Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted…

Stories of Your Life and Others (original 2002; edition 2016)

by Ted Chiang (Author)

1,708664,160 (4.31)1 / 71
Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:Stories of Your Life and Others
Authors:Ted Chiang (Author)
Info:Vintage (2016), Edition: Reissue, 304 pages

Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang (2002)

Recently added byLitaVore, thallada, DMCrimson, blythegil, private library, Unicorn29, bigbaddom, hevabean, sci901

English (59)  French (4)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (66)
This collection is some of the most original hard science fiction I've ever read.
While I enjoyed this book, at times it felt as if I was reading a textbook. It took great concentration to follow along with the "science" parts. I think people that don't normally read SF, would probably have a hard time as well.
I would only recommend this book to hardcore SF fans. ( )
  antrat1965 | Apr 7, 2017 |
There are SFF writers who are highly creative, original thinkers . . . and then there's Ted Chiang. His settings are so inventive that I can find myself shocked on every page, and yet the follow through is so well done that his worlds start to make more sense then our own.

If you're here just for "Story of Your Life" (adapted as the film Arrival), you won't be disappointed, but the other stories are also worth your time. ( )
  Katya0133 | Mar 28, 2017 |
Superb. Amazing collection of really inventive and imaginative science fiction stories. All of them are clever, all of them have some relevance to modern life, all of them branch out in an unusual and clever manner. Some are of course better than others, but even the least good of the stories is still much better than so many others I've read.

It's very difficult to review collections of short stories, especially one covering such diverse themes as this. The title 'Story of your Life' was recently adapted into a film, and I can see how that would have worked although I haven't seen it. Aliens have arrived on earth, but communication has not been achieved until your heroine changes how she sees the world. Many of the other stories sort of follow a similar theme - changing your view of how you see religion, death, fashion etc. The title story is great, but some of the others are probably even better, 'Liking what you see:A Documentary' is my favourite. A series of interviews with college students leading up to a vote on whether or not to apply a mental block against physical beauty. This is true of all the stories - the science is hand wavy. It's there to provide a concept, and a context not for rigorous understanding of the physical universe we live - and yet even better, as far as I could tell, none of the "Laws of Nature" we know about have broken. There's no FTL etc.

Some of the best SF I've read in a long time. Thought provoking, unique, clever, relevant, fun and well written. What more could you ask for? I just wish he'd write a novel, or a LOT more stories. ( )
1 vote reading_fox | Mar 26, 2017 |
Excellent sff story collection, includes "Arrival" story the 2016 movie is based on. S says all the stories are superb. ( )
  tripleblessings | Mar 24, 2017 |
Wow. These are neat. Really inventive and thought provoking. Four and a half stars -- the writing has a... a feeling of hard, clinical precision which is absolutely appropriate to the stories told, but my last half star just skittered off its cold surface. Admittedly this effect was probably magnified by the readers, as I enjoyed this as an audio book, but that is my impression nevertheless. I highly recommend this to fantasy/sf readers looking for something original and mentally stimulating! ( )
  meandmybooks | Mar 9, 2017 |
For Brian Chiang and Jenna Felice
In memory of
Brian Chiang
and
Jenna Felice.
Were the tower to be laid down across the plain of Shinar, it would be two days' journey to walk from one end to the other.

Collects these stories
"Tower of Babylon"
"Understand"
"Division by Zero"
"Story of Your Life"
"Seventy-Two Letters"
"The Evolution of Human Science"
"Hell Is the Absence of God"
"Liking What You See: A Documentary"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765304198, Paperback)

This marvelous collection by one of science fiction's most thoughtful and graceful writers belongs on the bookshelf of anyone interested in literary science fiction.

Collected here for the first time, Ted Chiang's award-winning stories--recipients of the Nebula, Sturgeon, Campbell, and Asimov awards--offer a feast of science, speculation, humanity, and lyricism. Standouts include "Tower of Babylon," in which a miner ascends the fabled tower in order to break through the vault of heaven; "Division by Zero," a precise and heartbreaking examination of the disintegration of hope and love; and "Story of Your Life," in which a linguist learns an alien language that reshapes her view of the world. Chiang has the gift that lies at the heart of good science fiction: a human story, beautifully told, in which the science is an expression of the deeper issues that the characters must confront. Full of remarkable ideas and unforgettable moments, Stories of Your Life and Others is highly recommended. --Roz Genessee

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:07 -0400)

Ted Chiang's first published story, "Tower of Babylon," won the Nebula Award for 1990. Now, collected for the first time, are all seven of this extraordinary writer's extraordinary stories--plus a new story written especially for this volume.

Small Beer Press

An edition of this book was published by Small Beer Press.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,876,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible