The Blessing (1986)

by Gary Smalley, John Trent

The best-selling classic that helps children thrive today and experience a special future tomorrow. Now revised, updated, and enhanced for a new generation! Children of every age long for the gift of "the blessing" -- the unconditional love and approval that come from a healthy relationship with their parents. This life-changing gift, essential for instilling a deep sense of self-worth and unshakable emotional well-being, contains five essential elements: meaningful touch, a spoken message, attaching high value, picturing a special future, and an active commitment. Offering solid, practical advice and a fresh perspective on making this gift a bigger part of our families, The Blessing powerfully communicates these biblically based elements as necessary to prepare children for positive future relationships, including their relationship with a loving God. But what if we've missed out on the blessing in our own lives? The book includes hope for "reversing the curse" and helps readers find blessing in situations of divorce, death, desertion, adoption, and blended families. New to this updated edition are practical ideas, questions, exercises, and links for online resources -- plus practical advice for planning a blessing event for a child, preparing a written keepsake blessing, and living out the blessing every day of our lives.… (more)

English (4)  Spanish (1)  All languages (5)
I found the idea of movement being part of the Hebrew words for life and death interesting. The death of a marriage is very well represented by the idea of the couple moving away from each other. So, if you are trying to breathe fresh life into something then you should remember this idea of life being the movement toward. Want to keep a relationship alive? Then reach out to that person. ( )
  Jerry.Yoakum | Jun 18, 2019 |
Read this long ago and used it in a women's study group as our weekly text. Definitely filled with great insights, linked to the Biblical "blessings" in the Old/New Testament. A classic. Just saw they have republished an updated edition: I'm going to get it and read it again. ( )
  BDartnall | Oct 29, 2016 |
If you really want to know what life is all about and live a life of significance, this is a great book to help you on your way. ( )
  RonShore | Oct 28, 2011 |
I enjoyed this book. It was written in a combination of stories, lessons, and real life applications. The blessing that we are to give to our children is made of five parts: meaningful touch, a spoken or written message, attaching a high value, picture a special future, and active commitment. I will admit- at the beginning of this book I was a little confused- the entire idea of this book is very similar to the 5 love languages and I knew that was written by someone different. After reading more, I realize that although they are similar, they are not identical. I am planning on holding on to this book, but it instead of being a journey of self-discovery with some "aha" moment for me, it really was more "preaching to the choir."This book would be excellent for any new parent or first time parent, or a family with children who seem to be struggling. This book would be useful for ANY parent, Christian or not. The ideas in this book translate beyond Christianity and would benefit all children.I was provided this book for free from booksneeze.com for a review. I do not promise a positive review- only an honest one. http://www.oneminutebooks.blogspot.com ( )
  Coranne | Aug 3, 2011 |

Gary Smalleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Trent, Johnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to our wives, Norma and Cynthia, for their loving support and encouragement, and to four couples who have been a tremendous source of blessing to us in making this book possible: David and Karen Cavan, Doug and Judie Childress, Jerry and Judy LaBrasca, and Steve and Barbara Uhlman.
All of us long to be accepted by others. While we may say out loud, "I don't care what other people think about me," on the inside we all yearn for intimacy and affection.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,374,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible