Plum Island (A John Corey Novel, 1) by…

Plum Island (A John Corey Novel, 1) (original 1987; edition 1998)

by Nelson DeMille (Author)

Series: John Corey (1)

New York detective John Corey, recovering from bullet wounds on an island, narrates his investigation into the murder of two scientists researching biological warfare. The two, a man and his wife, also appear to have been involved in a search for a pirate treasure. By the author of The Gold Coast.
Member:Warnecke
Title:Plum Island (A John Corey Novel, 1)
Authors:Nelson DeMille (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1998), 608 pages

Plum Island by Nelson DeMille (1987)

The main character, Detective John Corey, is a hit-or-a-miss kind of guy. He was sometimes endearing and sometimes obnoxious, but maybe that’s the way it is with a Manhattan cop stuck out on Long Island, recuperating from gunshot wounds. The mystery was okay and I even bought into the whole Captain Kidd’s treasure scheme, but I lost my willing suspension of disbelief at the end when Corey and Detective Beth Penrose—both non-boaters—ventured out into the ocean on a cigarette boat in the middle of a hurricane. ( )
  mtbass | May 27, 2021 |
I really liked the playful bantering mood he set up and keeps up thru the story ( )
  aldimartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
  Andy_DiMartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
Altogether a perfectly fun book. Great wise-cracking detective (perhaps entirely too annoying in 'real' life), but a totally okay guy. DeMille certainly did't phone this in since there is an enormous back story about biohazard at an agricultural research station on Plum Island; almost too much info, but more than interesting enough. Enjoyed it very much. And. The best ending in a long time. ( )
  tmph | Sep 13, 2020 |
Three stars is generous. I started out enjoying the MC's snarky attitude, despite him clearly being a male chauvinist pig. Had the book been half the length (easily do-able without disturbance to the plot), I might have rated it higher.

I started the series because a friend/neighbor enjoys it. I still like him just fine, but I don't feel particularly inspired to continue the series. ( )
  joyblue | Mar 27, 2020 |

Nelson DeMilleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. -Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac (1735)
To Larry Kirshbaum, friend, editor, and gambling partner.
Through my binoculars, I could see this nice forty-something-foot cabin cruiser anchored a few hundred yards offshore.

Wounded in the line of duty, NYPD homicide detective John Corey convalesces in the Long Island township of Southold, home to farmers, fishermen -- and at least one killer. Tom and Judy Gordon, a young, attractive couple Corey knows, have been found on their patio, each with a bullet in the head. The local police chief, Sylvester Maxwell, wants Corey's big-city expertise, but Maxwell gets more than he bargained for.

The early signs point to a burglary gone wrong. But because the Gordons were biologists at Plum Island, the offshore animal disease research site rumored to be involved in germ warfare, it isn't long before the media is suggesting that the Gordons stole something very deadly. Suddenly a local double murder becomes a crime with national and worldwide implications.

John Corey doesn't like mysteries, which is why he likes to solve them. His investigations lead him into the lore, legends, and ancient secrets of northern Long Island -- more deadly and more dangerous than he could ever have imagined. During his journey of discovery, he meets two remarkable women, Detective Beth Penrose and Mayflower descendant Emma Whitestone, both of whom change his life irrevocably. Ultimately, through his understanding of the murders, John Corey comes to understand himself.

Hachette Book Group

3 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446605409, 0446679089, 044651506X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,290,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible