The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann…

The Sorrows of Young Werther (original 1774; edition 2017)

by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (Author)

A major work of German romanticism in a translation that is acknowledged as the definitive English language version. The Vintage Classics edition also includes NOVELLA, Goethe's poetic vision of an idyllic pastoral society.
Member:Aminboldi
Title:The Sorrows of Young Werther
Authors:Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2017), 110 pages
Collections:My Audiobooks

The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (Author) (1774)

English (74)  Spanish (7)  German (6)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (100)
To our cynical, postmodern sensibilities, Werther may well come across as an arrogant, pompous and misguided young fool who is likely displaying the symptoms of bipolar disorder. However, anybody with a passing interest in the Romantic Movement should read this seminal novel. Given the bland, aseptic world we live in, perhaps we need a few messy, idealistic characters like the protagonist. ( )
  JosephCamilleri | Sep 12, 2020 |
Oh, Werther! If only you had learned some life lessons in high school, maybe you could have avoided dying over a woman you knew was taken from the beginning. Woe! ( )
  beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |
OK so first thing, LOOOOLL at that cover! It is not the version I read but I'm keeping it because it's definitely the best cover for this book.

So before I read this book I kind of expected to dislike Werther like I dislike Holden Caulfield...self-centered and annoying. And, yeah, he was pretty self-centered and annoying, but for some reason I kind of sympathized with Werther. He suffered so! I had to feel bad for him!

But really...I didn't. I don't want to diminish the pain of heartbreak, but Werther's really got his head up his ass. He talked about the pain of losing people but never really thought about the pain that his friends and family would feel at losing him. My feeeelings are so stroooong I can't even hold down a job because my feelings are always in the way, oh well, I guess I'll just continue being rich or whatever, but it's STILL SO PAINFUL BECAUSE LOTTE. Plus there was the guy who killed a dude because the woman he loved picked the dude instead of him, and Werther was trying to defend him because he totally understood the guy. And poor Lotte, now she has to live with the fact that her friend killed himself because he thought it would make her life better. That sucks.

I enjoyed reading this book, but I thought Werther could have toned it down a little. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
Sonunda Alman Edebiyatından bir eser okumak da nasip oldu.
Tarz olarak ilginç bir kitap.Kitabın neredeyse tamamı Werther'in yazdığı mektuplardan oluşuyor.Bu yüzden kitap tek taraflı yazıldığından kitabın sonundaki duyguyu alamadım.Ama Werther'in yazdığı mektuplardaki edebi dile hayran kaldım. ( )
  Tobizume | Jun 9, 2020 |
joder Werther cómo la lías ( )
  feverell | May 19, 2020 |
The legend that it generated a teenage-suicide epidemic across Europe is dubious, but the novel’s international popularity two hundred years ago can’t be overstated. ... Werther’s sorrows didn’t look petty to Goethe or to his original audience, and they ought to feel even more familiar to us.

Goethe, Johann Wolfgang vonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

I have diligently collected everything I have been able to discover concerning the story of poor Werther, and here present it to you in the knowledge that you will be grateful for it.
On 30th October 1772, Legation Secretary Karl Wilhelm Jerusalem in Wetzlar hot and killed himself with a pistol borrowed from J. C. Kestner, a friend of Goethe. (Introduction)
Sie ist mir heilig. Alle Begier schweigt in ihrer Gegenwart. Ich weiß nie, wie mir ist, wenn ich bei ihr bin; es ist, als wenn die Seele sich mir in allen Nerven umkehrte.
Wenn wir uns selbst fehlen, dann fehlt uns doch alles.
[Charlotte] was holding a loaf of rye bread and cutting a piece for each of the little ones about her.
Solitude in this terrestrial paradise is a genial balm to my mind, and the young spring cheers with its bounteous promises my oftentimes misgiving heart. Every tree, every bush, is full of flowers; and one might wish himself transformed into a butterfly, to float about in this ocean of perfume, and find his whole existence in it.

An alpine meadow / Sweet scent of grass and flowers / Below - the abyss. (KangarooRat)
An artist doomed,
Consumed by helpless longing,
He needed Prozac.
(hillaryrose7)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014044503X, 0141023449

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,775,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible