The Serpent Prince

by Elizabeth Hoyt

Series: Princes Trilogy (3)

Country bred Lucy Craddock-Hayes is content with her quiet life. Until the day she trips over an unconscious man - a naked unconscious man - and loses her innocence forever. Viscount Simon Iddesleigh was nearly beaten to death by his enemies. Now he's hell-bent on vengeance. But as Lucy nurses him back to health, her honesty startles his jaded sensibilities - even as it ignites a desire that threatens to consume them both. Charmed by Simon's sly wit, urbane manners, and even his red-heeled shoes, Lucy falls hard and fast for him. Yet as his honor keeps him from ravishing her, his revenge sends his attackers to her door. As Simon wages war on his foes, Lucy wages her own war for his soul using the only weapon she has - her love.… (more)

This was by far the best of the trilogy. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
An intense, desperate hero does it for me every time. I guess I really had missed Hoyt's writing because this very much hit the spot, and once I got to 20% I did not put it down. ( )
  samnreader | Nov 14, 2021 |
Beautiful. Beautiful and awful and wonderful and painful -- I could not put this book down today. I have had no sleep, dawn has broken, and I am still aching for the OTP. So much pain and love wrapped up in one novel. I think she saved the best for last in this trilogy (although I understand there is a final short story to wrap up a side character). Maybe I'm feeling overemotional to begin with, but this book moved me. I also really love the way she continues to play with class/upbringing distinctions and throws them aside. I will definitely be reading more by Hoyt. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |
Lucy, while taking a peaceful walk stumbles across a man she assumes is dead, but upon futher investigation finds that he is injured, and takes him back to her home to help heal him back to health. Simon, is bent on revenge, however Lucy startles his sensibilities to the point where he craves her very touch, and aches to hear the sound of her voice. He knows that his life is not what he would have for her, since everything in him vows to take revenge for his brothers death on those that killed him, but Lucy's love will be the one to save him as nothing else could...
The Serpent Prince is the third installment in the series. After reading the first book in the series, I loved it so much that I desperately couldn't wait to read the rest of the books in the series, and I just loved reading The Serpent Prince. From the very first page, I found myself captivated until the very last page, and even though I wasn't totally into the story, there was still a sense of mystery and romance that pulled me in. The characters were engaging, and their interaction with each other scrumptious. I also enjoyed how their was a sense of purpose in the characters and their interaction with each other was fascinating...although there were parts that I couldn't bring myself to like....the other much captivating parts made up for it. The sensuality between Lucy and Simon were intense and can at times leave a reader breathless in anticipation for more to come....Overall a Succulent and juice read that will warm you from head to toe.... ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 18, 2019 |
The Serpent Prince
4 Stars

Determined to avenge his brother’s murder, Viscount Simon Iddesleigh is beaten and left for dead on the side of the road by his enemies. Upon discovering the unconscious Simon, Lucy Craddock-Hayes nurses him back to health and ignites in him both an intense passion as well as deep-seated desire to be a better person. But Simon’s all-consuming personal vendetta overrides his honor and threatens not only his love for Lucy but her life as well…

Definitely one of Hoyt’s darkest books. While Lucy and Simon’s chemistry is intense and Hoyt is a master at writing scorching sex scenes, Simon’s obsession with vengeance overshadows their romance. It creates a conflict between the lovers that is virtually insurmountable as Simon is unwilling to give up his need for revenge and Lucy is incapable of reconciling his behavior with her love for him.

The fact that villains are truly evil and deserve the ignominious deaths that Simon inflicts on them goes a long way to mitigating his actions. Nevertheless, this does not negate the fact that he is murdering these men in cold blood, which does not present his character in a positive light. Moreover, the idea of Lucy’s supposedly redemptive love never fully materializes and she plays little to no part in the final climax and resolution.

The secondary characters in Maiden Hill provide some much needed comic relief. Lucy’s irate father, busybody best friend and curmudgeonly servant are all wonderful caricatures of life in a small English village and it is worth reading the book if only for their banter.

Overall, The Serpent Prince is the weakest installment in the Princes Trilogy (the books are only loosely connected through the friendship between the heroes), but it is well-written and gripping in parts. Recommended for readers in the mood for a little angst. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For JADE LEE, the critique partner who has it all:
coffee, chocolate, and wisdom...not necessarily in that order.
The dead man at Lucinda Craddock-Hayes's feet looked like a fallen god.

Elizabeth Hoyt is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,174,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible