Brida by Paulo Coelho

Brida (original 1990; edition 2008)

by Paulo Coelho (Author)

The story of a young Irish girl who dives into sorcery and experiments with different magical traditions. She meets a wise man who dwells in a forest, who teaches her about overcoming her fears and trusting in the goodness of the world; and a woman who teaches her how to dance to the music of the world, and how to pray to the moon. As she seeks her destiny, she struggles to find a balance between her relationships and her desire to become a witch.… (more)
Member:AliG3
Title:Brida
Authors:Paulo Coelho (Author)
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty Ltd (2008), Edition: Reprint

Work Information

Brida by Paulo Coelho (1990)

English (50)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (55)
I am more of a have my two feet on the ground person, so this twilight zone stuff does not click with me.
This book does contain some passages of life observations with a certaibn wisdom that one might like to underline. However, as there was little to the plot the plot (a chonical of self-discovery when learning how to be a witch), the most I can say is that I finished it--with some effort towards the end. Overall, the book seemed a bit of nonsense and rather simplistic in execution. ( )
  amaraki | Oct 20, 2021 |
After having read several of Paulo Coelho books, Brida is my favorite by far. Combining elements of magical realism with character development and prose that somehow feels more non-fiction than fiction, Brida is the story of a young woman slowly coming to the realization that she is a witch through the study of the Tradition of the Sun and the Tradition of the Moon. She finds her way with the guidance of two teachers, a magus who teachers her to trust in the goodness of the world, and a witch who teaches her to dance to the music of the world. I found much to love about the book, that is until the last few pages. In typical Coelho style, the ending is as anti-climactic and ambiguous as the rest of the book is engaging and delightful. For this reason, i give it 4/5 stars. ( )
  LoriFox | Oct 24, 2020 |
There were a couple of quotes of the book that really stuck out to me... "Brida spead out the contents of her wardrobe on the bed. SHe looked at each item of clothing...[some] brought back happy memories...if she got rid of them, she mught be undoing all the good things she had experienced while wearing them" - as a female I found this COMPLETELY relatable. I couldn't toss a lot of clothes because it reminded me of a special time. "Because anyone who comes into contact with sex knows that they're dealing with something which only happens in all its intensity when they lose control. when were in bed with someone, were giving permission to that person to commune not only with out body but with our whole being." - that was such a raw description of what sex is and how intense the connection is/could be/should be. I didn't take the quote down but in the book, Wicca spoke about how we talk on the phone we distance ourselves in which is like how a magical trance is. That made me think that phone calls make us lose intimacy that is often needed. I also loved how they explained soul mates. It is close to how I have always thought souls were which is mind blowing because I thought the idea was very rare. It was not my favorite book in the world, I got really bored in spots. The ending caught my attention again however. ( )
  jzw908 | Jun 3, 2020 |
more or less enjoying this book as i read it given that it had a different perspective and it had a lot of interesting commentary about developing your photographic memory. But it was also fairly unrealistic in terms of the love at first sight business. ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
Brida is perhaps the first book I read of Paulo Coelho and not the much revered "The Alchemist" and I am glad I did so. The level of mysticism and paranormal suspense embedded in Brida is just right to make it engaging and the usual Coelho preachiness is on the lower-end making it a far more enjoyable read. Coelho's characters Wicca, Magus, and Brida are much deeply developed in this book than the characters in The Alchemist which makes this book a much more captivating narrative than the latter. There are some sections of Brida which I have read multiple times and perhaps will keep reading them for the rest of my life. ( )
  Varun.Sayal | Nov 15, 2018 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Romanzo Bompiani (I libri di Paulo Coelho)
For N.D.L., who made the miracles happen, for Christina, who is one of those miracles, and for Brida
'I want to learn about magic,' said the girl.
True love allows each person to follow his or her own path aware that doing so can never drive them apart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,580,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible