Dreamland

by Nicholas Sparks (Author)

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Wish comes a poignant love story about risking everything for a dream--and whether it's possible to leave the past behind.   Colby Mills once felt destined for a musical career, until tragedy grounded his aspirations. Now the head of a small family farm in North Carolina, he spontaneously takes a gig playing at a bar in St. Pete Beach, Florida, seeking a rare break from his duties at home.   But when he meets Morgan Lee, his world is turned upside-down, making him wonder if the responsibilities he has shouldered need dictate his life forever. The daughter of affluent Chicago doctors, Morgan has graduated from a prestigious college music program with the ambition to move to Nashville and become a star. Romantically and musically, she and Colby complete each other in a way that neither has ever known.   While they are falling headlong in love, Beverly is on a heart-pounding journey of another kind. Fleeing an abusive husband with her six-year-old son, she is trying to piece together a life for them in a small town far off the beaten track. With money running out and danger seemingly around every corner, she makes a desperate decision that will rewrite everything she knows to be true.   In the course of a single unforgettable week, two young people will navigate the exhilarating heights and heartbreak of first love. Hundreds of miles away, Beverly will put her love for her young son to the test. And fate will draw all three people together in a web of life-altering connections . . . forcing each to wonder whether the dream of a better life can ever survive the weight of the past.… (more)
Member:libaries75
Title:Dreamland
Authors:Nicholas Sparks (Author)
Info:

Work Information

Dreamland by Nicholas Sparks

Sparks has melded two stories that eventually turn out to be one. The trick is to understand how they work together. Another love story that is a delight to read. ( )
  pgabj | Nov 19, 2022 |
This book is about two people: Colby, a farmer/singer/songwriter who lives with his sister in rural North Carolina while managing a farm with his widowed aunt. He meets Morgan while on a working music vacation in Florida; and Beverly, an abused wife who manages to escape her husband with her 6-year-old son. The relationship between Colby and Beverly is unclear for most of the book, but becomes crystal clear near the end. ( )
  baughga | Nov 7, 2022 |

4.5⭐️

Nicholas Sparks does not disappoint in his new novel! It had a bit of everything you want in a love story but with a bit of a twist that I didn't really see coming until just before the reveal.

You won't be disappointed with this one. It is told in alternating perspectives of two characters. Colby, an instantly loveable musician/farmer (yup he's a farmer), who finds love even when he isn't looking for it. You want everything to go right for this hardworking young man. Then there is Beverley, a mother trying to start a new life with her son away from her abusive ex husband. This part has a real Safe Haven feel to it. As she is running and hiding, she starts to get more and more paranoid that her husband has followed and found her. Your heart simply breaks for her! Their two stories intertwine but not in the way you would expect.

There were many other great characters and the story felt so real that anyone could have been a part of it. This is an emotional story so be ready to have a roller-coaster of emotions course through you as you read about Colby's sweet live story and Beverley's harrowing escape.

The book was well paced and I enjoyed the back and forth between characters. Another great hit by Nicholas Sparks that I urge you to read!

Thanks to Tandem Collective Global, Doubledayca and Nicholas Sparks for the readalong copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kristyn44 | Oct 2, 2022 |
Liked: The twist, the Beverly storyline

However: Can we be done with falling in love over 2 days whilst on holidays? Was not needed for this story! ( )
  Amzzz | Sep 28, 2022 |
Many thanks to NetGalley, and Nicholas Sparks for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving an advance copy.

Colby, a farmer by day, is taking some time off to go play a gig in Florida at a local bar. He had a troubled childhood and never gave music a real shot but he is happy to work on the farm. His aunt needs the help and his sister Paige, who helped raise Colby, has returned home as well. This will give him a much needed break. One night in walks Morgan, with her group of friends, also celebrating finishing school and sparks fly.

Beverly is on the run. She has narrowly escaped her abusive husband and taken her young son Tommy with her. They have one knapsack each and only a tiny bit of money. She knows she needs to get a job, something that pays cash since she could’t take her ID with her. Her husband works for Homeland, so he will be on the hunt for them and has every resource at his disposal. She can only pray that she was careful enough.

And so the story begins. Told with these dual perspectives Sparks leads us through a tale of highs and lows. The juxtaposition of young love and the abused on the run mother and child. You know that at some point the stories are going to converge but to be honest even when I thought I had figured it out, I hadn’t.

I’m not sure how to feel about this one. I think I went into this wanting a “Notebook” and got something different. It wasn’t bad different, it was just different. I found myself liking the parts about Colby and Morgan, but eventually I got caught up in Beverly’s struggles as well. The writing is solid, the characters a little cookie cutter. My only issue really was the ending. I don’t want to give away too much, but I felt like Sparks had created a solid epilogue and then boom took a serious left turn.

Overall I enjoyed the book. It was an easy read, perfect for summertime beach reading or a lazy afternoon any time. I am recommending you pick it up and give it a try. Rating 3.5 stars. ( )
  PinkPurlandProse | Jul 11, 2022 |
For Abby Koons, Andrea Mai, and Emily Sweet

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,202,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible