Les souffrances du jeune Werther by Johann…

Les souffrances du jeune Werther (1774)

by Johann Wilhelm van Goethe

A major work of German romanticism in a translation that is acknowledged as the definitive English language version. The Vintage Classics edition also includes NOVELLA, Goethe's poetic vision of an idyllic pastoral society.
Member:FrankensteinsMonster
Title:Les souffrances du jeune Werther
Authors:Johann Wilhelm van Goethe
Info:

The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (Author) (1774)

English (76)  Spanish (7)  German (6)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (104)
A Paixão do Jovem Werther 4/5
O Conto da Serpente Verde 3/5
Novela 2/5 ( )
  XavierPinho | Mar 10, 2021 |
To our cynical, postmodern sensibilities, Werther may well come across as an arrogant, pompous and misguided young fool who is likely displaying the symptoms of bipolar disorder. However, anybody with a passing interest in the Romantic Movement should read this seminal novel. Given the bland, aseptic world we live in, perhaps we need a few messy, idealistic characters like the protagonist. ( )
  JosephCamilleri | Mar 5, 2021 |
Book about a creepy sex pest which appears to have been written by an oblivious misogynist.

Great fun. I don’t think this hasn’t aged well. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
Before finishing this book, I was thinking I was not going to rate it too high. As Werther's unrequited love drove him to emotional, and then physical, extremes, I simply couldn't find him sympathetic. He was intelligent and well off, but his self-centered desire diminished him for me. But, I read quickly to the end and really enjoyed this short novel. I realized that the beauty of the book was its story, so well told by a then 24-year-old Goethe. Even though I didn't always like the titular character as a person, I wanted to know what he thought and how his story unfolded.

I must say I'm also a sucker for epistolary novels. I like seeing only through the words of the letter writer(s). It's like listening in on a conversation, but only hearing one side of it. There's so much you think about, like what the recipient thinks when reading it, as well as what was going on in the letter writer's mind vs. what they actually put on paper. And, to be honest, there's also the titillating feature of reading someone else's private correspondence, as if sneaking a peak at a letter left on a table or discretely reading over someone's shoulder.

The Sorrows of Young Werther is a book of moods. It looks deeply at relationships and also at nature. It is a Romantic book, the first I've read that wasn't originally written in English. I'm happy to have read it.
  drew_asson | Dec 3, 2020 |
Supongo que en medio de la ilustracion, hacer un libro de puro sentimiento tiene su merito.
A mi me ha dejado mas bien aburrido. Hay demasiada repeticion. Demasiada quejas sin mucho fondo. Al final estaba deseando que acabara, menos mal que el final al menos satisface.

Se salva un poco por estar bien escrito y relativamente romper moldes en su tiempo.
En definitiva, mas bien aburrido. ( )
  trusmis | Nov 28, 2020 |
The legend that it generated a teenage-suicide epidemic across Europe is dubious, but the novel’s international popularity two hundred years ago can’t be overstated. ... Werther’s sorrows didn’t look petty to Goethe or to his original audience, and they ought to feel even more familiar to us.

Goethe, Johann Wolfgang vonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

I have diligently collected everything I have been able to discover concerning the story of poor Werther, and here present it to you in the knowledge that you will be grateful for it.
On 30th October 1772, Legation Secretary Karl Wilhelm Jerusalem in Wetzlar hot and killed himself with a pistol borrowed from J. C. Kestner, a friend of Goethe. (Introduction)
Sie ist mir heilig. Alle Begier schweigt in ihrer Gegenwart. Ich weiß nie, wie mir ist, wenn ich bei ihr bin; es ist, als wenn die Seele sich mir in allen Nerven umkehrte.
Wenn wir uns selbst fehlen, dann fehlt uns doch alles.
[Charlotte] was holding a loaf of rye bread and cutting a piece for each of the little ones about her.
Solitude in this terrestrial paradise is a genial balm to my mind, and the young spring cheers with its bounteous promises my oftentimes misgiving heart. Every tree, every bush, is full of flowers; and one might wish himself transformed into a butterfly, to float about in this ocean of perfume, and find his whole existence in it.

An alpine meadow / Sweet scent of grass and flowers / Below - the abyss. (KangarooRat)
An artist doomed,
Consumed by helpless longing,
He needed Prozac.
(hillaryrose7)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014044503X, 0141023449

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,964,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible