Lost Boys of Natinga: A School for Sudan's…

Lost Boys of Natinga: A School for Sudan's Young Refugees

by Judy Walgren

Well this was educational...and depressing.

This book is a little dated from a 21st century perspective. In the context of this book, the civil war in Sudan is never-ending and the refugee crisis will only intensify. In 2011, the civil war ended and Sudan was split into two countries: North and South Sudan. I do not know how conditions on the ground have changed as a result of this. In my experience, issues with African history rarely get resolved just by redrawing the borders or ending immediate conflicts. I should do research to see how things have changed. ( )
  Bpbirdwh | Apr 23, 2018 |
Ms. Walgren takes the reader to a children's refugee camp in South Sudan during the civil war. Although it is 20 years out of date, and South Sudan is now an independent country, many of the problems explored in this book are still ongoing in the region. Using brilliant photographs and authoritative writing, Ms. Walgren describes the daily lives of children in the camp: their schools, their homes, their constant struggle for food and water, and their moments of sport and play. Both the content and the language of the book are suited to older students (7th grade or up, I would guess). No background information is assumed, and Ms. Walgren provides a brief, but effective, history of the conflict in the region. The tone of the book is fairly serious, even when lighter moments are discussed, such as playing soccer or swimming under a waterfall; it's almost as if the severity of the living situation has leeched into the pages of the book: life and death struggles are not trivial or easy, but they don't have to be dour and despondent, either; rather, there is a gravity to the text that colors the pages with pathos and the human experience. ( )
  cyoung3 | Feb 27, 2018 |
This is precisely the kind of picture book I can see using in my high school classrooms. It tells the story of a community and school, Natinga, where thousands of boys were resettled during the Sudanese civil war. As an aside - yes, the book is now concerning a struggle which technically ended in the mid 2000's, but the area is still wracked with conflict, and the themes addressed are relevant to many such struggles. This book is key to discussions of current global events, wherein we exist surrounded by a media climate which generally seems to hold the tragedies of the Northern Hemisphere as more important than those in the global South. This is unfortunate, seeing as many of these conflicts have been brought on by, or at least exacerbated by historical imperialism. It is largely structural racism and a condescending western attitude toward Africa which keeps so much of the suffering and trials of people like the students at Natinga from getting the attention that they should.
This work puts a very human face to a specific group of children and adults who survived and thrived to the best of their abilities in a terrible situation. They often went days without food, and what international aid they did receive was largely restricted to grain. Medical supplies and school supplies were exceedingly scarce, yet the students showed a vibrancy and passion for education which is largely lacking in our system of compulsory education. When the author first arrived at the camp the children ran up to her begging for paper and writing implements. The book is a study in perseverance, community, and the power of education. The author, being a photographer, included a rich array of beautiful photographs showing the day to day life of the people living and working in Natinga. These photos paint a stark yet hopeful image of the human spirit in the face of adversity. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I plan to pick up a copy to include in my classroom library. ( )
  jrnewman | Jan 31, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book a lot. It told of the adventure of young boys who were fighting to stay alive. It showed how they lived their daily lives. It was a very touching book, and it melted my heart. I would use this in my social studies class to teach my students about poverty and despair. I would like my students to learn that not every place is as wealthy as the United States is. I feel that this book would do that. ( )
  Swelker | Sep 8, 2013 |
Natinga is a school/camp for Sudanese refugee boys. During the civil war, the boys, from different tribes were kept in this camp, which was protected by the Sudanese People's Liberation Army. Basic day for a Sudanese boy. Tells of the harsh living conditions and lack of food and medicine. Lots of colorful pictures. ( )
  MelAKnee | Nov 23, 2011 |

In the remote foothills of southern Sudan thousands of boys live together in a place called Natinga. They are displaced people. The bitter civil war raging in Sudan has claimed the lives of an estimated 1.5 million people and driven more than 4 million others from their homes. Among them are countless children, many of whom have no home left to return to when and if the conflict is resolved. Natinga is the temporary refuge for about 2,000 boys, ranging in age from 8 to 18, from many different tribes. The camp is protected by the Sudanese People's Liberation Army, a group who is engaged in a fierce battle with the Islamic Arab regime that took control of the Sudanese government in 1983. The rebels claim to want to educate the boys for peace and self-government. School supplies are scarce, however, as are basic necessities such as food and medicine. In addition to the war, disease and famine are constant threats. It is unclear whether these boys will ever return to what remains of their

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:07 -0400)

Describes daily life at Natinga, a refugee camp and school established in 1993 in southern Sudan for boys forced from their homes by that country's Civil War.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,091,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible