End of Story

by Peter Abrahams

Aspiring author Ivy Seidel accepts a part-time position teaching writing to a group of convicted criminals hoping the experience will add depth and darkness to her own work. But in the haunting writings of charismatic inmate Vance Harrow she discovers a talent possibly greater than her own. And in the startling, disturbing stories Harrow has to tell, Ivy finds a dangerous new purpose--and a terrifying temptation that lures her into an inescapable world of shadows.… (more)
    Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These menacing psychological suspense stories star intelligent young women seeking the truth about convicted murderers. Although their investigations place them in mortal danger, the desire to see justice served trumps personal safety. Both tales are fast-paced and intricately plotted.… (more)
    Running the Books: The Adventures of an Accidental Prison Librarian by Avi Steinberg (PLReader)
    PLReader: A non-fiction account of working with inmates in a Boston prison library (including a creative writing class).

New Yorker Ivy Seidel wants to be a writer. Until that happens, she gets a job at Dannemora Prison, a supermax prison, as a writing teacher. While teaching, Ivy falls under the spell of Vance Harrow, a violent criminal with incredible writing ability. Abrahams sets up the plot, and the reader watches spellbound as it unfolds.
  ktoonen | Jul 19, 2015 |
Ivy is a struggling writer who teaches a class in a prison and is impressed with the writing ability of one of the students. She suspects that he is innocent, tries to prove it, breaks him out of jail, etc. I thought it was quite suspenseful, although Ivy was a twit to believe the guy and there were several unbelievable episodes. ( )
  terran | Jan 24, 2010 |
Not one of Peter Abraham's better books. The story line was good and descriptive but the main character Ivy Seidel was boring and uninteresting. The storyline was believable but then it just ended.

I would recommend A Perfect Crime by Peter Abrahams. ( )
  Sunflower6_Cris | Aug 28, 2009 |
Peter Abrahams has been a favorite author of mine for years, so I had high expectations for this book. Unfortunately, I was rather disappointed in this one.

The plot had great potential, and started out very good. But near the middle of the book everything seemed to go flat. Even though the story was laid out well, as good authors know how to do, I found myself losing interest and getting rather bored. I could almost have predicted how the entire second half of the book was going to go.

Although the ending held a couple nice final unexpected twists, overall, this book was mediocre at best. ( )
  porchsitter55 | Oct 4, 2008 |
Aspiring NYC writer ends up teaching writing to tough prison inmates, one of whom she befriends and believes innocent. She plays detective to discover the truth of his story and unbelievable solves what the local cops could not. However, the characters, story, and twist and turns kept me reading this excellent mystery with a slightly suprising ending. I would read more of and recommend Peter Abrahams to my friends. ( )
  slkrbru | Nov 21, 2007 |
In his new novel, END OF STORY, Peter Abrahams opens with his main character, a struggling writer named Ivy Seidel. Here, "struggling" means that she's living in Brooklyn and working in Manhattan as a bartender. I suppose it's possible for a struggling writer to be based out of Red Bank, New Jersey or Laredo, Texas, but they always seem to end up in New York tending bar. This may not sound like a good long-term strategy, but it turns out that being a bartender in New York can mean that an editor from the New Yorker will walk into your establishment, order a Budweiser, and offer to read your next short story submission.

It turns out that Ivy, our plucky heroine, has a second job teaching inmates at the Dannemora Prison in upstate New York. Her best friend sells a screenplay to a Hollywood studio, and Ivy inherits the job. It turns out that the inmates --- including a looming Hispanic weightlifter, a serene African-American lifer, and a timid white Ivy League accountant --- have some hidden talents in the writing field. Furthermore, one inmate (who has real talent) may very well be innocent. . . .

To my nieces and nephews - Lauren, Shane, Jake, Rachel, and Maddy
"How is going the writing?" said Dragan Karodojic.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,357,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible