ThereseReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zweedijk, Ingridsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Michelle Mazzanti and Kristy Price, an author's best friends.
Mike Valenzuela was up and had his Jeep SUV packed long before sunrise.

The tightly knit community of Virgin River has been a safe haven for more than a few lost souls over the years -- and there's always room for more . . .

A decorated U.S. Marine reservist, LAPD officer Mike Valenzuela was badly wounded in the line of duty, but has found hope and healing in Virgin River. When he agrees to become the town's first cop, he does so knowing it's time he settled down. Twice divorced and the lover of too many women, he secretly longs for the kind of commitment and happiness his marine buddies have found -- a woman who can tie up his heart forever. He finds that woman in Brie Sheridan, a Sacramento prosecutor who understands his drive to protect and serve. Virgin River becomes a safe haven for Brie after nearly losing her life at the hands of a crazed criminal. Though tough and courageous, she's got some fears she can't escape -- but now she has someone who will show her just what it means to trust again.

Mike will do anything to help Brie free herself from painful memories. Passionate, strong and gentle, he vows to give back to her what she's so selflessly given him -- her heart, and with it, a new beginning.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,963,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible