A Heart Full of Headstones (2022)

by Ian Rankin

Series: Inspector Rebus (24)

4201959,692 (3.87)19
"John Rebus stands accused: on trial for a crime that could put him behind bars for the rest of his life. But what drove a good man to cross the line? Detective Inspector Siobhan Clarke may well find out. Clarke is tasked with the city's most explosive case in years, an infamous cop, at the center of decades of misconduct, has gone missing. Finding him will expose not only her superiors, but her mentor John Rebus. And Rebus himself may not have her own interests at heart, as the repayment of a past debt places him in the crosshairs of both crime lords and his police brethren. One way or another, a reckoning is coming--and John Rebus may be hearing the call for last orders"-- Provided by publisher.… (more)

English (18)  Spanish (1)  All languages (19)
This is prime Rankin, well at least until the end.

Framed as Rebus facing atonement for the sins of his past, it quickly diverts to a murder mystery. in this case, where the primary investigator is former protege Sioban Clark.

Rebus comes in and out of the tale, but most of the story is devoted to Clark and a corrupt station house.

The writing is crisp, and the story entertaining until the end.

The end comes abruptly, and I'm still not sure what happened. Even after reading the last page several times.

Still, Rankin is a master, and this one brings more pleasure than disappointment. ( )
  norinrad10 | Mar 31, 2024 |
Ian Rankin came to Winnipeg on his book tour for this book. I doubt Winnipeg is a major market for his books but he's been here several times and I like to support authors who include us on their tours. So I bought the hardcover and went to the author event and then got him to sign it. So, this book will be staying in my personal collection.

John Rebus is getting old and so is his arch nemesis, Morris Gerald Cafferty. Rebus is maybe doing a little better than Cafferty because he can at least walk his dog whereas Cafferty is confined to a wheelchair. Despite being on opposite sides when Rebus was with the police and Cafferty headed up the largest crime syndicate in Edinburgh, the two keep in touch. So, when Rebus gets a text from Cafferty it's not an unusual occurrence. Cafferty wants to hire Rebus to look into whether a former colleague who disappeared some years ago is alive and back in town. It was always assumed that Cafferty had Jack Oram "disappeared" because he cheated Cafferty on some jobs. Cafferty swears that he didnt and that Oram took off before he could do anything. Cafferty tells Rebus that he wants to apologize to Oram because although Oram did skim money from him he did it because his brother had died of cancer and he wanted to help out the family. Rebus isn't convinced of Cafferty's benevolence but he undertakes to look for him and pass on a message. Rebus' former colleague, DI Siobhan Clarke, Is part of a major inquiry into the murder of another cop who was threatening to spill the beans about all the corruption at one police station. This cop initmated that John Rebus was on the take even though he was never part of this station. Hanging over the development of the plot is the knowledge that Rebus ends up in court for some crime. As hard as it is for fans of the curmudgeonly detective to believe, could it be that DI Rebus was actually a bad cop? It's only when the reader gets to the end of the book that the nature of the alleged crime is revealed and we are kept on tenterhooks about what happens to him.

And we'll have to keep waiting for a bit more because Rankin took a sabbatical year in 2023. It sounds like he had fun (see his website) and I can't begrudge him some time off but he's promised a new book for the fall of 2024 and I'll be looking for it. ( )
  gypsysmom | Mar 27, 2024 |
I having been saying for years the end of the Rebus series is near. I liked this book a lot but it is clear there is probably only one more book left. I look forward to seeing the bang! ( )
1 vote cdaley | Nov 2, 2023 |
A good read for me, though not up to par. Rebus is back but is slowing down. He's still refusing to take care of his health and this does not bode well for the future. His unique relationship with the crippled gangster, Cafferty, is front and centre again in this story. It's a twisty and convoluted story, with a large cast of characters. I was challenged to keep track of who is who and who is good and who is bad. Rebus's protégée, Siobhan Clarke, is eclipsing her mentor as the protagonist and for me that is a good thing. There's still life in this series with her in it. Recommended, with some reservation. ( )
  BrianEWilliams | Sep 23, 2023 |
Seems like the end of the series, doesn't it? ( )
  drthubbie | Aug 10, 2023 |

Rankin, IanAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kim, LucyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lösch, ConnyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,153,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible