The Mist (Star Trek: The Captain's Table,…

The Mist (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #3) (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Dean Wesley Smith (Author), Kristine Kathryn Rusch (Author)

Series: Star Trek: The Captain's Table (#3), Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Captain's Table 3), Star Trek (1998.07)

There's a bar called "The Captain's Table," where those who have commanded mighty vessels of every shape and era can meet, relax, and share a friendly drink or two with others of their calling. Sometimes a brawl may break out but it's all in the family, more or less. Just remember, the first round of drinks is always paid for with a story...even on the planet Bajor. Do the people of the Mist have the ultimate cloaking device -- or a gateway to another dimension? Captain Benjamin Sisko doesn't know for sure, but the Klingons™, the Cardassians, and the Ferengi Alliance will stop at nothing to obtain the device. Now Sisko finds himself in the middle of a deadly struggle that could change the balance of power throughout the entire Alpha Quadrant!… (more)
Member:imlee
Title:The Mist (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #3)
Authors:Dean Wesley Smith (Author)
Other authors:Kristine Kathryn Rusch (Author)
Info:Star Trek (1998), Edition: 1st Printing, 271 pages
Collections:Unowned?, Your library
Rating:**
Tags:fiction, lee-read, fantasy & sci-fi

The Captain's Table: The Mist by Dean Wesley Smith (1998)

English (5)  Swedish (1)  All languages (6)
Mildly enjoyable, but ironically the interruptions that pepper Sisko's telling of the story eventually started to bother me as much as they bothered the characters listening to it in the book. Between them, those interruptions and the absurdly long denouement - as Kathryn Janeway gives a rambling stream-of-consciousness description of how she walked into a pub - mean the actual story just isn't that substantial. ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |
  leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |
Sisko stumbles into The Captain's Table. There he tells the story of his encounter with the Mist. Sotugh interjects with his feeling about what happened. There is an alien whose species places great value on stories. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jun 16, 2018 |
PLOT OR PREMISE:
This is the third in the series dealing with the bar called "The Captain's Table", a bar only for Captains across time and space. Sisko is in need of some rest, so he visits Bajor and finds the bar. And finds that the interesting aspect of the bar is that everyone gets to tell a tale. His tale is of a group known as The Mist. Centuries before, the Mist shifted themselves and their worlds out of normal space into a phased sub-space. Having left normal space behind, they have been excluded from the trials and tribulations of the Federation, the Klingon Empire, the Romulans and the Cardassians. However, they lure Sisko into their space to help them fight an apparent revolt by subversives who are going to phase-shift DS9 and use it in Mist space to attack other worlds.
WHAT I LIKED:
The story is interesting enough, particularly some of the new-to-the-Star-Trek-universe characters, and good involvement of the Klingons.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
The story jumps back to "normal" time too often to show the bar, when the story Sisko is telling is far more interesting. The characters and Klingon involvement are good, but are either not well-integrated in the main plot or just not developed enough. Plus, Kira comes off as some cartoonish clone of her real character.
BOTTOM-LINE:
Worth a read but not a "must read"
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the authors, but I do follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Feb 29, 2016 |
Easily my favorite of the first three novels in the Captain's Table series (sorry, haven't read the final three yet).
Dean Wesley Smith goes on my watch list for Star Trek fiction. The characterizations are seamless without being handled with clumsy exposition - and the command of language is just at the reading level I enjoy most. Never clunky and always clear with just the right level of sophistication.
The dialog is very good - so good, in fact, that I half believe the briefly alluded claim that the author himself may have spent some years working in a tavern.
The Mist is a great concept in a series that so often has to introduce a major threat at a regular pace - without the vehicle of the story seeming hokey and stale - an especially challenging thing in the DS9 setting since it is, for all intents and purposes, stationary in space.
I'm not going to go into spoiler territory - but I will say that the story carries a bit of a piracy vibe, but on a large and original scale. Originality, in the STU, isn't an easy thing to pull off - and I think it was accomplished here. I'll admit, however, that I'm not as well versed in the entire run of the series as I should be to make such a claim. It was original to me.
****1/2 ( )
  Daedalus18 | Jun 19, 2009 |

Dean Wesley Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rusch, Kristine Kathrynmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Star Trek (1998.07)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Captain's Table 3)
For Mark and Laura Nelson
On a vast front spread through the Alpha Quadrant, the battle between the Federation and Dominion waged on, ship by ship, sector by sector.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,771,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible