The Time of Contempt (The Witcher (2)) by…

The Time of Contempt (The Witcher (2)) (original 1995; edition 2013)

by Andrzej Sapkowski (Author)

Series: The Witcher (5)

1,419259,824 (4)19
Geralt the Witcher has fought monsters and demons across the land, but even he may not be prepared for what is happening to his world. The kings and armies are maneuvering for position, each fearing invasion from across the river, each fearing their neighbours more. Intrigue, dissent and rebellion are on all sides. The Elves and other non-humans are still suffering under decades of repression, and growing numbers join the commando units hidden deep in the forest, striking at will and then dissolving into the trees. The Magicians are fighting amongst themselves, some in the pay of the kings, some sympathetic to the elves. And against this backdrop of fear and contempt Geralt and his lover Yennefer must protect Ciri, orphaned heir and sought by all sides. For the prophecy rests on her, and whether she lives or dies she has the power to save the world - or perhaps end it.… (more)
Member:SMBrick
Title:The Time of Contempt (The Witcher (2))
Authors:Andrzej Sapkowski (Author)
Info:Orbit (2013), Edition: 1, 352 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

Time of Contempt by Andrzej Sapkowski (1995)

English (20)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (25)
The next book in the Witcher saga continues where the last book ended only spectacularly upping the ante . Fatal disruption in the wizard council, new Nilfgaardian aggression, we have everything but my favourite was Ciri`s trials in the desert. Undoubtedly one of the best fantasy series recently. ( )
  TheCrow2 | Jul 14, 2021 |
Geralt is back to slaying monsters at the outset of Book #2, reconnecting with Yennefer, who is on her way to a Conclave of Mages on the Isle of Thanedd, where she intends to enter Ciri into a well-protected school. However, Ciri decides the school is a prison, and decides to head off to find Geralt, whom she thinks will be sympathetic. Eventually, they are reunited only to witness the Conclave erupting into chaos, as various spies and sorcerers fight for supremacy after the Nilfgaard hegemony is unleased. Too many characters, not as deftly handed as in Game of Thrones in my opinion. On the other hand, Ciri as the Child of Destiny is now as important a character as Geralt in the Witcher series, surviving a grueling trek across a desert, after escaping through a Tower portal. Ciri is then captured for ransom, but manages a daring escape with the renegade Rats, of whom I hope to read more. Abrupt ending.
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
For the longest time I was sure to be rating this episode on the wonderful Witcher series with a full five stars, but in the end I couldn't. Some scenes were a little bit too clumsily written, the title was perhaps forced a little too much into the text (perhaps the Polish language has multiple words for 'contempt'?) and some portions could have used some more elaboration, for my taste.

However, now I'm being overly negative, because I simply loved this book. The story is really captivating. It has the fantasy of [a: Heitz|14735691|Marcus Heitz|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-632230dc9882b4352d753eedf9396530.png], the thrilling setups of [a:Fleming|2565|Ian Fleming|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1364532740p2/2565.jpg] and the humour of [a:Sanderson|38550|Brandon Sanderson|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1394044556p2/38550.jpg], all in one. Really incredibly enjoyable read and I can't wait for the next one in the series. In fact, I think I'm starting with it right away. :-D

I'm so happy I got The Witcher recommended to me. Somehow it seems that it hasn't found it potential audience of fantasy readers here in Belgium. ( )
  bbbart | Dec 27, 2020 |
Listened to audio narrated by well by David French. I really liked the narrator but the story itself jumps around and there are a lot of names and places making it difficult to follow especially while listening in audio format.

To protect Ciri, Geralt leaves Ciri with Yennefer for her protection and they travel to the conclave of mages, where things don't go as planned.

The world is in a state of unrest, with political plots and maneuverings not only with the humans but the elves and the mages as well. This installment comes across as a chaotic mess, with our heroes coming together and being separated and facing life altering changes. There's attempted rape and then the rescuer rapes her, There are very few likeable characters and the things I loved about the previous stories are in short supply in this one.

While there are important events that happen in this book making it a necessary read in the overall series, as in individual book it was just okay for me.

If you like my reviews I hope you will follow my blog. https://wyldheartreads.wordpress.com/
  wyldheartreads | Dec 14, 2020 |
I think the book suffers by not being in an anthology format. There were several parts that dragged or felt repetitive that would have been cut in a short story approach.

I really wonder what this book would be like if it were tackled like Rath and Storm. ( )
  kaitlynn_g | Dec 13, 2020 |

Andrzej Sapkowskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Belletti, RaffaellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
French, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simon, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brujeros, a. brujos entre norteños (V.).
Para poder ganarse la vida como mensajero a caballo, solía decir Aplegatt a los chavales que entraban al servicio, hacen falta dos cosas: una cabeza de oro y un culo de hierro.
When talking to young ones entering the service, Aplegatt usually told them that in order to make their living as mounted messengers two things would be necessary: a head of gold and an arse of iron.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,397,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible