Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

Book of a Thousand Days (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Shannon Hale

Fifteen-year-old Dashti, sworn to obey her sixteen-year-old mistress, the Lady Saren, shares Saren's years of punishment locked in a tower, then brings her safely to the lands of her true love, where both must hide who they are as they work as kitchen maids.
Member:aarti
Title:Book of a Thousand Days
Authors:Shannon Hale
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Fantasy, Fairy Tales, Romance, Young Adult, E-Book, Asia

Work Information

The Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale (2007)

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (wordcauldron)
    Bound by Donna Jo Napoli (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are Asian-inspired fairy tales that focus on the main character's strength of will and strength of mind. A different, but equally effective kind of bravery and girl power.
    Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix (meggyweg)
    Princess Academy by Shannon Hale (wordcauldron)
    Thorn by Intisar Khanani (HollyMS)
    Snow by Liz Braswell (Nikkles)
    Ever by Gail Carson Levine (foggidawn)
    Alphabet of Dreams by Susan Fletcher (foggidawn)
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (HollyMS)

English (145)  Spanish (1)  All languages (146)
A solid fantasy from Ms. Hale which warmed the cockles of my hardened heart. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 28, 2022 |
Shannon Hale is master of taking well-loved tropes and turning them on their head. She uses the same trope as in the Goose Girl, where the servant girl changes places with her mistress, except the lady asks the servant girl to pretend, and the girl stays loyal even when the requests become more difficult to fulfill. I found myself cheering for both of them. I wanted so badly for the servant to find happiness and the lady to stand up for herself. And while I think more than a thousand days passed, I was content in the end. The two ladies, the prince, and the villain were all fabulous characters, as were all the supporting cast. I still haven't read a Shannon Hale book I've disliked, and although this one was slightly darker than others I've read, it was still completely wonderful. ( )
  Constant2m | Aug 21, 2022 |
Very engaging retelling of The Goose Girl in a fantasy setting. The character has an excellent voice, and I was on pins and needles to the end. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
A good friend of mine suggested this book to me. She was reading it with her high schoolers as part of their library book club. My friend has never steered me wrong when suggesting books that I might like. Upon starting it, I was afraid that this might be the first book that she recommended that I wasn't going to like. It starts slow (but what can you really expect? The main characters are locked in a tower from the beginning).

However, once the account of the tower days wraps up and the story begins it really picks up. I loved the way the story ended up. Very sweet. I would definitely recommend this a quick read, and one that you will want to share your with others. ( )
  bookdrunkard78 | Jan 6, 2022 |
Another book that's a little outside of my normal reading material. This gave me quite an appreciation for Shannon Hale as a writer--I read Austenland and enjoyed it--but this was a different kind of book. How she is able to successfully cross genres is a testament to her skill.

I'm excited to pass this one on to my niece, who is blitzing through the Lunar Chronicle series. I think this falls into that same style or storytelling and world-building that she will enjoy reading. ( )
  ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |

Smith, AliCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, James NoelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, PattiCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Victoria
To the girl and the geese nine others said, Nay! But you poured me some tea and asked me to stay And built me a cottage at Bloomsbury Place With pillows on chairs and sun on my face. Our fifth together is me hugging you; May dozens more follow before we are through.
Day 1: My lady and I are being shut up in a tower for seven years.
PLEASE NOTE:
The lengthy list of "Cast Member"s are for the Unabridged Audiobook version, produced and published by Full Cast Audio for Family Listening, NOT a film version.

When Dashti, a maid, and Lady Saren, her mistress, are shut in a towe for seven years because of Saren's  refusal to marry a man she despises, the two prepare for a very long and dark imprisonment. As food runs low and the days go from broiling hot to freezing cold, it is all Dashti can do to keep them fed and comfortable. With the arrival outside the tower of two of Saren's suitors--one welcome, the other decidedly less so--the girls are confronted with both hope and great danger, and Dashti must make the desparate choices of a girl whose life is worth more than she knows. The Brothers Grimm fairy tale, Maid Maleen, is reimagined and reset on the central Asian steppes. [adapted from book jacket]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,204,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible