Luna Marine (1999)

by Ian Douglas

The revelations on Mars -- a half-million year-old legacy of the vanished star-traveling Builders -- have fed the flames of catastrophic war. A beleaguered United States and its Russian and Japanese allies struggle to hold their own against the indomitable forces of the enemy United Nations. The bloody conflict that has swept over the home planet now rages across the blackness of space -- with the U.S. Marine Corps in the vanguard, leading the charge as always. But Mars is not the sole repository of alien wonders. The Earth's moon hides unsettling mysteries of its own-and dangerous secrets pointing toward an unstoppable threat advancing from somewhere beyond the solar system. And as scientists on both sides ract to utilize technology they have only barely begun to comprehend, the UN makes the opening move in a gambit that could end the hostilities quickly and decisively by bringing about the death of millions...without the aid of alien-inspired weaponry. A bad situation worsens by the nanosecond. And that means it's time to call in the Marines -- to make a life or death stand on the gray shores of Luna.… (more)

Douglas, Ian. Luna Marine. Heritage Trilogy No. 2. Harper Voyager, 1999.
When I first read Luna Marine in 2018, I gave it a dismissive rating and did not bother to write a review. I think I must have been annoyed at the all-too-busy plot and the derivative nature of the boot camp story, not to mention the Face-on-Mars trope it inherited from the first novel in the series. But rereading it in 2021, I think I should have given it more credit for some inventive near-future tech, albeit based on the what if we had some alien future tech to kick start our thinking trope. There is, for example, a cool explanation of why an antimatter drive would be more efficient than a plain old fusion drive. Finally, there is a riveting description of something very bad happening to Chicago. Not all the satire aimed at religious cults and United Nations bureaucracy works. On second thought then, three and a half stars, rounded down. ( )
  Tom-e | Apr 20, 2021 |
This author is phracked up.

Starts out with a scene of a 17 year old boy wanking off to his hacked A.I., which is why I gave this the sexually-graphic tag.

Then lots of swearing by marines at the beginning, which once again tapers off the more we go on.

Then lots of boringness. Seriously, do I need a whole page describing how the space marines are checking each other's suits? Or what a stupid space assault vehicle looks like, line by line?

Then the political/philosophical/religious chatter. Oh my goodness.

I wanted a good action story from this author and was lead to believe that was what I was going to get. Nope, not a chance. Instead, I get some pinhead's borked up attempt.

I will read the final book in the trilogy, but won't be reading more. Which I find sad, as I know there are at least 6 more books by this author, and regular scifi is hard to come by these days. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The second of Ian Douglas’ future history of the Marine Corps, Luna Marine is exciting and a good read. In this volume, the marines find themselves fighting on earth and on the moon for science and the rights of people to believe what they want. A cave is discovered on the dark side of the moon that contains alien technology and can shed some light on the history of mankind and mans place in the cosmos. ( )
  burningtodd | Feb 18, 2010 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,138,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible