River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze (P.S.)…

River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze (P.S.) (original 2001; edition 2006)

by Peter Hessler

This text presents an account of American aid worker Peter Hessler's time spent in the town of Fuling on the Yangtze River during the late 1990s, a time of great change for China. He observes the natural beauty of the area and shares the lives of the local people. He directs a production of Hamlet and runs in the town marathon. He also discusses how national and international events such as the construction of the Three Gorges Dam and the return of Hong Kong to the mainland affected the people of Fuling.… (more)
Member:d_ray
Title:River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze (P.S.)
Authors:Peter Hessler
Info:Harper Perennial (2006), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback, 432 pages

Work Information

River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze by Peter Hessler (2001)

Country Driving: A Chinese Road Trip by Peter Hessler (dhm)
    dhm: Three more settings: The Road, The Village, The Economic Zone
    Sailing Through China by Paul Theroux (John_Vaughan)

I like the personal account, I think it allows the reader to see the strangeness of late 90s China better than an impersonal history book. The story is very engaging and multiple threads are woven without any one dragging on. It probably helps that the author seams like a nice person so even though he's almost as alien to me as China is, it's easy to sympathise with him. ( )
  Paul_S | Dec 23, 2020 |
River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze by Peter Hessler is a terrific non-fiction book. The author tells his two years of successful teaching experience in a small town. His knowledge of modern Chinese history including the local history of Sichuan Province is amazing. It’s incredible that Hessler learned Chinese and used it with his colleagues and students as well as local residents, especially peasants, to gain first-hand experience and understand the culture and society as well. He makes literature alive for the Chinese students from peasants’ families through their performance of Shakespeare’s Hamlet and the discussion of Kate Chopin’s “Désirée's Baby.” From the incident to the students’ performance of Don Quixote, the reader can picture Mao’s style of political control even over two decades later after his death. Peter Hessler is definitely an invaluable China Hand. ( )
  zoe.r2005 | Oct 20, 2020 |
Truly amazing. I learned more about China from this book than I did in my college level Chinese culture class. ( )
  otaginenbutsuji | Nov 12, 2019 |
I really wanted to like it, but the writing is so distant that I feel absolutely no connection with the author, or any sense that he had emotions about the occurrences. Giving up on this one. ( )
  liz.mabry | May 13, 2019 |
Just too dry. I enjoyed looking up the places and history from the story
  LASMIT | Apr 22, 2019 |
for my parents
I came to Fuling on the slow boat downstream from Chongqing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,052,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible