HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Finlay Donovan Jumps the Gun: A Novel (The…

Finlay Donovan Jumps the Gun: A Novel (The Finlay Donovan Series, 3) (edition 2023)

by Elle Cosimano (Author)

Series: Finlay Donovan (3)

From USA Today bestseller and Edgar Award nominee Elle Cosimano, comes Finlay Donovan Jumps the Gun--the hilarious and heart-pounding next installment in the beloved Finlay Donovan series. Author and single mom Finlay Donovan has been in messes before--after all, she's a pro at removing bloodstains for various unexpected reasons--but none quite like this. When Finlay and her nanny/partner-in-crime Vero accidentally destroyed a luxury car that they had "borrowed" in the process of saving the life of Finlay's ex-husband, the Russian mob did her a favor and bought the car for her. And now Finlay owes them. Mob boss Feliks is still running the show from behind bars, and he has a task for Finlay: find and identify a contract killer before the cops do. The problem is, the killer might be an officer themself. Luckily, hot cop Nick has just been tasked with starting up a citizen's police academy, and combined pressure from Finlay's looming book deadline and Feliks is enough to convince Finlay and Vero to get involved. Through firearm training and forensic classes (and some hands-on research with a tempting detective), Finlay and Vero use their time in police academy to sleuth out the real contract killer to free themselves from the mob's clutches--all the while dodging spies, confronting Vero's past, and juggling the daily trials of parenthood.… (more)
Member:joyblue
Title:Finlay Donovan Jumps the Gun: A Novel (The Finlay Donovan Series, 3)
Authors:Elle Cosimano (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2023), 304 pages
Collections:NetGalley audio ARCs

Work Information

Finlay Donovan Jumps the Gun by Elle Cosimano

Elle Cosimano has just released Finlay Donovan Jumps the Gun - the third entry in this fun, light hearted crime series.

I would suggest starting with the first book, Finlay Donovan Is Killing It, as each new entry builds on the one before. That way, you'll know how she got into this mess....

Finlay is a mom of two and writes romance novels as her job. All is well in her world...until it's not. Through a series of crazy events, she and her nanny Vero are now adept at hiding bodies, but aren't killers. Somehow though, a lot of dangerous people think she's - well - a contract killer.

What ensues is laugh out loud chaos - in all three books. The predicaments are far fetched, but honestly, the more preposterous the plot is, the more fun it is to read. This latest has Finlay and Vero still trying to fix what's gone before. Perhaps attending a community police camp might help them in finding and appeasing the 'real' bad guys. And bonus points for the sexy detective running the camp. He and Finlay have a complicated relationship. And really, Finlay also needs to do some research for her latest romance novel. Right?

It's impossible to not like Finlay as a lead. I'm not always so sure about Vero. I think there's much about her that we don't know yet. There's a large group of supporting characters that appear in each book.

If you're looking for a fun, light-hearted, escapist read, you'll find in this series.

When I read the first book, I immediately thought of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books. Indeed, Evanovich has provided a blurb for this latest...."Fresh, heartfelt and witty, Finlay Donovan Jumps the Gun is a twisty page-turner, and its relatable heroine Finlay Donovan is irresistible!" —Janet Evanovich. ( )
  Twink | Jan 26, 2023 |
The third installment of the Finlay Donovan mystery series is just what the doctor ordered for both my surgery recovery and to treat a generally weary soul. Read my full review here.

Publication is expected January 31.

#NetGalley #MacmillanAudio #FinlayDonovanJumpstheGun ( )
  joyblue | Jan 24, 2023 |
Hilarious!

My favorite, scarcely holding it together, burier of bodies, writer involved in criminal activities by accident, Finlay Donovan is once again sucked into a situation not of her making. Russian mob boss, Felix’s Zhirov is demanding her help to find Easyclean, a contract killer, and there’s little or no room for negotiation. It seems there’s also a mole in the police department. Sussing this out will take a keen eye and mind and absolute discretion—none of which Finlay cultivates. Neither does her account/nanny/ partner-in-crime, Vero.
To discover the perp will take infiltrating the police force and a course with the Citizens Police Academy supplies the cover needed.
Oh and Vero has some criminal types from a loan shark after her.
Her husband Steve is up to his old tricks. They all fall short but not without putting Finlay into embarrassing, if not outright dangerous situations
A hilarious romp. I snorted with laughter quite a few times. Oh and Nick, the police officer who sets Finlay all aglow? Well she just never seems to find quite the right time to do anything about it.
It doesn’t get much better than this.

A St Martin’s Press ARC via NetGalley.
Many thanks to the author and publisher. ( )
  eyes.2c | Jan 23, 2023 |
Finlay's search to find EasyClean, the person who put the hit out on her ex-husband, leads her to a week-long police training academy taught by none other than her would-be suitor Detective Nick Anthony. As Finlay works to keep herself and her nanny Vero safe from the mobster behind bars blackmailing her to find EasyClean, she can't help but be drawn into Nick's orbit despite her having been caught up in past criminal activity.

This continues to be a series that is highly entertaining and also keeps my rapt attention on the mystery at hand. A lot of the time, I'm just wondering how Elle Cosimano is going to spin things to keep Finlay from being discovered by Nick and others at the police department. I won't lie, I can't see things working out good for Finlay, although I hope there will be one and I have faith the Elle Cosimano can deliver.

I love the back and forth between her and Nick and this time around we get a lot of forward momentum for them. I think it helps that the main part of the book takes place in one location. We're not jumping around from place to place. It's a slight version of the locked-room mystery. Someone at the retreat is EasyClean, and I kind of like there being a limit on the suspect pool.

I like that were also getting more details about Vero's past. I wouldn't mind having Vero as the narrator of the next book, or to get a spin off where Vero takes center stage and Finlay acts as the sidekick. Vero is more caught up in her own things than Finlay is and I'm interested to find out how it will all wind up for her, plus I still feel like there's some missing pieces from her past we're still not privvy to.

Overall, another fun entry in the series. They keep digging themselves deeper and deeper. I'm just looking for how they'll eventually get out. ( )
  AmyM3317 | Jan 20, 2023 |
So much fun! This was my first Finlay Donovan book and I’m already looking forward to more. Elle Cosimano writes an engaging, quick, delightfully humorous mystery. I laughed at the witty humor and the current social culture references sprinkled throughout.

Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the opportunity to read this ARC. ( )
  likestotravel | Jan 15, 2023 |

Belongs to Series

Elle Cosimano is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,778,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible