Do Hard Things: Why We Get Resilience Wrong…

by Steve Magness (Author)

13None1,326,748NoneNone
"In Do Hard Things, Steve Magness beautifully and persuasively reimagines our understanding of toughness. This is a must-read for parents and coaches and anyone else looking to prepare for life's biggest challenges."    -- Malcolm Gladwell, author of Outliers and Talking to Strangers and host of the Revisionist History podcast From beloved performance expert and bestselling coauthor of Peak Performance comes a revolutionary science-based new definition of toughness--one that focuses on assessing a challenge on a physiological and psychological level. Toughness has long been held as a fundamental key to achieving peak performance. For generations, we've been taught toughness means bulldozing through--pushing to the point of breakdown--and that showing any sign of weakness is failure. This model of toughness has long been glorified and celebrated. But the truth is, it doesn't work. Steve Magness, a performance scientist who coaches Olympic athletes, now offers a new kind of toughness--real toughness--that can help anyone navigate adversity and challenge. Grounded in the latest sports science and psychology, real toughness is about paying attention to your physiological, emotional, and psychological responses (from pain to anger) and working with them to overcome a challenge. Real toughness works with our biology and psychology; fake toughness fights against them. Real toughness is based on four core pillars which cultivate genuine inner strength: Pillar 1- Ditch the Façade, Embrace Reality Pillar 2- Listen to Your Body Pillar 3- Respond, Instead of React  Pillar 4- Transcend Discomfort Like Endure and The Talent Code, Do Hard Things flips the script on what it means to be tough, pointing to new research that shows how our understanding of resilience--one that ignores discomfort--is wrong. Magness draws from mindfulness, military case studies, sports psychology, neuroscience, psychology, and philosophy to show how real toughness makes us more successful, happier, and better people.… (more)
Member:JinxAshforth
Title:Do Hard Things: Why We Get Resilience Wrong and the Surprising Science of Real Toughness
Authors:Steve Magness (Author)
Info:HarperOne (2022), 320 pages

Work Information

Do Hard Things: Why We Get Resilience Wrong and the Surprising Science of Real Toughness by Steve Magness

No reviews

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,982,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible