The Woman with Two Shadows by Sarah James

The Woman with Two Shadows (edition 2022)

by Sarah James (Author)

244835,432 (4)None
"A riveting tale about a town and its people that officially never existed and the secrecy behind one of the Manhattan Project's top-secret cities...beautifully written and captivating!" --Kim Michele Richardson, New York Timesbestselling author of The Book Woman of Troublesome Creekand The Book Woman's Daughter For fans of Atomic City Girlsand The Secrets We Kept, a fascinating debut historical novel of one of the most closely held secrets of World War II and a woman caught up in it when she follows her missing sister to the mysterious city of Oak Ridge, Tennessee. Lillian Kaufman hasn't heard from her twin sister since Eleanor left for a mysterious job at an Army base somewhere in Tennessee. When she learns, on an unexpected phone call, that Eleanor is missing, Lillian takes a train from New York down to Oak Ridge to clear up the matter. It turns out that the only way into Oak Ridge is to assume Eleanor's identity, which Lillian plans to do swiftly and perfectly. But Eleanor has vanished without a trace--and she's not the only one. And how do you find someone in a town so dangerous it doesn't officially exist, when technically you don't exist either? Lillian is thrust into the epicenter of the gravest scientific undertaking of all time, with no idea who she can trust. And the more she pretends to be Eleanor, the more she loses her grip on herself.… (more)
Member:CandyH
Title:The Woman with Two Shadows
Authors:Sarah James (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2022), 400 pages
Rating:***1/2

Work Information

The Woman with Two Shadows: A Novel of WWII by Sarah James

This was an interesting story with much history to consider. The relationship between twin sisters also made for interesting reading. ( )
  CandyH | Sep 22, 2022 |
For a book that I can’t describe as much more than okay, this was a hard one to put down. It was filled with intrigue and suspense but I never managed to relate to the characters. The bulk of it took place at the Manhattan Project facility in Oak Ridge, TN. where main character Lillian’s twin sister has gone missing. Lilian's there to find out if something happened to her sister or did she simply want to get away, especially after what Lillian did back in New York. And what of the other disappearances and rumors about human testing on whatever it is they’re secretly working on?

I think if this had focused more on the historical aspect of the story and less on the dramatic I would have liked it better than I did. That, and if the main character would have been a little more sympathetic instead of so self-centered. The writing is good and the plot definitely held my attention, it’s just the characters and their dynamics that didn’t work for me.

My thanks to the publisher and Goodreads Giveaways for a digital copy of this book to review. ( )
  wandaly | Aug 9, 2022 |
This is Lillian Kaufman’s story, a woman before her time, or a woman in a man’s world, and of all things she want to be a Physicist, and go to Harvard!
Her twin Eleanor is completely different, she is an actress, and though they are look alikes, they are very different!
There is the usual drama that surrounds sisters, or twins, but beyond everything they are family, and when one is missing, well, the other moves mountains, or in this case goes to a secret place in Tennessee.
Eleanor is not the only one missing, and now we are looking for answers, and some will unsettle you.
This is a story of secrets, some people keep, others a Government keeps. Answers come and there are surprises, and hopefully answers! Yes, this becomes a page turner looking for answers!
I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Sourcebooks Landmark, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Jun 26, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,779,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible